PDA

View Full Version : Racquets on an Airplane

Blee1613
06-04-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm going on an international flight soon. I'll be flying with American Airlines. I just have a few questions.

1.Are racquets allowed as a carry-on

2.If so, how many

3.If they aren't allowed and I have to put it in the cargo hold, will that mess up my racquet? And if so, how? Ex: destroy the racquet, break strings, etc.

forthegame
06-04-2011, 09:43 AM
I've flown many times with several airlines. I just put the racquet in my suitcase in the hold. Not a single problem.

Fuji
06-04-2011, 09:51 AM
I heard as of late, that rackets are now considered in the "weapon" category and thus must be stored in your luggage and will NOT be allowed on carry on.

It might wreck your tension, but if you think about it, rackets are shipped via airmail pretty frequently I'd imagine, so it must not be too bad for them. Just look at all the pros on tour, they have to get to their destinations somehow!

:)

-Fuji

tennisfarmer
06-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Only the aero type racquets from babolat are allowed

Dgpsx7
06-04-2011, 09:56 AM
I have brought rackets on planes a few times. Never had any issues. I usually bring 2 with me.

The Djoker
06-04-2011, 10:35 AM
I saw a girl sitting in a terminal the other day with 3 racquets, 2 in poly bags. I imagine she was just carrying them onto the plane without a bag. Check airline websites, I feel like I have read something about this...

steve d
06-04-2011, 10:37 AM
I flew from Kansas City to Seattle with a racket in my carry-on last night. I only had one racket in my Dunlop bag, but I have flown numerous times with multiple rackets.
But when I was in Australia they were very strict about not allowing rackets in your carry-on luggage.

eliza
06-04-2011, 10:39 AM
I heard as of late, that rackets are now considered in the "weapon" category and thus must be stored in your luggage and will NOT be allowed on carry on.

It might wreck your tension, but if you think about it, rackets are shipped via airmail pretty frequently I'd imagine, so it must not be too bad for them. Just look at all the pros on tour, they have to get to their destinations somehow!

:)

-Fuji

Sure, in private jets.......
I am going to call, I am traveling to EU soon, I expect the normal a****s in Detroit, they just LOVE to make it difficult for you......

struggle
06-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Sure, in private jets.......
I am going to call, I am traveling to EU soon, I expect the normal a****s in Detroit, they just LOVE to make it difficult for you......

very few pros fly in private jets. but yes, federer just totes his along on his netjet "rental".

Smasher08
06-04-2011, 11:56 AM
It might wreck your tension

I've done it several times and never noticed any problems at all.

goran_ace
06-04-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm going on an international flight soon. I'll be flying with American Airlines. I just have a few questions.

1.Are racquets allowed as a carry-on

2.If so, how many

3.If they aren't allowed and I have to put it in the cargo hold, will that mess up my racquet? And if so, how? Ex: destroy the racquet, break strings, etc.

It varies by airline, but normally one racket in a sleeve is usually OK. If you don't want to risk it or if you are bringing more than one racket then I'd recommend buying a rolling duffel such as this one from LL Bean

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63916?pi=529359&subrnd=0&feat=63917-ppxsrx

There is a rigid bottom on it and your clothing will provide plenty of padding so no need to worry about damage to your rackets from handling or cold temperatures.

Fuji
06-04-2011, 03:10 PM
I flew from Kansas City to Seattle with a racket in my carry-on last night. I only had one racket in my Dunlop bag, but I have flown numerous times with multiple rackets.
But when I was in Australia they were very strict about not allowing rackets in your carry-on luggage.

That's what I remember hearing as well when I was looking into flight rules a while ago! I thought it was a general overview for most airlines these days.

As for the tension thing, It was merely speculation on my part, as the only downside of flying. :)

-Fuji

eliza
06-04-2011, 03:22 PM
My concern is putting my racquets as cargo, as you all know airport workers are not the most careful....Who knows how they would handle them, or just throw them at the bottom of the luggages.....Maybe better to FedEx them separately....

tennis_enthusiast
06-04-2011, 03:24 PM
I flew to Florida this year for Spring Break. I carried three of my rackets with me as carry-on items and put them in my backpack. I covered them up with a sackpack bag to keep them from getting scratched on the zippers and I didn't have any problems with the airline.

I'd be very cautious if I were you to put them in the cargo hold because I've heard the people that unload cargo off of the planes abuse the luggage. I chose not to risk my racket frames breaking so I just carried them on flight with me.

T-ennis 888
06-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Does carrying racquets on a flight affect string tension in anyway? Has anyone experienced this?

anirut
06-04-2011, 04:59 PM
I returned from the US with 3 rackets in the hold and they're all fine. As for string tension, I don't think you've got to worry. It's NOT hot up there, and your clothes will provide enough padding against the cold.

T-ennis 888
06-04-2011, 06:02 PM
I returned from the US with 3 rackets in the hold and they're all fine. As for string tension, I don't think you've got to worry. It's NOT hot up there, and your clothes will provide enough padding against the cold.

Thanks Anirut.

MGoBlue
06-04-2011, 06:15 PM
A few months back, I flew on Delta from Detroit to Puerto Vallarta, MX. I carried on 2 rackets in my Wilson backpack--no problem. However, on the return flight, I was not allowed to carry them on, and had to put them in my checked bag.

Spin-A-Lot
06-04-2011, 06:22 PM
AFAIK Airlines in the Philippines and Australia require tennis racquets to be checked in, whether domestic or international...what I usually do is check them in as fragile items and so far haven't had any problems..maximum I carry is usually 2 sticks...