PDA

View Full Version : Donnay Gold 94 vs BLX Tour 90

Fed Kennedy
06-04-2011, 01:32 PM
I went to the Donnay website and they say if your current stick is BLX 90 the gold 94 is the way to go.
They also said this about the Red 94 but I tried that one and found it pretty gutless.
Have any tour 90 fans samples the Gold 94?

TonyB
06-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Not sure why they would say that, since the Gold is MUCH lighter with a VERY low swingweight. A better selection would be the X-Black 94.

I'll let you know how it plays in a week or so.

UWBTennis
06-04-2011, 04:32 PM
They actually just matched you with the racket's taht is closest to that spec, so while the platinum is closer in weight, the gold has a 16 X 19 pattern so that's why they told you that, not very reliable in my opinion, but others have said that the gold is just an easier BLX 90.

highgeer
06-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I have several Wilson 88-90 users that really like the Gold 94. You can easily add the slides and 10g butcap and end up with a 12.1-12.4 oz. racket.

Mike

joeellis
06-05-2011, 03:27 AM
I went to the Donnay website and they say if your current stick is BLX 90 the gold 94 is the way to go.
They also said this about the Red 94 but I tried that one and found it pretty gutless.
Have any tour 90 fans samples the Gold 94?

I own 2 Gold 94's and I used to play K90's and I'd say that they are similar. I've also hit with the BLX90 and I think that both the K90 and Gold have more feel. They are not quite as muted as the BLX, but there is a very similar feel.

I currently have my Gold's weighted with 2-3 gr. slides @ 3 & 9 and the 5 gr. cap and the weight is 12.4 ozs., so there is room to add even more wieght. The Gold offers much of the plow thru offered by the Wilson's. There is more pop with the Donnay than with the Wilson's, which makes it easier to generate pace. I feel that there is only a very slight loss in accuracy with the Donnay's. Spin is generated easier with the Donnay, probably because the swing weight is less and it can really be whipped easily.

Oh, I almost forgot. The Gold is definitely easier to use with more forgiveness.

JoelDali
06-05-2011, 06:38 AM
Very similar sticks indeed.

Loved the Gold but I'm sticking around with Wilson.

Fed Kennedy
06-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Very similar sticks indeed.

Loved the Gold but I'm sticking around with Wilson.

still an 88 man, joel?

I admit I'm favoring the blx90 these days.

What I'm hearing from you guys is the Gold IS a comparable stick to the wilson, not a flimsier wannabe like the red 94, aerogel 100 type stick.

JoelDali
06-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Yeah my buddy had one a month ago and picked it up during our dubs game and didn't put it down. Its a solid, solid nice thumping racquet for box beam purists.

I'm currently alternating between PT90 and K90.

I've let the 88 go ever since I started winning my 4.5 league singles matches consistently with my PT90. This stick with Weiss Cannon SS 17 at 58 is truly a heavenly setup.

I took out the K90 with a fresh setup of Ultimate Duo yesterday and it wasn't nearly as powerful as the SS. I really had to struggle to generate pace it seemed.

Great volleys though oddly.

Power Player
06-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Did you find the Gold too light? I feel like the Donnays are super light sticks, even the Platinum swings so easy for 12ozs.

Fed Kennedy
06-05-2011, 10:25 AM
I think if you put all the strips and caps and what not you can push it up over 12 oz. For me around 12.3 or so is where the boom starts happening with most sticks.
I'm a little wary though. I took the red 94 out to hit with a super good junior and he was just bossing me until I switched back to Wilson. He thought the Donnay was an 80s racquet. He was like dont use that 80s racquet. lol.

Nextman916
06-05-2011, 10:31 AM
The Gold didn't feel remotely like any wilson 90 to me. Its way more flexy all around with a very noodly effect at ball impact. A similar effect as the PB10, but a tad stiffer. The power level is pretty high, I would go as far as saying it might be 2x as powerful than a K90. Spin was definitely needed to keep me from spraying.

The one I tested was stock weight, freshly strung with hollow core @ 55. Perhaps weighting it up to spec MIGHT make it play more similar, but I sincerely doubt it.

The Gold is a good stick in its own right, but I don't believe it belongs anywhere near the esteemed rank of wilson box beam 90's. Its too powerful and the control just isn't there. Its more of an in between players/tweener frame.

Fed Kennedy
06-05-2011, 10:44 AM
aha. interesting counterpoint nextman. it's hard to beat the 90inch wilson for sheer ballcutting feel

Readers
06-05-2011, 12:46 PM
The Gold didn't feel remotely like any wilson 90 to me. Its way more flexy all around with a very noodly effect at ball impact. A similar effect as the PB10, but a tad stiffer. The power level is pretty high, I would go as far as saying it might be 2x as powerful than a K90. Spin was definitely needed to keep me from spraying.

The one I tested was stock weight, freshly strung with hollow core @ 55. Perhaps weighting it up to spec MIGHT make it play more similar, but I sincerely doubt it.

The Gold is a good stick in its own right, but I don't believe it belongs anywhere near the esteemed rank of wilson box beam 90's. Its too powerful and the control just isn't there. Its more of an in between players/tweener frame.

You are not making sense here, it's very noodly, yet too powerful?

Nextman916
06-05-2011, 12:50 PM
You are not making sense here, it's very noodly, yet too powerful?

Noodly as in it bends alot in flex, noticeably more than traditional racquets esp at the throat.

Power Player
06-05-2011, 12:55 PM
I think the Donnays are definitley more flexy than the Wilsons as well. They have more power, and can plow the ball. They definitely look old school but play extremely modern. There is no way I wold be able to hang with a heavy hitter unless I had my Platinums, the red99 I demoed was just too light and I could not put weight on the ball. It reminded me of swinging a pure drive stock with much better feel.

Fed Kennedy
06-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Yes, I think my forays into light sticks are over. The manueverability advantage is offset by all the extra running. I wish the plat was 16x19 though, I need to vanity goat my extreme cc topspin bh.

If you weight up the gold, do you have a 16x19 plat? TW says the gold is stiffer, donnay says the plat is stiffer, it's confusing...

JGads
06-05-2011, 06:21 PM
^^

Confusing indeed. Here's the thing about these Donnays. No way they replicate the sublime feel of a Wilson 90, but they are capable of replicating the 90 series shot -- or getting very, very close to it -- in an easier-to-swing package. That's the thing, the feel isn't the best, but the shots are pretty great.

(basing my comments on my Dark Red experience, and the Plat 94 so far)

sunnyIce
06-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Very confusing. There is so much effusive praise for the donnays that it is difficult to get specific feedback on the gold94 vs the k90 series.

thx for all the feedback so far. it would be great if someone can take the time to add to the above comments. new users would be great.

i'm also curious to try out the gold94 but dont necessarily have the chance to demo right now.

Power Player
06-05-2011, 07:13 PM
I think the feel is great, if you like Head racquets and have the right strings.

The Wilson k90 always had an incredible feel to it that does not remind me of the Donnays. If you are unsure of how a Donnay feels, it reminds me of my Head Prestiges much more than the K90...It is almost a hybrid between the 2..but I think Prestige fans would really be the most drawn to the feel of the racquet.

That being said a guy with an N series Wilson hit with my Platinum, said he loved the feel but said it was more flexy than his Wilson N 95. I am not sure if that helps at all, but it seems like a stick that Wilson Mid and Head Mid fans should try out and see what they think.

sunnyIce
06-05-2011, 07:15 PM
yup, thats kinda the sense i am getting. a series of frames that typical dunlop head users might find to their liking.

Nextman916
06-05-2011, 10:38 PM
TW says the gold is stiffer, donnay says the plat is stiffer, it's confusing...

Reading too much into manufacturer and retailer specs can drive one mad (I've been there). But the platinum in this case is the stiffer frame for sure, and thats not just basing off the denser pattern.

stevewcosta
06-06-2011, 04:37 AM
aha. interesting counterpoint nextman. it's hard to beat the 90inch wilson for sheer ballcutting feel

Just think how great the ballcutting feel would be if Wilson made a 6.0 90. I predict an end to the Wilson box beams when Fed retires...I hope I'm wrong.

chip&chrge
06-06-2011, 07:43 AM
I have to agree with the last comment about box frames. I actually wish they brought that frame type to 95 si heads a la the PS 6.1 series.

I actually had an old Yonex that I pine for from the PS 6.0 vintage era....

Fed Kennedy
06-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Just think how great the ballcutting feel would be if Wilson made a 6.0 90. I predict an end to the Wilson box beams when Fed retires...I hope I'm wrong.

If Dolgopolov gets a haircut and wins a slam, we might be in luck. Also Fed will prob play another 10 years hopefully. It's weird that they re-issue the k95 but not the 6.0.

stevewcosta
06-06-2011, 01:00 PM
If Dolgopolov gets a haircut and wins a slam, we might be in luck. Also Fed will prob play another 10 years hopefully. It's weird that they re-issue the k95 but not the 6.0.

HAHAHA! Wislon just ****es me off...I have to spend tons of cash due to my addiction simply to try to find a 6.0 replacement. They keep falling short with rubbery rubbish like the K90, BLX...the 6.0 is easier to play with and feels much better - counterintuitive but true.

DonBot
06-07-2011, 05:10 AM
Yeah my buddy had one a month ago and picked it up during our dubs game and didn't put it down. Its a solid, solid nice thumping racquet for box beam purists.

I'm currently alternating between PT90 and K90.

I've let the 88 go ever since I started winning my 4.5 league singles matches consistently with my PT90. This stick with Weiss Cannon SS 17 at 58 is truly a heavenly setup.

I took out the K90 with a fresh setup of Ultimate Duo yesterday and it wasn't nearly as powerful as the SS. I really had to struggle to generate pace it seemed.

Great volleys though oddly.

Hey Joel,
Sounds like you are really sold on the Weiss SS 17, ever hit the 16l version in your tour 90s? I have been struglging to find a good string for my blx 90s I find I eat hybrids up in under 20 hours consistently even with 16g string. I was thinking about a full bed of the Weiss 17g . I was just affraid it could be excruciatingly jarring on misshits as the 90s can tend to be at the higher tensions. Sounds like you get great pop and control plus the reviews I have read say great tension maintenance....it sounds like a winner.