PDA

View Full Version : Yonex Ti 80 vs. LM Prestige Mid

Edward Clipperhands
06-27-2005, 07:44 PM
I was going to demo both of these racquets but wanted to know which is more arm friendly? I've had some shoulder problems and although I tried using the POG OS and didn't like the OS head size. About 3 years ago when I was using various demo racquests, I really enjoyed the Yonex Ti 80, the MP Tour-1, and the i.Prestige. I've heard a ton of good things about the LM Prestige mid.

What specs "qualify" a racquet as arm friendly? I'm also not going to use polyester string, which I've heard is unforgiving on the arm.

I sold my i.prestiges on **** and other than the i.Rad I gave to my girlfriend I am racquetless.

Any input/help is greatly appreciated.

datsveryinterestin
06-27-2005, 08:06 PM
the 345 swingweight of the LM Prestige mid can't be great for an ailing shoulder... if you accidently don't throw your toss out in front of you, that is gonna torque your shoulder big time....

camhabib
06-28-2005, 07:54 AM
Your best bet is to go with something lighter. Like datsveryinterestin said, the LM Prestige is a whole lot of racquet. I have it and can personally say that if you hit the wrong way or play for extended periods of time with even the slightest pain, your going to be in serious pain in no time. Itís a great racquet, and I love the weight, but sometimes it can be too much. If you have any injuries, lighter is better.

nViATi
06-28-2005, 08:36 AM
try the lm prestige mp instead if the mid is too heavy

hummer23
06-28-2005, 10:10 AM
yes tahts a good suggestion, also look into a yonex rdx mid or mp

armand
07-26-2005, 08:16 AM
I was going to demo both of these racquets but wanted to know which is more arm friendly? I've had some shoulder problems and although I tried using the POG OS and didn't like the OS head size. About 3 years ago when I was using various demo racquests, I really enjoyed the Yonex Ti 80, the MP Tour-1, and the i.Prestige. I've heard a ton of good things about the LM Prestige mid.

What specs "qualify" a racquet as arm friendly? I'm also not going to use polyester string, which I've heard is unforgiving on the arm.
Any input/help is greatly appreciated.The RD-ti80 is not very arm friendly. In fact it's one of the most 'dangerous' racquets I have used because it used to give me pain in either my hand, shoulder or wrist. It wasn't serious as I would recover from that in just a couple hours. However, I feel the 'grinding' in my arm on big forehands still.

Having said that, it's an amazing racquet and I wouldn't give it up any time soon.

Return_Ace
07-26-2005, 08:59 AM
The RD-ti80 is not very arm friendly. In fact it's one of the most 'dangerous' racquets I have used because it used to give me pain in either my hand, shoulder or wrist. It wasn't serious as I would recover from that in just a couple hours. However, I feel the 'grinding' in my arm on big forehands still

uhhh..........are you sure? i've had no problems with the Ti-80, well i lie, my shoulder hurts when i go to serve, but thats just due to it being injured and playing not giving it enough time to heal, but anways. Before i injured my shoulder i had abo****ely no problems with this racket, it is a great racket, but my only criticism is its less solid feeling compared to the LM Prestige Mid.

The mid, i demoed it once, it felt great but my arm was dead after using it for a few minutes, imo the swingweight of the racket is too high and i doubt i could last a whole set with it. However, if you can overcome this problem i think its a great racket.

dirtballer
07-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Everybody's body is different. I've used the TI 80 for about 4 years and have not had any arm or shoulder problems. I use a soft string which probably helps. I lose a little power with the soft string but gain comfort. I actually tried the RDX 500 MP for a short time and developed shoulder problems. I switched back to the TI 80 and the pain went away.

Kevo
07-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Dirtballer, I am curious. What grip size did you use on the TI 80 and what was the grip size on the RDX 500 MP?

Thanks.

dirtballer
07-26-2005, 12:50 PM
The grips on both rackets were 4 1/2 with Tournagrip added. I'm wondering, maybe if I would have added some lead tape to the RDX 500, it would have made a difference. The RDX 500 was close to 1/2 ounce lighter. Maybe my arm just didn't like the weight difference.

dirtballer
07-26-2005, 12:52 PM
I should have said 4 1/2 before adding Tournagrip which brought them both a little over 4 1/2

kookie411
07-26-2005, 01:52 PM
I have no problem with my current rd80 i use it almost a year now seem like it help my arm i used to have slight tennis elbow alway hurt when i hit backhand valley now i can go for that shot without worry the pain i might get at the impact (i also own 2 rd50 long ,2 mp1 ,rdx 500mp ,2 babolat pd ,5 wilson ps85 ,2 worrier ,2 dunlop mw200 ,3 fischer pro impact ) for serious match i alway have rd80 in my hand.

Kevo
07-26-2005, 02:45 PM
I have found the smaller grips more comfortable on the RDX frames. Not sure if it's the weight or some other aspect, but I prefer the 4 3/8 over the 4 1/2 or 4 5/8.

armand
07-26-2005, 10:46 PM
uhhh..........are you sure? i've had no problems with the Ti-80, well i lie, my shoulder hurts when i go to serve, but thats just due to it being injured and playing not giving it enough time to heal, but anways. Before i injured my shoulder i had abo****ely no problems with this racket, it is a great racket, but my only criticism is its less solid feeling compared to the LM Prestige Mid.

The mid, i demoed it once, it felt great but my arm was dead after using it for a few minutes, imo the swingweight of the racket is too high and i doubt i could last a whole set with it. However, if you can overcome this problem i think its a great racket.above I said that after each hitting session I'd have pain in hand, shoulder wrist for a couple of hours. I used to have to use two vibration dampeners! But that doesn't happen any longer for reasons I'm not sure(i think it was the string job).

But now I don't have any problems but, like I said, I DO feel the grinding which could cause problems later on. BTW I use NXT 16 @ 67 lbs

The ti80 is my main racquet for matches but for practice and practice sets I use the Prestige Classic. It's a much 'safer' racquet I have to say.

Return_Ace
07-26-2005, 11:22 PM
k, i think it could be that high tension you string at, i know recommended tension doesn't mean its the highest tension you can go to but, the ti-80 only has a 50-60lb range!, currently i've got NXT 16 at 57 (but i'm moving to 59/60 in the next string job)

armand
07-27-2005, 12:35 AM
k, i think it could be that high tension you string at, i know recommended tension doesn't mean its the highest tension you can go to but, the ti-80 only has a 50-60lb range!, currently i've got NXT 16 at 57 (but i'm moving to 59/60 in the next string job)no way dude! the tension range is 55-65lbs! Maybe we're not talking about the same racquet here? I'm using the Yonex Ultimum RD-ti80, made in Japan, 98 sq" head. I got mine in summer 2004. (Besides, 50lbs on a 98sq" head would be way too low)

Askmeo88
07-27-2005, 07:14 AM
Take a look at your grip size stickers.

For the URD Ti-80, sizes: L1, L2, L3 have a 50-60 range.

Sizes: L4, L5 have a 55-65 range.

I suppose this is a legacy feature from older Yonex racquets (ie: RD 7), as the URD Ti-80 has been around for a good, long while.

armand
07-27-2005, 07:20 AM
Take a look at your grip size stickers.

For the URD Ti-80, sizes: L1, L2, L3 have a 50-60 range.

Sizes: L4, L5 have a 55-65 range.

I suppose this is a legacy feature from older Yonex racquets (ie: RD 7), as the URD Ti-80 has been around for a good, long while.Wow, you know your stuff; yeah my ti-80 is L5.
What possible difference does grip size have to do with tension? Maybe they figure that someone with bigger hands can handle more of a beating or something?

Return_Ace
07-27-2005, 07:22 AM
yhmmm, well i have a UL3 lol, so mine says 50-60.

but i thought UL and SL only had summit to do with the weight.
and SLs are 1 & 2, ULs are 3+, so that doesn't make sense

monologuist
10-15-2005, 02:39 PM
is the ti-80 harsh on arm/shoulder b/c of small sweetspot/ jarring mishits, or is it just inherently stiff? If it's the former, it would be similar to its cousin the ti-70 long, which I was able to tame with lead tape.

armand
10-15-2005, 02:54 PM
is the ti-80 harsh on arm/shoulder b/c of small sweetspot/ jarring mishits, or is it just inherently stiff?None of the above. It just sometimes transmits these high frequency vibrations during hard hitting and high tensions(I string mine at 67lbs).
But I'll withdraw my earlier statement and now say it's not that bad on the arm(the discomfort I've felt is nothing compared to some of the injuries I've read on this board).

joe1987
10-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Try the Lm mid+ 1st.