PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about...

BooneTennisNic
06-04-2011, 10:57 PM
The babolat pure drive gt? The good the bad etc

USERNAME
06-04-2011, 11:22 PM
I diliked it with a passion. More power then I want (or need) in my preferred tension range, stiff feel, dampened string bed, hollow feeling, and I dont like wider frames in general. It was godplayer on serve for the most part, just had a hell of a time directing them like with the Prestige, 6.1, PS, and many others. Just didnt suit my style at all.

fuzz nation
06-05-2011, 06:35 AM
It's what I consider to be a middle-weight frame with extra stiffness, which can make for a good fit for a player that hits in a more modern style. Those strokes demand higher racquet speeds and angular contact to work the ball well.

Because of its stiffness, that frame can be quite lively, so some stronger players like to tame that "hotter" response with stiffer, less resilient strings like poly hybrids, etc. For any players who are susceptible to tennis elbow or issues along those lines, this is a very bad option. More of a "control" racquet with more flex that's paired with a softer string option is typically easier on the arm.

I like to do a lot of business at the net and I've always been more confident and effective when I volley if I'm using a racquet up around 12.5 oz. with significant head-light balance. That gives me a nice combination of stability and maneuverability. Not the case with the Pure Drives, but the stiffness in those frames can make for a healthy amount of pop on a volley compared with an alternative that has similar weight along with a lot more flex.

NLBwell
06-05-2011, 10:23 PM
I was surprised when I demoed one that I couldn't hit the ball harder with it. I usually use a very heavy racket and my strokes are grooved for that. Still, I expected to get more power than with my old-style flexy heavy frames, but couldn't get anything on the ball - neither spin nor power. Works for Roddick, so must just be me.
Funny, though, the hardest serves I ever hit were probably with some 9 oz Yonex granny stick - far lighter than the Pure Drives.