PDA

View Full Version : Is My Racquet "OK" Enough For Beginning? Help Pls.

ikon
06-27-2005, 09:18 PM
My parents went and found this racquet at an old pawn shop. Brand is WILSON. Has a vibration control thingy. On the side it says Midsize Frame Geometry. Also has SuperLight Power System written on the top. Its Black and White color. "L3" 4 3/8" (little to small im 4 1/2" grip, so dont know what to do there?). It says in the middle it has a mass weight transfer = says a higher/larger sweet spot and more power. Says all over in big SPS superlight power system. And the last thing of writing it has is PRO in caps on the left side written in large letters.

Guesing its 13 oz maybe or may be off i cant tell... anyway the string looks as tho it hasnt been changed since forever, could u guys help me out and maybe i need to get it restrung? what tension? type of string? its 16x18 string pattern and thats all i can tell u i guess.

Thats as best a description i can give u guys. It looks normal length and ok shape. Im guesing from the 1990s(early 1990s). Im hoping i can get some help from you pros on what racquet i have. Ive looked all over and cant find nuttin on it. But this is a great forum and hopefully you guys can help me out here and determine if its good enough? what i should do if not? and maybe find the racquet i have?

Thx for the help if possible...

Lakoste
06-27-2005, 09:29 PM
does it look like this

i foudn these pics on ****
http://i22.****img.com/04/i/04/5e/f5/9b_1.JPG
http://i23.****img.com/04/i/04/5f/d3/23_1_b.JPG

if it is, i doubt its 13oz and about the grip size just put an overgrip on and itll give it a litlle bigger grip size

ikon
06-27-2005, 09:33 PM
yes almost exactly the same one slightly different looking "PRO" on the side its a little darker pink and the pink slashes behind the word pro are smaller and black slashes outlined in gold edge.

Other than that i think its almost the same or could be the "exact" same. What do u think about it as for what its like? is it good for beginners? should i get it restrung? what tension? and so forth... great find tho Lakoste ur good

ikon
06-27-2005, 09:35 PM
i think that could be the over size model tho mine is definitly between 90" and 95"/94". Doesnt say court on the side too.

Lakoste
06-27-2005, 09:45 PM
ive never played with it so i cant recommend it or tell you its bad, you should play with it and see how you play, are the strings broken or really old?

Lakoste
06-27-2005, 09:47 PM
can you send some pics of it, whats the beamwidth

ikon
06-27-2005, 09:48 PM
i have played with it i can hit it back and forth kinda lol and yea the strings are kinda out of position and old like never change old i think.

rumstove
06-27-2005, 09:59 PM
The racquet should be fine for a beginner. It looks like a racquet from Wilson's pre-strung line. Check the Wilson site, click on 'rackets', and then click on 'competitive'. You won't find your racket there (as it is an older model), but I imagine yours would be equal to one of those current models. Like Lakoste said I doubt it's 13oz; it's probably closer to the 10-11 oz range.

How bad is the string? Maybe try hitting with it first to see how you like before making changes to it. If you decide you need a re-stringing try a syn-gut string. If you're unsure about tension find the suggested tension range and start in the middle, or 1-2 lbs higher than the middle.

You're lucky the grip is on the small side as that's an easy fix. Simply adding an overgrip (or two if really needed) will help get you closer to the thickness you are looking for.

ikon
06-27-2005, 10:16 PM
ok thx for that. yea it has the wilson sign imprinted on it so i guess its never been changed, plus looks old so yea i will get it restrung. whats the best overgrip and what are they usally priced??

Lakoste
06-27-2005, 10:45 PM
i like TournaGrip, Wilson Pro Overgrip, and the Yonex Super Grab

i use Tournagrip the most and thats about 3 grips for about 3 dollars, so theyre pretty cheap

alan-n
06-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Thats a good racquet to learn and begin with. Stick with using rubberized overgrips they hold up longer,.... any of the "white" overgrips (wilson, babolat, yonex) will be good enough. You're just beginning so don't worry too much and be too picky about it, don't be picky about you're equipment until you are good enough to where it matters ;)

Restring the racquet at mid tension. There should be a tension range printed on it.

ikon
06-27-2005, 10:51 PM
nope theres none. is that ok? is mid tension between 50-60 or 53-63 or ???

thx for the help guys