PDA

View Full Version : Which is better? V-engine or Isometric ????

Safina
06-27-2005, 10:44 PM
I am trying to logically think about which design is inherently better.
My thinking is this... isometric might be better for advanced players that hit
near the sweetspot and it will give a consistent stringbed feel, while V-engine might be better at shots hit outside of the sweetspot which might help intermediate players and below more, but the stringbed might have a hotspot.

which is better in your opinion and why....

06-28-2005, 07:44 AM
FYI....Volkl's top player's frames back in the mid-80s had the 'v-engine' geometry ie:" TR30. It's back to the future for Volkl. It's a re-hash of an old tech disguised as marketing.

On other hand, Yonex has had Isometric geometry on its entire line since the early 80s and has never strayed from it.

So there you go.

tschevap
06-28-2005, 12:08 PM
I feel the isometric to be more consistent over the whole stringbed. There are Yonex frames (RD7, RQ7...), whose stringbed feels like one sweet-"zone" (to use Prince´s new term :) ).

I used the VE Tour10 MP and Mid for some test-runs. The MP felt very lively and inconsistent: There were lots of hotspots.
The Mid was much better and felt better...but not at all like the Yonex!

I like Volkl a lot, but the Isometric is just a bit up front in my opinion...

NoBadMojo
06-28-2005, 01:01 PM
i think that is pretty accurate Safina. there is a hotspot on many of the Volkl frames, but it is centered within the sweetspot and not down low in the stringbed like some other frames where you hit only by acident..also, this hotspot creates a shot where the balls just jumps on you but still finds the court unlike some other hot spots. I found that with the T10MPVE you really cant get away with hitting the least bit late or you will get an inconsistent shot because the frame is pretty lively. i didnt like this frame at first because of that..once i figured out it was operator error i really began enjoyng this frame as i've ingraned better and earlier racquetwork, but you gotta do it right with this frame, and it swings a bit heavier than it specs

Safina
06-28-2005, 03:10 PM
i like the Volkl T10MPVE too as it gives a bigger sweetspot without a giant racquet head so I still get great armspeed on serves and it doesn't feel cumbersome like a lot of oversize racquets do when serving.

but i like the Yonex RDX mid as it gives a pretty big sweetspot in a smaller package...

TennsDog
06-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Yonex rackets feel unstable. I absolutely cannot play with Yonex at all.

NoBadMojo
06-28-2005, 06:22 PM
thats prob because many many many players hit the ball slightly above center, and the yonex headshape just doesnt feel very solid anywhere above center...lots of players cant play Yonex..and many of the best servers hit their serves above center..it's kinda almost like you have to relearn the game to use a yonex...but perhaps once you get used to it..well then you are used to it...noticed at least one of the new yonex models looks to be of a more conventional shape in the upper hoop (the ancic frame?), so maybe yonex is finally addressing this really serious design flaw.
Disclaimer: this is not a personal assault on anyone using yonex

slice bh compliment
06-28-2005, 07:47 PM
The V's totally contradict the square deal and even more so, the old Rossignol inverted bridge concept.

The Isometric shape makes more sense to me in theory. Advantage Yonex.

The feel of the V-engines is why I use Volkl (Tour 10 V mid). I'm a maneuverability guy, so I guess that's back to deuce. With a little lead in the handle and at 9 and 3 o'clock...advantage Volkl, for me at least.

To each his own.
Demo them all.
Let us know what you come up with.
Enjoy.

TennsDog
06-28-2005, 08:00 PM
I think the Isometric makes more sense to think about, I just don't like the way it plays.

VolklVenom
06-28-2005, 08:50 PM
if you rush the net alot, get the Volkl, otherwise, as a basliner, get the yonex.

tschevap
06-29-2005, 01:37 AM
@VolklVenom...

i charge the net also and had lots of success with Yonex-frames in the past...even with the RD7...although this wasn´t the most agile frame to play at net :D

Now i tried the Yonex RQ7 and it feels like one sweetspot and much better at net than even the Warrior...

So: There is no sense in calling Volkl-rackets attacking sticks and Yonex-frames baseliners tools...it depends on the player :)

VolklVenom
06-29-2005, 01:49 AM
your quite right!

tom4ny
06-29-2005, 03:57 AM
i'm thinking that frame 'shape' is only 1 technical aspect affecting a racquet's playing characteristics. that said, i've been playing with my stick for over a year and love it. it does 'play bigger' or have more inherent power than the head size would indicate. flatter shots can sail but spin comes relatively easy. its a flexible AND powerful MP frame. i dunno of any other stick that stikes this combo.

NoBadMojo
06-29-2005, 07:46 AM
the v in the v engne serves to stiffen the frame in that area for more power and torsional stability on the vertical axis. this works out pretty well in that you can have both a racquet made of more flexble materials (graphite w. fiberglass), but with lots of power and the thing gves you a good hit higher up in the hoop than most frames...