PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Babolat solution?

FuNyuNs
06-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Hi. I just demoed the Babolat AeroPro Drive GT and I really like it. But it is out of my price range. I am fairly new to tennis. I just learned forehand top spin which is my main shot. I'm wondering is there a cheaper Racquet that is similar to the APD? Or maybe some kind of racquet/string combo? I don't know anything about racquets..

I'm looking for something around the same weight and with a 100 sq head size. Thanks for any help.

pug
06-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi. I just demoed the Babolat AeroPro Drive GT and I really like it. But it is out of my price range. I am fairly new to tennis. I just learned forehand top spin which is my main shot. I'm wondering is there a cheaper Racquet that is similar to the APD? Or maybe some kind of racquet/string combo? I don't know anything about racquets..

I'm looking for something around the same weight and with a 100 sq head size. Thanks for any help.

Hard to beat this deal here:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_E-Sense_Comp_French_Open/descpageRCBAB-RGPDGT.html

FuNyuNs
06-05-2011, 07:41 PM
sorry. i explained wrong. i'm under the assumption that babolat charges outrageous prices because they're the biggest brand name in tennis? so i thought maybe there are other racquet brands that produce similar results for a reasonable price ($100)?

mctennis
06-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Hard to beat this deal here:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_E-Sense_Comp_French_Open/descpageRCBAB-RGPDGT.html

For $100 probably not a bad deal at all.

Bartelby
06-05-2011, 07:57 PM
look in the super deals section - may be a dunlop 4d tour 500?

esgee48
06-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Look at older models of HEAD Instinct, Extreme and Speed. Since you are developing your techniques, they will force you to learn how to hit the ball as well as provide some help (pace.)

The Wreck
06-05-2011, 08:14 PM
sorry. i explained wrong. i'm under the assumption that babolat charges outrageous prices because they're the biggest brand name in tennis? so i thought maybe there are other racquet brands that produce similar results for a reasonable price ($100)?

All of the, I guess you could say, "top of the line" rackets, are in the same price range for every brand, $170-$200. Babolat's no different than the rest.

The only way to get something at that price would be to find previous year models. Or even check out the classifieds here.

Anton
06-05-2011, 08:34 PM

Just get a used AeroPro Drive Cortex

or if you want new here is a steal:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_YOUTEK_Instinct/descpageRCHEAD-YTINST.html

really great frame just about everyone would be happy with

FuNyuNs
06-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Just get a used AeroPro Drive Cortex

or if you want new here is a steal:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_YOUTEK_Instinct/descpageRCHEAD-YTINST.html

really great frame just about everyone would be happy with

this is exactly the racquet i was just looking at and am very interested in. do you know if this is a good racquet for topspin/slice? and also which string would be best for this?

Dave M
06-06-2011, 12:20 AM
It's a fine racquet, just get it strung with something inexpensive then learn how to play without worrying if the racquet is holding you back (It won't).Spending time on here can start you down a dark path of tinkering which is unnecessary for most of us!
Good luck and enjoy!

GorillaPeanuts
06-06-2011, 12:26 AM
Dunlop 4D 500Tour only $99 dollars now, plays very similar to the APDGT most even say it's better.

FuNyuNs
06-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Dunlop 4D 500Tour only $99 dollars now, plays very similar to the APDGT most even say it's better.

thanks for this recommendation. can you recommend a string, or are the free strings good enough? also, can you recommend the tension i should have this strung at?

TheOneHander
06-06-2011, 07:00 AM
thanks for this recommendation. can you recommend a string, or are the free strings good enough? also, can you recommend the tension i should have this strung at?

The free strings should be good. I actually play tested them, and they get the job done well. I'd just string at mid tension range for now.

FuNyuNs
06-06-2011, 07:04 AM
The free strings should be good. I actually play tested them, and they get the job done well. I'd just string at mid tension range for now.

what is mid tension range? sorry, i'm such a noob..

TheOneHander
06-06-2011, 07:08 AM
what is mid tension range? sorry, i'm such a noob..

Not a problem! If you look at the specs of a racquet on TW or in the throat of the racquet, you'll see a recommended tension range. It's what the manufacturer recommends for a particular racquet to be strung at to prevent damage to the racquet. If you break a racquet and it's strung outside the tension range, the warranty is violated. Keep in mind that different racquets have different ranges. So just take the middle of the tension range and you're good to go.

Boricua
06-06-2011, 07:57 AM

Try the 4 year old version of the Aeropro. Much cheaper.:)

Seriously, get an Aeropro Cortex or get a used GT.:)

athiker
06-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Do you play a 1 or 2 handed backhand? A lot of people like the way the AeroPros hit till they get tennis elbow. Plenty play with them fine but if you are new to the game and your 1 handed backhand technique isn't the best then you could be inviting arm trouble.

Browse the forums for racquet comfort comments and pay attention to the stiffness ratings in the spec list of racquets you are considering for sale on Tennis Warehouse's site. For example the Dunlop 500 tour mentioned above a has a rating of 71 and the Head Instinct 63. That is quite a difference. 66 or so and and higher starts getting pretty stiff IMHO.

A softer more flexy racquet won't guarantee no arm issues but will help. Most AeroPros are pretty stiff so the 500 may play more like one, but just be aware of this consideration.

Boricua
06-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Do you play a 1 or 2 handed backhand? A lot of people like the way the AeroPros hit till they get tennis elbow. Plenty play with them fine but if you are new to the game and your 1 handed backhand technique isn't the best then you could be inviting arm trouble.

Browse the forums for racquet comfort comments and pay attention to the stiffness ratings in the spec list of racquets you are considering for sale on Tennis Warehouse's site. For example the Dunlop 500 tour mentioned above a has a rating of 71 and the Head Instinct 63. That is quite a difference. 66 or so and and higher starts getting pretty stiff IMHO.

A softer more flexy racquet won't guarantee no arm issues but will help. Most AeroPros are pretty stiff so the 500 may play more like one, but just be aware of this consideration.

I am about to start playing with Volkl Organix 8, arm friendly version of the Pure Drive or the APC GT. Arm friendly, at least thats what Ive heard. Ill verify this when I use it this week, hopefully.:)

FuNyuNs
06-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Not a problem! If you look at the specs of a racquet on TW or in the throat of the racquet, you'll see a recommended tension range. It's what the manufacturer recommends for a particular racquet to be strung at to prevent damage to the racquet. If you break a racquet and it's strung outside the tension range, the warranty is violated. Keep in mind that different racquets have different ranges. So just take the middle of the tension range and you're good to go.

thank you

Try the 4 year old version of the Aeropro. Much cheaper.:)

Seriously, get an Aeropro Cortex or get a used GT.:)

are these better than the above mentioned dunlop 4g 500 tour? i considered this but i've heard the majority of these are fakes. and i would have no clue what is fake and what is real. do you have any links for authentic used APDGT's? or even the 4 year old aeropro?

my backhand is almost always a slice shot. tho i do plan on learning backhand topspin in the future. i slice with one arm but i planned on doing backhand topspin with two arms. for some reason, i don't see tennis elbow being a problem for me. tho i could be wrong..

Boricua
06-06-2011, 09:31 AM
thank you

are these better than the above mentioned dunlop 4g 500 tour? i considered this but i've heard the majority of these are fakes. and i would have no clue what is fake and what is real. do you have any links for authentic used APDGT's? or even the 4 year old aeropro?

my backhand is almost always a slice shot. tho i do plan on learning backhand topspin in the future. i slice with one arm but i planned on doing backhand topspin with two arms. for some reason, i don't see tennis elbow being a problem for me. tho i could be wrong..

No idea but buying used rackets is always a risk unfortunately..

diredesire
06-06-2011, 10:18 AM
look in the super deals section - may be a dunlop 4d tour 500?

I'll second, the AG 500 tour was my go-to stick for quite a while. A little too much power, but surprising all around performance for the price. Very stable, VERY spin friendly. Serves are a joy to hit, lots of spin at your disposal.

If you're new to tennis, I recommend going with free! Once you develop your strokes a little, experiment with your strings, and you'll find out what you like. Don't worry too much about it right now. A few reasons to switch strings are: tension maintenance, spin friendliness, power/control tradeoff. Find out the tension range you like, and then switch around with strings. As a newer tennis player, work on your fundamentals first before obsessing about gear (for reals!)

thank you

Heads up: no competitor discussion on TW. I would spend the money for a demo program, TW will ship you demos and give you a pre-paid box to ship back. This is honestly one of the best investments you'll make. If you don't, you'll always doubt your decision, and eventually you're going to be dropping another $100 or so on another frame that you imagine/picture will work better for you, and then you're going to become a racqueholic like most of the people on the boards! Demo and then purchase based on that decision, and let your mind have its peace. ;)

FuNyuNs
06-06-2011, 11:32 AM
thanks to everyone who helped. i have purchased the Dunlop 4D Tour 500 :)