PDA

View Full Version : Why is PS85 easier to hit than ncode90?

wt888usa
06-27-2005, 10:22 PM
it seems that statistically, the ncode90 has a bigger headsize, slightly lighter weight, more headlight, same beam width, same stiffness, and similar swingweight, and that the ps85 is the more demanding racquet.

so why is it that when i demoed both, the ncode90 felt so heavy and i kept mis-timing my shots and shanking the balls, and when i played with the ps85, it felt so light, like i could whip through my shots, and i kept hitting everything so perfectly on the sweetspot?

alan-n
06-27-2005, 10:47 PM
I play with the NCode Tour 90 most of the time and switch to the 6.1 95 when I'm lazy or having an off day... don't feel like taking a full swing.

I think you don't have the core/body strength to whip the racquet around. The NCode does have a slightly higher swing weight, it is 8 points HL strung compared to the 85's 9-10 points HL strung.

PrestigeClassic
06-27-2005, 11:06 PM
Uhh. *gulp* The nCode Tour 90 is 9 points headlight, 330 swingweight. The 6.0 85, 8 points headlight with 329 swingweight. Such a small frame couldn't possibly be designed to be 9-10 points headlight strung as it would offer little to no power. In any case, there's apparently no logical explanation to the poster's plight. Perhaps the particular frames were so out of spec/other variables exist/it's a mental thing.

alan-n
06-27-2005, 11:12 PM
I pulled my numbers off from strung racquets on my balance board.

La Bomba
06-27-2005, 11:13 PM
well the ncode 90 obviously has more weight in the throat resulting in a higher swingweight, same with tour 90. so thats why the original swings lighter

PrestigeClassic
06-27-2005, 11:27 PM
Yes, the nCode Tour 90 feels like it has decent weight in the throat, but wouldn't that have a relatively small impact on the frame's swingweight? Instead, you could split the extra mass into two pieces and place them equal distances from the balance point on opposite sides of it. That is how you increase swingweight more.

Besides, if you're just talking about weight in the throat, it would take hardly any there to increase swingweight by 1 point, which is the difference between the two sticks. Perhaps the larger head increases swingweight, making it mandatory to commit more weight to the throat to offset the increased swingweight? Perhaps these are such small differences that most amateurs can't even tell?

alan-n
06-27-2005, 11:34 PM
Weight above or below where you grip the handle can increase swing weight. You can't reduce swing weight by adding mass anywhere.

Balance and swing weight are not the same.

La Bomba
06-27-2005, 11:45 PM
weight in the throat is like a head-heavy racquet and weight in the throat will increase the swingweight.

BreakPoint
06-27-2005, 11:51 PM
Weight above or below where you grip the handle can increase swing weight. You can't reduce swing weight by adding mass anywhere.

I agree 100% with alan-n. Balance is not the same thing as swingweight. Balance is just the median point at which half the weight is above and half is below the balance point. You can have all of that half of the weight at the tip of the hoop or all at the throat and it won't change the balance point because it's still just half of the weight of the entire frame. However, you will feel a HUGE difference in swingweight between having half of the weight at the tip of the hoop versus having it at the throat. In essence, any weight that is added above where your hand goes around the grip will add to the swingweight of the frame, and the further distance that added weight is from your hand, the more it increases the swingweight.

In the case of the nCode 90, I think more of the weight is higher up in the throat than it is on the PS 85. So even if they have the same balance point, depending on how the weight is distributed above and below the balance point, the racquet will either swing lighter or heavier.

wt888usa
06-28-2005, 06:46 AM
but could just different weight distribution within the throat really make that much difference between the racquets? i mean, i was playing my best tennis with the ps85 and my worst tennis w/ the ncode90. maybe, like some other poster mentioned, it's a psychological thing. :-P but i noticed on the boards some other posters experienced the same thing as me.

BreakPoint
06-28-2005, 10:00 AM
but could just different weight distribution within the throat really make that much difference between the racquets? i mean, i was playing my best tennis with the ps85 and my worst tennis w/ the ncode90. maybe, like some other poster mentioned, it's a psychological thing. :-P but i noticed on the boards some other posters experienced the same thing as me.

Can't be just you if many other posters experienced the same thing. Even all of the TW playtesters had the same experience, if you've read the reviews of both racquets.

PrestigeClassic
06-28-2005, 02:13 PM

Are you responding to my post? In the case of the nCode Tour 90, there was no weight added over the Pro Staff 6.0 85. It is lighter. And yes, you can reduce swingweight by exchanging mass and moving it around as the frame is designed. The more that is moved from the ends of the frame while keeping balance unaffected, the lower swingweight becomes. We are talking about stock frames, correct?