PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop 200 4d vs. 300 4d, looking for opinions.

Top Jimmy
06-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Playing with a 200 4d currently. For me it is one of the best rackets I've used recently. But the specs of the 300 really intrigue me. 16x19 string pattern, slightly lighter weight, 1 mm thicker.

So is it basically a less demanding and more spin friendly 200, or does it hit way different?

With the current price, kind of hard to go wrong but I'd like a little feedback comparing the two.

T-ennis 888
06-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Playing with a 200 4d currently. For me it is one of the best rackets I've used recently. But the specs of the 300 really intrigue me. 16x19 string pattern, slightly lighter weight, 1 mm thicker.

So is it basically a less demanding and more spin friendly 200, or does it hit way different?

With the current price, kind of hard to go wrong but I'd like a little feedback comparing the two.

The Dunlop 300 racquets (standard and Tour) are annoyingly unstable if you are playing against a big hitter. The 200's also hit much heavier balls than either 300. Try the 4D 200 Tour if possible - I've demoed the 300 standard, 300 Tour, 200 normal and the 200 Tour is hands down the best of any them.

PimpMyGame
06-06-2011, 08:32 AM
The 200 Tour is a great racket, but I got some arm issues with using full poly. Because I love poly so much I weighted up my 4D100s to the same weight and balance and arm problems virtually gone.

But if you're not going to use full poly, or if your arm can handle it, I concur that the 200Tour is a great racket to try.

Top Jimmy
06-06-2011, 08:58 AM
The 200 Tour is a great racket, but I got some arm issues with using full poly. Because I love poly so much I weighted up my 4D100s to the same weight and balance and arm problems virtually gone.

But if you're not going to use full poly, or if your arm can handle it, I concur that the 200Tour is a great racket to try.

Currently using a hybrid setup, synthetic crosses and poly mains.

I've never had arm problems in my 25 years of tennis so I'm not too worried about various setups.

From the sounds of it the 300 isn't really just an open string pattern version of the 200. That's what I was hoping but looks like no.

Top Jimmy
06-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Oh wait, I just noticed the tour was a 16x18, wth. I guess when I was testing I just assumed the Tour would be a 18x20. Dang it.

T-ennis 888
06-06-2011, 11:38 AM

I use a multi in my 200T - precisely because poly's have nearly always given me shoulder pain in the past. Good job with your 4D 100 - can I ask if that is your usual weapon of choice?

Oh wait, I just noticed the tour was a 16x18, wth. I guess when I was testing I just assumed the Tour would be a 18x20. Dang it.

Jimmy - don't worry about the string pattern. Just hit with it if you get a chance to demo it. Trust me on this!

Top Jimmy
06-06-2011, 11:51 AM
I use a multi in my 200T - precisely because poly's have nearly always given me shoulder pain in the past. Good job with your 4D 100 - can I ask if that is your usual weapon of choice?

Jimmy - don't worry about the string pattern. Just hit with it if you get a chance to demo it. Trust me on this!

I'm happy, I wanted a more open string pattern, that's why I'm mad I didn't test it. I'll see if the shop here has any left.

Thanks!

T-ennis 888
06-06-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm happy, I wanted a more open string pattern, that's why I'm mad I didn't test it. I'll see if the shop here has any left.

Thanks!

Let us know how you get on!

PimpMyGame
06-07-2011, 01:35 AM

It is now! Over the past 12 months I have moved from an AG200 18x20 (leather grip, overgrip, dampener so probably over 360g) to 4D200Tour and now to 4D100. Bought a couple 4D200Tours and 4D100s because they were selling them for 40 each in the UK and I was curious.

What struck me about the 200Tours was their heft and stability, and no problems moving to an open string pattern. They play really well, but just give me a couple of issues with my arm. So I decided to add weight to my 100s and see how that went.

So far the 100s are good, I am playing well with the extra weight (both 100s now 356g, one is 317mm balance the other 320mm) and my arm is less sore even with full SPPP 1.18 setup. I seem to prefer the 317mm balance, which is 8pts HL. However, it's fair to say that if I wasn't using full poly or had no arm issues I'd be using my 200Tours.

T-ennis 888
06-07-2011, 11:23 AM
It is now! Over the past 12 months I have moved from an AG200 18x20 (leather grip, overgrip, dampener so probably over 360g) to 4D200Tour and now to 4D100. Bought a couple 4D200Tours and 4D100s because they were selling them for 40 each in the UK and I was curious.

What struck me about the 200Tours was their heft and stability, and no problems moving to an open string pattern. They play really well, but just give me a couple of issues with my arm. So I decided to add weight to my 100s and see how that went.

So far the 100s are good, I am playing well with the extra weight (both 100s now 356g, one is 317mm balance the other 320mm) and my arm is less sore even with full SPPP 1.18 setup. I seem to prefer the 317mm balance, which is 8pts HL. However, it's fair to say that if I wasn't using full poly or had no arm issues I'd be using my 200Tours.

That's really interesting! Having read the 100's specs once upon a (very distant) time, I remember thinking that it may be a little unstable (plus my experiences in this regard with the 300 and 300T really put me off Dunlop racquets before I bought the 200Tour) but would probably be pretty good for serving. I assume that with the added weight, stability is no longer a problem with your two 100s and it probably serves heavier than at stock?

I'm actually from the UK too and also got my 4D 200Tour for 40 - I'm assuming from the same chain of stores? Can I ask where you got the 4D 100 for 40. If they are still selling any at that price I'd be well up for getting one to keep in my bag.

PimpMyGame
06-08-2011, 12:38 AM
That's really interesting! Having read the 100's specs once upon a (very distant) time, I remember thinking that it may be a little unstable (plus my experiences in this regard with the 300 and 300T really put me off Dunlop racquets before I bought the 200Tour) but would probably be pretty good for serving. I assume that with the added weight, stability is no longer a problem with your two 100s and it probably serves heavier than at stock?

I'm actually from the UK too and also got my 4D 200Tour for 40 - I'm assuming from the same chain of stores? Can I ask where you got the 4D 100 for 40. If they are still selling any at that price I'd be well up for getting one to keep in my bag.

Hi. In my opinion the 100s are just about as stable as the 200Tours, I placed lead at 12 to polarise the frame and haven't felt the need to spread out around 3 and 9 to improve stability. In stock form flat serves are great, with some extra weight they are better. Spin potential is very good and as I said before I find this racket comfortable enough to use full poly. Because of the smaller head size, I strung one with SPPP 1.18 at 50lbs (1 piece) but went up to 52 with the other and I think it feels better. I will probably keep pushing the boat out by 2lbs until the string bed gets too boardy.

I can confirm it was the same chain of stores that we both got our 200Tours from, sadly they have sold out (I believe I alerted another UK TT member to the last available ones earlier in the year). However, visit the AG100 Club thread and read the last several posts. There is a member there who is thinking of changing from his 4D100s who may be prepared to sell one or two. These rackets are definitely worth giving a go IMO.