PDA

View Full Version : What kind of lead tape should I use for organix 10?

tennis-kid
06-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Hi
I purchased Organix 10 295g racket. It is on the way. I'd like to add some lead on the butt area and some on the 11 oclock and 2 oclock.
I heard someone used double density lead tape. I couldn't find any double density so far.
Which is better one between 1/2" or 3/4"? I have no experience.
If you have experience please share your thought.

flashfire276
06-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Lead tape comes in 2 different widths: 1/2 inch, and 1/4 inch.
Of course, smaller size means less weight on a pre-cut 1 inch strip. But choose your thickness based on how you're going to use it. If you want to lean inside the hoop (on the sides of the grommet holes) it's great to use 1/4. If you want to put it on the handle, throat, or whatever, 1/2 is pretty good.
And also, remember how much weight you want. Using 1/4 inch can help you get a precise amount because of it's smaller size.

Double density, I'm not sure about that. But I know that Babolat lead tape is twice as heavy as standard Gamma lead tape. So one inch of Babolat tape is the same weight as two inches of Gamma. So if you want to put a lot of weight and use less tape, that's a good way to go.

Steve Huff
06-06-2011, 07:48 PM
I also use Babolat lead tape. You would have to really be "micro-tuning" a racket to need the lighter tape. Babolat sticks well too.

TennisCJC
06-07-2011, 08:42 AM
You can find double density 1/2" wide lead tape at *********. (TW edited the name of golf club vendor but it ends in smith). They use it for golf club customization. It is best used under the handle. The volkl x295 is a thin beam racket and 1/2" tape may be a bit too wide to fit outside the strings grommet without wrapping it around the outside of the frame where it will be exposed to scraps on the court. It isn't necessary to use double density lead tape as you can use normal 1/4" or 1/2" strips. Double density weighs twice as much 1/2" double weighs 1 gram per inch, normal 1/2" tape weighs 1 gram per 2 inches.

I suggest you purchase either the Gamma or Tourna 1/4" wide lead tape for customization to the head of the racket as it will fit better on the inside of the frame next to the grommet. A 4" strip of either of these weighs approximately 1 gram. Ignore the Tourna package which may have different weight specs - 4" = 1 gram is correct.

Read the TW site article for instructions on customization. I suggest you start with 3 grams in the head and counter that with 3 grams under the grip. I would put 1 gram a 3 o'clock, 1 g at 9 o'clock, and 1 gram at 12 o'clock to start. Be precise, I would put 2 inch strips evenly on each side of the strings where the strip are right next to the grommet on the inside of the frame. Counter this with 2 grams under the grip 7" above the butt end - you can wrap 2 strips around the grip which is about 4 inches around. Also, counter with 1 strip wrapped around the grip just above where the butt cap ends. It is OK to use a bit more under the handle as all it will do is make the racket a bit more HL (barely noticeable). I would wrap the strips completely around the grip until the end touches the starting point. You may be able to reuse the volkl grip if you are careful when you remove it or you will have to replace it with another grip.

That is about 3 grams in the head and 3 grams under the handle which should keep the balance the same. You can add more later if you feel the racket does not have enough power or stability. I have gone as high as 8 grams in the head and 10 grams in the handle but went back down to 5 grams in the head and 8 in the handle on my x295.

But, try to keep the racket balance at 3 or 4 points HL. The normal balance is 3 pts hl, and you can add more weight under the grip to move it to 4 pts hl - it will take about 4-5 grams to move it a point. But, a good rule of thumb is to add the same amount under the grip that you added to the head to maintain the same balance or add more under the grip to make it more HL.

Good luck and enjoy your new racket. Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

TennisCJC
06-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Do not put weight in a volkl butt cap to add handle weight. Remove the grip and put it under the grip. I loop the lead tape strips around the raw grip with is usually about 4-4 3/8 inches around. Using 1/4" lead tape a loop around the grip is about 1 gram. To secure it just take the paper you removed from the back of the lead tape and rub out the air bubbles out with the smooth side of the tape. When done adding strips around the handle, replace the grip and you are good to go.

The volkl handle has a vibration reduction system inside the grip and you should not mess with it. Just add the tape to the exterior handle under the grip.

tennis-kid
06-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Thank you for all your advice. I appreciate it