PDA

View Full Version : I finally did it!..

Portuguesetennislover
06-28-2005, 06:51 AM
After a kind of "soapopera" between deciding from a customised Vantage or a Slazenger Pro X1, I finally decided to get back to the Vantage. My problem was keeping length at 27,5 with a swingweight of 320. Mr Paul Angell, that was amazing on giving me his feedback, warned me on this matter. So I decided to go for 27,25 in order to achieve the swingweight I´ve asked for. So my custom Vantage will figure the following specs.

Vantage 2 3 1 2 10

Headsize: 95sq (beam 20 mm)
String pattern: 18/20
Stifness: 63RA
Lenght: 27,25
Weight/balance: 11.4 oz (320g) / 12 pts HL (305mm) unstrung
11.9 oz (337g) / 9 pts HL (315 mm) strung
Swingweight: 320
Handle size: Wilson L3 / 4-3/8
Grip type: Leather grip

Hope it will perform as i think it will. It must arrive Friday (Fedex delivery). Trying it out during the weekend so I´ll post then my first impressions!

iscottius
06-28-2005, 07:04 AM
After a kind of "soapopera" between deciding from a customised Vantage or a Slazenger Pro X1, I finally decided to get back to the Vantage. My problem was keeping length at 27,5 with a swingweight of 320. Mr Paul Angell, that was amazing on giving me his feedback, warned me on this matter. So I decided to go for 27,25 in order to achieve the swingweight I´ve asked for. So my custom Vantage will figure the following specs.

Vantage 2 3 1 2 10

Headsize: 95sq (beam 20 mm)
String pattern: 18/20
Stifness: 63RA
Lenght: 27,25
Weight/balance: 11.4 oz (320g) / 12 pts HL (305mm) unstrung
11.9 oz (337g) / 9 pts HL (315 mm) strung
Swingweight: 320
Handle size: Wilson L3 / 4-3/8
Grip type: Leather grip

Hope it will perform as i think it will. It must arrive Friday (Fedex delivery). Trying it out during the weekend so I´ll post then my first impressions!

I am glad thet Paul got you to 27.25 length & 320 swingweight--good choice --good luck with it

Indiantwist
06-28-2005, 08:52 AM
Good luck..Enjoy your racquet.

monologuist
06-28-2005, 09:14 AM
good luck with your Vantage....just a word of warning....the string it wiull come prestrung with some people like some don't...I personally don't care for it and found that my Vantage played much better with Laserfibre Supreme 17 or a hybrid of Klip Legend gut 17/Goesn OG Micro 17....in other words, reserve your final judgement until you have the ideal string in it....the 27.25" will be a good compromise....0.25" makes a pretty big difference, surprisingly big.

Mulligan
06-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Sounds like a good spec for you...best of luck!

Portuguesetennislover
06-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the kind words and advices... Anyway, I´ll have a full month to demoe it. But hope it won´t be necessary to send it back!

NoBadMojo
06-28-2005, 09:40 AM
keep in mind that if you do have to send it back, you pay the shipping back and a restocking charge (this unto itself is deceptive business policy in that they would be reselling a used frame as new if they put a used frame back into stock) and if the frame is less than perfect (ie you used it for a month in a normal way), their policy is a 60% refund and you pay the shipping back.also the frames are not made in the UK as they would lead you to believe..they are made in China. i believe any product sold in the USA, by law, must note the 'actual' country of origin which is China and not the UK.
this from ther website
<snp>
Any racquet that has been used and has light damage to strings, grips or bumper guards, but has no damage to frame structure or cosmetic will be entitled to a full refund (minus a restocking fee of £15) A full refund (minus a restocking fee of £15) will be applied to your original purchase credit card for the price of the item(s) returned that meet these conditions.

Any racquet that has been used and has suffered any frame cosmetic damage will be entitled to a 60% refund .
<end snip>

Portuguesetennislover
06-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Yes, I know, that´s why I only send it back if I really can´t paly with it. But I hope this won´t happen.

bdaniels
06-28-2005, 11:44 AM
I'm sure the vantage is going to be AWESOME but I personally would have gone with Slazenger because it would save me 150 bucks :)

Rory G
06-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Great decision IMO (althought the Slaz is a good frame also). It looks as though you are passionate about tennis and put quite a bit of thought into your purchase. Contrary to some anti-Vantagers, Paul is a very reasonable and customer service oriented guy....if you hit with the frame and it isn't right for you, you will probably only have to pay shipping (just like the TW demo program and unless you abuse the racquet). Believe me...Vantage is quite the opposite of "deceptive business practice"; I don't believe you will find much better service in the industry along with well made frames (based on my experiences recently). Good luck!!

BTW..bdaniels. Since the Vantage can be had for $187 strung and the Slaz is $149 unstrung........how did you "save" $150?? ;)

monologuist
06-28-2005, 12:36 PM
yeah....in my experience, Paul is a VERY accomodating and flexible guy. He really wants you to be happy with your racquet. You made the right decision going for Vantage over the Slazenger X-1...I've tried the Slazenger and it is a good racquet, but inferior to a Vantage of similar specs....they are similar in design, but the Vantage is gonna give you better feel, will feel more solid, less stiff.

Gary Britt
06-28-2005, 12:40 PM
BTW..bdaniels. Since the Vantage can be had for $187 strung and the Slaz is $149 unstrung........how did you "save" $150?? ;)

I looked at their site and its pretty interesting, but I'd like to see them offer another head size around 104-106 sq. inches with 2 different string types, where one is 18 x 20.

I'd also like to see disclosure of the material used to make their frames and offer more than one possible composition of the frame itself.

Maye an option to have it foam filled if its hollow inside or an option for a solid (not hollow) composition.

Gary Britt

Rory G
06-28-2005, 12:42 PM
I looked at their site and its pretty interesting, but I'd like to see them offer another head size around 104-106 sq. inches with 2 different string types, where one is 18 x 20.

I'd also like to see disclosure of the material used to make their frames and offer more than one possible composition of the frame itself.

Maye an option to have it foam filled if its hollow inside or an option for a solid (not hollow) composition.

Gary Britt

I agree..all good points. I hope they will offer more options down the road also.

BreakPoint
06-28-2005, 12:45 PM
I agree..all good points. I hope they will offer more options down the road also.

I understand they will be offering larger head sizes in the near future.

Portuguesetennislover
06-28-2005, 02:05 PM
I agree with you all. But I think the Company is trying to target the general public. With this I mean that everybody that understands a little of frames and its own game can purchase a customised frame. Maybe if the specs were too many it would be a delight to most of us but definitly not to others (and I think that they are in major number). But that´s just an opinion. Also understand that at those prices surely that the raw frames comes from China and just need little work. There are a few combinatios of specs made in China but imagine the production costs if the possibilities to produce a raw frame (with more specs choice), in order to have stock to each customer specification, would multiply! Than it would be to a little elite. Because of money and because of complexity of choices reflected in each frame´s performance. Than I believe that each frame would be a custom frame. Now, in a certain way it is, but there must be at least hundreds of players with the same specs of my Vantage. Don´t mind, but also would like to choose some more details. Nevertheless this is a start for the big public.

antontd
06-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Congratulations!
Wait, you're not gonna change your mind again, are you?

Guga_x
06-28-2005, 02:59 PM
Portuguesetennislover, this would be a one time chance for me to have a closer look at a Vantage without having to ask for one myself...

I also am from near-Lisbon so if you let me I'd show up at your practice court to take a look. If you are ok with this PM me, or send me an email.

Thanx.

TripleTennisBumB
06-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Congratulations!
Wait, you're not gonna change your mind again, are you?

No, he'll never be the King of Anality. That is my job.

TripleTennisBumB

shilshul50303
06-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Where can you get the racquet for 187 strung?

Kirko
06-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Hey Ben welcome back !!!! I read your review on the POG longbody; I got one you were dead on ! One question how would you compare topspin to the PD + Babolat. Thanks in advance !!!!!

Portuguesetennislover
06-28-2005, 04:28 PM
Portuguesetennislover, this would be a one time chance for me to have a closer look at a Vantage without having to ask for one myself...

I also am from near-Lisbon so if you let me I'd show up at your practice court to take a look. If you are ok with this PM me, or send me an email.

Thanx.

Assim que a receber não há problema nenhum.

Portuguesetennislover
06-28-2005, 04:29 PM
No, he'll never be the King of Anality. That is my job.

TripleTennisBumB

Lol!!!!! ;)

GuyPerez
06-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Gary Britt,
I think they are foam filled. I believe all they are made of is what it says on the frame, "High Modulus Carbon Fibre"
Cheers.

Guga_x
06-29-2005, 04:08 AM
Obrigado. ;)