PDA

View Full Version : Volkl Powerbridge 10 Mid (is it really that good?)

alen_david
06-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Hey all, been surfing 'round TW for a couple of years now (much like TONS of people here) and I can't help but notice the ratings that TW testers give the rackets they review... But as you all know, barely ANY racket touches the mid-80s range in overall ratings. I believe the K90 was one of them and now I've been looking at the PB10 Mid lately and it has an 85 overall rating too. Plus, in the review they gave all compliments, barely any dislikes.

So now I'm asking owners of the racket to chine in any insights on why they love/dislike the racket. Is it comparable to, say, Prestige Mids? Dunlop 100s/200s? I know it's not quite a beefy monster as Wilson's 6.1s and Pro staffs so that's not a good comparison.

Anyway, it should boil down to one question: Should I Get It?:confused::confused::confused:

zumzool
06-07-2011, 04:35 PM
In a word: yes!

It's got a pretty big sweet spot and plays more like a 95 than a 93 sq in head size...
It's stable on contact, has some weight behind it with a nice balance...
It's maneuverable with the ability to whip it through the contact zone...

superb at the net.....

should you get it? well, it's worth a demo. It's not for everybody.

alen_david
06-07-2011, 04:46 PM
In a word: yes!

It's got a pretty big sweet spot and plays more like a 95 than a 93 sq in head size...
It's stable on contact, has some weight behind it with a nice balance...
It's maneuverable with the ability to whip it through the contact zone...

superb at the net.....

should you get it? well, it's worth a demo. It's not for everybody.

The 10pts strung headlight would be great for maneuvering the racket around but isn't that too headlight when it only weighs about 12oz strung? Where does the mentioned plow through come from when there's so little weight at the head? Or maybe it's volkl's "DNX" technology?...

alen_david
06-07-2011, 04:47 PM
The very soft flex is also giving me reasons to acquire one. Ugh temptation.

spdskr
06-07-2011, 04:52 PM
I switched from the 6.1 95 to the PB 10 Mid and couldn't be happier. In hindsight, I feel the 6.1 are topsin and serving beasts but they can not compare in the touch, feel, and slice areas with the superior PB 10 Mid. "Dwell time" was something I had never experienced with the 6.1....it is a beautiful thing. I can easily alternate between flat hitting and heavy spin with the Volkl. The plow through effect is just as good as the Wilsons. But my favorite attribute of the PB 10 Mid is how no harsh vibrations are transmitted to my wrist, elbow, or shoulder even when playing against big hitters. A chronically sore wrist was my motivation for switching frames....mission accomplished, no more pain.

I too was intrigued by the outstanding play tester reviews at TW. After 20 minutes with a demo, I completely understood why they were so impressed. If you have developed strokes and are used to a 12 oz frame, I think you will be all smiles with the PB 10 Mid. Give it a demo!

JGads
06-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Great stick but doesn't have the crisp, stiffer feel of some of the sticks you like -- YT Prestige Mid, Wilsons, etc. It's a much softer, flexier feeling racquet. Keep that in mind.

mctennis
06-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Demo, demo, demo. Always the best answer and only YOU know if it feels and plays right for you.

Hominator
06-07-2011, 05:13 PM
It's definitely not for everyone. The feel is very soft and unique. However, once you spend some time with it, you may not want to hit with other racquets again as its feel is very unique. It also plays bigger than its head size would suggest.

alen_david
06-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Great stick but doesn't have the crisp, stiffer feel of some of the sticks you like -- YT Prestige Mid, Wilsons, etc. It's a much softer, flexier feeling racquet. Keep that in mind.

Yes! I definitely love the crisp prestige feel. I guess thats one downside of this racket? I don't know yet, might not be... But anyway, the Prestiges are similar in flex, no? Prestige mids are like 63-62 give or take... I personally have not gotten below a 62-61 flex (my ag100) but I'm sure the pb10 mid wouldn't surprise me in a bad way... Currently looking for the pb10 mid now... Maybe a trade for my MG prestige mid...

alen_david
06-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Too bad for me I think only a few people have the pb10 mid... It's definitely not as popular and advertised as head, prince, and esp Wilson.

zapvor
06-07-2011, 07:01 PM
i have to say i hit with one and the feel is absoulutely amazing. thats why i just bought a volkl! but it was so heavy, so i got the 295 midplus

tnsanydy
06-07-2011, 07:17 PM
I switched from the 6.1 95 to the PB 10 Mid and couldn't be happier. In hindsight, I feel the 6.1 are topsin and serving beasts but they can not compare in the touch, feel, and slice areas with the superior PB 10 Mid. "Dwell time" was something I had never experienced with the 6.1....it is a beautiful thing. I can easily alternate between flat hitting and heavy spin with the Volkl. The plow through effect is just as good as the Wilsons. But my favorite attribute of the PB 10 Mid is how no harsh vibrations are transmitted to my wrist, elbow, or shoulder even when playing against big hitters. A chronically sore wrist was my motivation for switching frames....mission accomplished, no more pain.

I too was intrigued by the outstanding play tester reviews at TW. After 20 minutes with a demo, I completely understood why they were so impressed. If you have developed strokes and are used to a 12 oz frame, I think you will be all smiles with the PB 10 Mid. Give it a demo!

I can't believe I'm reading this- I've been a PSC 6.1 95 user for years now and it served me well with my game until recently when I sprained my wrist after adding more weight on my barbell. I've been nursing it for almost 2 weeks now so I have been spending time checking out alternative rackets that will be easier on my wrist and TW testers have nothing but high praise on Volkl PB10 mid. Those are the words I've been looking for to confirm what this racket is like. I'm just afraid that when my wrist is fully healed, I might miss and go back to my old faithful PSC- Volkl PB10 mid is not cheap so if I switch, it has to be for keeps! Decision, decision, decision...:?

zapvor
06-07-2011, 07:21 PM
yea you know....I think volkl and yonex need to do better with distribution. such good sticks yet not enough users!

spdskr
06-07-2011, 07:29 PM
I can't believe I'm reading this- I've been a PSC 6.1 95 user for years now and it served me well with my game until recently when I sprained my wrist after adding more weight on my barbell. I've been nursing it for almost 2 weeks now so I have been spending time checking out alternative rackets that will be easier on my wrist and TW testers have nothing but high praise on Volkl PB10 mid. Those are the words I've been looking for to confirm what this racket is like. I'm just afraid that when my wrist is fully healed, I might miss and go back to my old faithful PSC- Volkl PB10 mid is not cheap so if I switch, it has to be for keeps! Decision, decision, decision...:?

I LOVED my n6.1 95s. Never thought about switching. Just finally got tired of the recurring wrist pain, and being hesitant to swing fast into a heavy ball from my opponents. Read the reviews for softer frames, including the PB 10 Mid, demoed four sticks and the Mid was the CLEAR winner for me.

Purchased two and in the same week sold my two 6.1s here on the classifieds. No turning back for me, and I have ZERO regrets.

max
06-07-2011, 07:31 PM
I feel SO tempted with this one! But my stash of racquets, age 8+, is getting older. But 2011's not the year to set aside these tools.

Hominator
06-07-2011, 07:34 PM
What strings are all of you using in your PB10 mids?

tnsanydy
06-07-2011, 07:38 PM
I LOVED my n6.1 95s. Never thought about switching. Just finally got tired of the recurring wrist pain, and being hesitant to swing fast into a heavy ball from my opponents. Read the reviews for softer frames, including the PB 10 Mid, demoed four sticks and the Mid was the CLEAR winner for me.

Purchased two and in the same week sold my two 6.1s here on the classifieds. No turning back for me, and I have ZERO regrets.

That's awesome! It should have been an easy transition for you and for me once I made up my mind as we're used to the hefty 6.1 95s. What's exciting for me is the "dwell time" you mentioned as I've never tried a racket with such a low 59 stiffness rating!

alen_david
06-07-2011, 07:41 PM

Haha! You're in almost the same situation as me right now! Well, except for your whole wrist injury... Hope it heals soon! For me, I've never had/touched a Volkl before but this racket (I guess) is really special so ugh temptation... Anyway, hit the courts with caution man. I don't want another wrist injury for you.

yea you know....I think volkl and yonex need to do better with distribution. such good sticks yet not enough users!

Yup, good point here. Like I said before, it's like a monopoly right now with the 3 big hitters - Head, Prince, and ESP Wilson. (Makes me laugh looking at my signature) Ehh, oh well, I guess it would change soon. PB 10 MID!

Thanks for adding to the temptation guys :mad:. Ugh for you guys, coming from wilson's 6.1s - I can relate. I used to have a K90 and now I have a KPS88 which I hit with once in a while. So my guess is if ever I get my hands on a PB10 mid, I'd have the same reaction!

alen_david
06-07-2011, 07:42 PM
That's awesome! It should have been an easy transition for you and for me once I made up my mind as we're used to the hefty 6.1 95s. What's exciting for me is the "dwell time" mentioned by spdskr as I've never tried a racket with such a low 59 stiffness rating!

The MG radical MP is quite flexy as well. Comes in at a very flexy 57! But it is a legitimate argument that the PB10 mid would be better in plow, stability, and control.

tnsanydy
06-07-2011, 08:08 PM
The MG radical MP is quite flexy as well. Comes in at a very flexy 57! But it is a legitimate argument that the PB10 mid would be better in plow, stability, and control.

All I can say is thanks for starting this awesome thread! If you're still young, then you should be ok playing with those ultra stiff rackets. For us older players, it's about keeping our legs, elbows, wrist and shoulders healthy and that's not easy when you're playing 3 to 4 times a week with a minimum of 2 to 3 hours each time. It won't be easy retiring my PSCs but I would rather do it now than pay for the consequences later.

alen_david
06-07-2011, 08:13 PM
All I can say is thanks for starting this awesome thread! If you're still young, then you should be ok playing with those ultra stiff rackets. For us older players, it's about keeping our legs, elbows, wrist and shoulders healthy and that's not easy when you're playing 3 to 4 times a week with a minimum of 2 to 3 hours each time. It won't be easy retiring my PSCs but I would rather do it now than pay for the consequences later.

You're welcome! Didn't actually expect it to be like this. Just asking a few questions about the PB10 mid. Yeah, I'm pretty young - turning 20 in a few weeks! But nonetheless, I love a soft plush feel. So I think the PB10 mid is a good look for me. Might not have the Prestige crispness that I love also but I'll have to see when I get my hands on one.

Dgpsx7
06-07-2011, 08:18 PM
It really is that good. I just bought a Organix 10 325 and I think the PB10 mid kills it.

alen_david
06-07-2011, 08:20 PM
It really is that good. I just bought a Organix 10 325 and I think the PB10 mid kills it.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that man. Have it exchanged if you can!

spdskr
06-07-2011, 08:24 PM
What strings are all of you using in your PB10 mids?

Gut mains, poly crosses here. Same strings I used in the old 6.1s. The demo stick had NXT. The frames were string for free with Gripper. I restrung one with full gut and the other with gut/poly after growing tired of all the string movement with the Gripper. Ended up cutting full gut out after about 10 hrs because the hybrid felt so much better. Now both frames with gut/poly.

spdskr
06-07-2011, 08:27 PM

Over 40 club here. It is so nice to play as much as I have time for now that I have the Volkls without being plagued by wrist/arm issues. It is also nice to swing as hard as I care to at any type of ball like I did when I was younger.

Dgpsx7
06-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Ouch! Sorry to hear that man. Have it exchanged if you can!

It's all good. I got it for $120 shipped. It's still a good stick. I'm gonna tighten the tension and add lead under the bumper to see what happens. To me sticks like the PB10 Mid and the KPS88 are really special frames that only come along every once in a while. I don't expect anything to be on that level when I buy it.

roundiesee
06-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Haha! You're in almost the same situation as me right now! Well, except for your whole wrist injury... Hope it heals soon! For me, I've never had/touched a Volkl before but this racket (I guess) is really special so ugh temptation... Anyway, hit the courts with caution man. I don't want another wrist injury for you.

Yup, good point here. Like I said before, it's like a monopoly right now with the 3 big hitters - Head, Prince, and ESP Wilson. (Makes me laugh looking at my signature) Ehh, oh well, I guess it would change soon. PB 10 MID!

Thanks for adding to the temptation guys :mad:. Ugh for you guys, coming from wilson's 6.1s - I can relate. I used to have a K90 and now I have a KPS88 which I hit with once in a while. So my guess is if ever I get my hands on a PB10 mid, I'd have the same reaction!

I hit with my friend's PB10 recently, and whilst it wasn't a bad frame, I still preferred the KPS88 and the YTP Mid to the Volkl. I wasn't sure why I did not take to it; perhaps it was the strings he had on (TF Xcode). I fear for the OP that if he does "adore" the Head or the Wilson, he might be a little disappointed with the PB10; but I guess you have to try it yourself in order to find out :(

eidolonshinobi
06-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Demo the sticks before you commit.

jfish
06-07-2011, 10:52 PM
The thing about PB10mid is that it is sensitive to weight changes and distribution. I fall in love with this stick on the first hit, then I gradually tweak it to my preferences.

Hominator
06-08-2011, 05:34 AM
Gut mains, poly crosses here. Same strings I used in the old 6.1s. The demo stick had NXT. The frames were string for free with Gripper. I restrung one with full gut and the other with gut/poly after growing tired of all the string movement with the Gripper. Ended up cutting full gut out after about 10 hrs because the hybrid felt so much better. Now both frames with gut/poly.

I've been stringing all of my PB10 mids with Prince Recoil to combat string movement. I used to have a full bed of Cyclone in my mids. Looks like it's time to try a hybrid. I recently playtested a number of new sticks and developed some tennis elbow again (not from the PB10 mids). Thus, I may stick with a soft multi until I feel well enough to try a hybrid...

spdskr
06-08-2011, 06:06 AM
I've been stringing all of my PB10 mids with Prince Recoil to combat string movement. I used to have a full bed of Cyclone in my mids. Looks like it's time to try a hybrid. I recently playtested a number of new sticks and developed some tennis elbow again (not from the PB10 mids). Thus, I may stick with a soft multi until I feel well enough to try a hybrid...

Using gut in the mains masks the harshness of the poly. The poly merely tames some of the power of the gut and adds more bite on the ball. Interestingly, I found the gut/poly hybrid to feel more comfortable on the PB 10 Mid than the full gut job......makes no sense, but it worked that way for me.

dgoran
06-08-2011, 06:24 AM
I found that hybrid works best and yes its really really good racket and very forgiving for a mid,I use to own YT Prestige Mid and this is little bit easier to use mid.

Hominator
06-08-2011, 06:34 AM
Using gut in the mains masks the harshness of the poly. The poly merely tames some of the power of the gut and adds more bite on the ball. Interestingly, I found the gut/poly hybrid to feel more comfortable on the PB 10 Mid than the full gut job......makes no sense, but it worked that way for me.

How long do hybrids last before the poly goes dead? Is it similar to how long a full bed of poly goes dead? Also, in a hybrid, how do you know when the poly goes dead? Thanks for the help.

Hominator
06-08-2011, 06:35 AM
I found that hybrid works best and yes its really really good racket and very forgiving for a mid,I use to own YT Prestige Mid and this is little bit easier to use mid.

I totally agree. I used to own a MG Prestige Mid and for some reason, the Volkl plays so much bigger and easier than the Prestige. Maybe because the Volkl has a larger sweet spot...

spdskr
06-08-2011, 07:12 AM
How long do hybrids last before the poly goes dead? Is it similar to how long a full bed of poly goes dead? Also, in a hybrid, how do you know when the poly goes dead? Thanks for the help.

In my experience, both the poly and gut last much longer in the hybrid than either type of string in a full bed. I consider the poly dead when the gut mains are no longer straight after points. I will also start to spray balls at about this time as the gut starts to dominate the string bed. In the 6.1s this used to happen at around 15 hrs. I already have over 15 hrs on one of the PB 10s and no movement yet. I'm also getting less sawing of the mains from the poly on the PB 10s. Looks like the hybrids will last longer on these frames.

Hominator
06-09-2011, 11:05 AM
In my experience, both the poly and gut last much longer in the hybrid than either type of string in a full bed. I consider the poly dead when the gut mains are no longer straight after points. I will also start to spray balls at about this time as the gut starts to dominate the string bed. In the 6.1s this used to happen at around 15 hrs. I already have over 15 hrs on one of the PB 10s and no movement yet. I'm also getting less sawing of the mains from the poly on the PB 10s. Looks like the hybrids will last longer on these frames.

That sounds promising. Since I have a package of VS/Pro Hurricane sitting around, I think I'll string one of my PB10 mids with this hybrid.

BreakPoint
06-09-2011, 01:19 PM
After reading all the great reviews and the perfect specs of the PB 10 Mid, I had my hopes up really high. But then I tried it and was thoroughly disappointed. More hype than substance in my opinion. The balance felt weird and it just wasn't stable. As much as I wanted it to, it just didn't work for me at all. :(

Dgpsx7
06-09-2011, 01:40 PM
After reading all the great reviews and the perfect specs of the PB 10 Mid, I had my hopes up really high. But then I tried it and was thoroughly disappointed. More hype than substance in my opinion. The balance felt weird and it just wasn't stable. As much as I wanted it to, it just didn't work for me at all. :(

It actually takes a little while at least for me it did. At first I didn't like it that much then I kept using it and eventually whether I liked it or not I realized I would play better tennis with it than my other sticks.

Sometimes that happens..

Hominator
06-09-2011, 01:42 PM
It actually takes a little while at least for me it did. At first I didn't like it that much then I kept using it and eventually whether I liked it or not I realized I would play better tennis with it than my other sticks.

Sometimes that happens..

Happened to me, too. Definitely didn't like it my first time around, especially strung w/Gosen OG Sheep 16. Couldn't get it out of my mind, so I bought one a few months later and I enjoyed it immensely.

spdskr
06-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Happened to me, too. Definitely didn't like it my first time around, especially strung w/Gosen OG Sheep 16. Couldn't get it out of my mind, so I bought one a few months later and I enjoyed it immensely.

I can understand not liking the frame initially, especially if it is strung with something you don't like. The behavior of the PB10 Mid is very string dependent in my opinion.

roundiesee
06-09-2011, 09:11 PM

Agree with BP; I too was disappointed, but I shall give this racket the benefit of the doubt and will likely attribute my dislike to the strings (my friend strung his with TF xcode). Hope I shall have another chance to try it with a different string set-up :(

zumzool
06-09-2011, 10:14 PM
There is nothing wrong with being disappointed with the racquet. It's not for everyone. I'm probably not an ideal user of the racquet but I can appreciate what it does do well for certain players.... And what it does do well is what earns it the high marks...

jk816
06-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Hey all, been surfing 'round TW for a couple of years now (much like TONS of people here) and I can't help but notice the ratings that TW testers give the rackets they review... But as you all know, barely ANY racket touches the mid-80s range in overall ratings. I believe the K90 was one of them and now I've been looking at the PB10 Mid lately and it has an 85 overall rating too. Plus, in the review they gave all compliments, barely any dislikes.

So now I'm asking owners of the racket to chine in any insights on why they love/dislike the racket. Is it comparable to, say, Prestige Mids? Dunlop 100s/200s? I know it's not quite a beefy monster as Wilson's 6.1s and Pro staffs so that's not a good comparison.

Anyway, it should boil down to one question: Should I Get It?:confused::confused::confused:

From my experience, I'd have to say the PB10 Mid is the real deal. When I began my racquet demo/acquisition odyssey last year, I most certainly did not expect to wind up with a Volkl (I'd only bought their skis in the past--darn good ones at that!). Historically, I'd always wound up with Wilsons. Various prostaff models when I was younger (heavy & stiff) and Ncode ones when I bought into the light racquet craze (hello arm troubles!).
So going to a heavier, more flexible racquet (mostly players sticks in that category) I expected to like a Wilson BLX 6.1 version and got a handful of demos of those, Head, and a throw in of the PB10 Mid out of curiousity.
The PB10 mid was certainly an eye opener. Never felt any racquet like it, the soft yet solid feeling, easy depth, pace and spin if you just let the racquet do the work. It beat the others out easily; my wife and daughter had the same opinion after trying it, so it wasn't just me.
And it has seemingly ruined me for other racquets. Since swinging the PB10 Mid, none have felt as good. I've bought two now, but the wife and daughter are still demoing (the PB10 Mid is too heavy for them to use regularly). All told we've had 25 demo racquets (I try them all anyway). Still nothing better although I could be very happy with the Becker London, which despite the other Volkl models is the closest thing to a PB10 "lite". My girls are ready to settle on Londons, as they like the plush feel and forgiving nature in a lighter package.

I'd say the PB10 Mid is great for classic stroke styles and those who let the racquet do the work; if your swing style is to muscle the racquet, you'll struggle with it. I'm not sure it lends itself as well to the Windshield Wiper style of forehand, as that tends to give away some of the plow through that makes the racquet so effective (effortless depth and penetration).

I've always strung it with full bed of multi; Gripper has worked best for me, but X-1 Biphase is pretty good too. I'm about the give a gut /poly hybrid a try (curiousity got the best of me).

Good luck!

Jim

MCN
06-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Love this stick when feeling good and playing well. Works great for me with a good multifilament like Tecnifibre Biphase but less so with poly strings as I suffer with TE. Have compared with X10 325 which is more forgiving on mis-hits but quite a bit stiffer so I keep coming back to PB10 mid. Only slight downside with PB10 for me is that if I'm tired or off the boil the smaller head size is a bit more demanding (although the sweetspot is quite big for it's size). The angles and spin you can work up with this coupled with control and accuracy are outstanding and if you're confident and have good strokes with full swings this racquet is a classic.