PDA

View Full Version : Elbow problems. New racket?

Cham6
06-08-2011, 06:04 AM
I'm currently playing with Wilson BLX Pro Tour but it seems to hurt my elbow. Especially on serves and overheads there is a slight to medium pain on the outer side of my elbow. I haven't had this with my previous racket, so I decided to go back to the previous weight of around 290g unstrung.
I've already tried Wilson BLX Six.One Team 18x20... a bit less stable but easier to maneuver (and also because of being 25g less in weight I get tired later), I liked it.
If it proves to be too light I can still add lead tapes.

Please share your experience and thoughts of elbow problems during serve (yeah, my technique definitely needs improvement) and Wilson 6.1 Team 18x20. Thanks.

fuzz nation
06-08-2011, 06:23 AM
The first thing I need to ask is what sort of string you're using? If you've got elbow pain and you're using poly or kevlar, even in a softer frame with an arm-friendly reputation, you need to get softer string in there immediately.

Cham6
06-08-2011, 09:32 PM
My current string is Signum Pro Plasma HEXtreme, 24/23 kg.

Cham6
06-09-2011, 03:54 AM
I'm going to try the Wilson BLX Pro Tour with MSV Hepta Twist 26/25 kg today.
MSV is said to be softer than Signum.
Actually I went down from 26kg to 24 when the elbow problems started. I'll see how it goes when back to 'original'.

fuzz nation
06-09-2011, 04:32 AM
Dump the poly. That stuff is inherently not resilient - the "softer" polys are still polys. If you've never sampled a multifiber of even a 17 gauge syn. gut, it's time. You're probably not going to get any relief for that elbow without a softer string type.

If you can afford to try out some natural gut, that stuff has been magical for players with elbows that are susceptible to irritation, too.

Cham6
06-09-2011, 04:52 AM
I'll play today with the MSV (if no rain) and tomorrow morning and I'll see.
Before, I haven't had any problems with the Hurricane Pro Tour in a Babolat Pure Storm for years.

Which multi/sync gut would you recommend?

mikeler
06-09-2011, 04:57 AM
Dump the poly. That stuff is inherently not resilient - the "softer" polys are still polys. If you've never sampled a multifiber of even a 17 gauge syn. gut, it's time. You're probably not going to get any relief for that elbow without a softer string type.

If you can afford to try out some natural gut, that stuff has been magical for players with elbows that are susceptible to irritation, too.

Listen to the fuzz nation...

mikeler
06-09-2011, 04:57 AM
Before, I haven't had any problems with the Hurricane Pro Tour in a Babolat Pure Storm for years.

Mantis Comfort Synthetic. Very soft, low powered but poor durability.

Zeb
06-09-2011, 05:02 AM
I think you're just adjusting to a heavier weight and swing weight probably. Your arm will get used to it if you perserve with the Pro Tour 96. For me its too light so its horses for courses. But when ever I go to a heavier racket I will notice my elbow and tricep and wrist being a little sore but it soon goes away after a few weeks as your muscles develop and grow with handling the new weight. Good luck!

Cham6
06-09-2011, 07:05 AM
Zeb, may be. The Pro Tour is 20g heavier than my previous racket. How long do you think it takes to adjust to a heavier racket (with four days of play per week)?

Zeb
06-09-2011, 11:23 AM
You need to give it a few weeks and just rally for a couple of hours each session with a hitting partner. You should then find out for sure if it's for you and also your arm muscles will adjust and get stronger in time. Avoid match play and doubles because the experience will make you make a premature decision. So rally a lot with it and hit serves too. See how you go but don't give up so quick!

Hominator
06-09-2011, 11:26 AM

Wilson NXT 17 is one of the softest multis I've tried, but Babolat Xcel 17 is my favorite multi. Comes in black, too, now.

coloskier
06-09-2011, 01:28 PM
Elbow problems are mostly due to 2 things:
1. Poly strings, which transmit the shock a lot more than other strings (except Kevlar, which is even worse).
2. Poor form.

Dump the poly, try Mantis or Head RIP Control, which lasts a lot longer. If that doesn't work, take some lessons. If that doesn't work, then look at the racket stiffness. If it is over 63/64, your arm is going to hurt.

Cham6
06-09-2011, 11:06 PM
The racket has a stiffness rating of 62.

I'm already taking lessons. I was in a coaching session this morning with the new MSV Hepta Twist. Unfortunately because of rain it lasted only half an hour, so I could not practice serves, but while hitting groundstrokes I could feel that, although poly, this string is much softer than the previous string I used. I actually enjoyed it. We'll see how it goes.

Serve and overhead are my worst shots, but trying to hit them hard surely contributes to my elbow problems.

Torres
06-10-2011, 04:20 AM
I've got a couple of BLX 6.1 Teams, which I've weighted up (far too light for singles play in stock form), a few BLX 6.1 95s, and have also hit with the BLX Pro Tour in the past.

If you've got arm problems you shouldn't really be playing with full bed poly. Try a hybrid or a synthetic gut. If you're a beginner/improver, I think you're crazy to be playing with poly when you haven't yet developed proper stroke mechanics or proper foundations to your technique and form.

Also the Pro Tour has a very dense pattern for an 18x20 racquet, which will contribute towards the stringbed feeling stiff.

The 'nice' thing about the Wilson is that its got quite a hard grip (Pro-Hybrid), which should force you not to grip the racquet too tightly. You also need to ensure that any racquet you do have has a reasonable swing weight. I think swingweight is more important than static weight in this context.

The most important factor though in my opinion - at least as important if not more important than the choice of string - is having the correct form. I see so many players at the 3.0-4.0 level going for too much too soon, when their technique doesn't support it. One of the worst things you can do is have a stiff arm, be gripping the racquet too tightly, having a short swing, or trying to muscle the ball. You need to have a fairly loose arm, and allow the weight of the racquet to go through the entire of the arc of the swing, and not be pivoting your arm from your elbow. It might be an idea for you to take a video of yourself to look at your form and make sure that you're hitting the ball sufficiently out in front of you, and that you have a long, full swing with your elbow away from your body, and that you're using the weight and momentum of the racquet through the swing to generate power. You really want to have a smoother, looser swing before thinking about adding too much power.

Cham6
06-10-2011, 05:29 AM
Good description there, thank you very much, my experience shows that your points are all valid.

I use a soft overgrip - this is not the best then...
Well, I actually took a video of myself... shocking :) Especially the serve, where I feel the pain. (I've got no problems with other shots).

I'll try to focus on my serve with the coach.

Bedrock
06-10-2011, 11:47 AM
There is no racquet can help to cure the elbow. Just stop playing first, and later reduce "on tennis court" time ~ by 2 times.

yonexpurestorm
06-10-2011, 01:14 PM
hey cham6. loved the racket your talking about. used to get really bad tennis elbow after only serving a few times. i switched to many different rackets and strings, but found that for my style of play the bab pure storm tour was excellent. i just strung it up with polystar energy mains 54 and mantis confort cross 56 and i think i found my new setup. u should look into the pure storms. the tour has a good power but the limited may fit your selection a little better because of the weight. just make sure to use a soft multi in the cross at least. i tried mantis because mikeler raves about the stuff. i mixed with polystar cause i heard it has good power and is soft. played 2 singles sets last night and no arm pain at all. and i was using my big flat serve which i didnt even dare going for with wilson or my yonex rdis 100 mid.