PDA

View Full Version : PDR or PD

xeros
06-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Hello

I'm 5.5 Level player, i'm a baseliner with a great and powerfull forehand, a two handed backhand normal, i don't do the game with it and a good serve
Which one could be great, i use actually a prestige mp, which pure drive could be better for me, and has more control ?

HurricaneDominic
06-08-2011, 07:00 AM
I myself would go for the Pure Drive Roddick.
I like the added weight, but it depends on your game.
I mean, it sounds like you could play with either.

5imon
06-08-2011, 07:10 AM
go with the pdr if you can handle the weight, i like the extra weight of the roddick version and i think it plays more solid.

xeros
06-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Ok thanks the weight is not a problem !!
But which one has more power because i need control!
And which string could be great at what tension ?

gatorbait01
06-08-2011, 07:39 AM
The pure drive roddick is great for serving and from the baseline. Very solid and stable. It is so powerful that I could never control it from inside the baseline. I actually found myself "letting up" on midcourt balls that should be ripped. I had to switch and leaded up my dunlop 4d 500 tours. Much better.

If you are a 5.5 I'd say go with the Roddick.

jibinhe
06-08-2011, 08:19 AM
using PD sepcially PDR means you need hit lots of topspin to control the ball. If your shots are rather flat, you should stay with your prestige.

If you hit lots topspin, injury free and have skills of a real 5.5 which preventing you from injury, PDR is great for serving and topspin games. PD is easier to use as lighter however less stable. IMO, PDR has more controlable power.

I used PDR for one and half year, I really liked them. Now I am in love with my Organix 8. It plays like a PDR, however slightly lighter and much more comfortable.

esgee48
06-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Why not look at or demo the Pure Storm Tour? I don't think you really need the power of a Pure Drive or Pure Drive Roddick.

Praetorian
06-08-2011, 08:47 AM
i'm a baseliner with a great and powerfull forehand

No offense, but for some reason I just find this hilarious :twisted:

pyrokid
06-08-2011, 09:55 AM
No offense, but for some reason I just find this hilarious :twisted:

I laughed at that too.

TheBoom
06-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Pure drive rodick it is great and powerful

Devilito
06-08-2011, 08:41 PM
i've play tested both. It's the same racquet +- weight. You can make a PD like a PDR. The only advantage of the PD is you can customize it the way you want.

Bartelby
06-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Yes, most players on tour have the red at 6 indicating a pure drive so I wonder how customized they are?

dgoran
06-09-2011, 06:13 AM
i've play tested both. It's the same racquet +- weight. You can make a PD like a PDR. The only advantage of the PD is you can customize it the way you want.

I would caution you that Pure Drive and Pure Drive Roddick are NOT the same stick they come from 2 different molds.

Pure Drive GT Std comes from Pure Drive Team mold and Pure Drive Roddick comes from Pure Drive Swirly mold.

Difference is slight and appears negligible nut in reality it translates to Roddick being stiffer more solid at impact of the two due to the 1 mm thicker throat.

Thus YOU CANNOT take Pure Drive GT and Make it in to Pure Drive GT Roddick even at matching specs.

TU87
06-10-2011, 05:55 AM
I would go with the Roddick if you are that good of a player and can handle the weight. I got the Roddick over a year ago after getting back into playing (It was on sale and I liked it during the demo) but couldn't handle the weight, gave me shoulder pain, so I went with the Pure Drive 107. Has I've gotten better I just switched back to the Roddick and I can handle it now and love the control. I demo'd the PD recently also but still prefer the Roddick. As for strings I recently put on the RPM VS gut combination from Babolat and love them.

Up&comer
06-10-2011, 07:20 AM
Pure drive rodick it is great and powerful

Lol. It would suit his forehand well then.

BobFL
06-10-2011, 08:00 AM
"Roddick" all the way. As my coach :) dgoran said, they are not the same and you cannot simply match the specs and expect the same racquet...

Devilito
06-10-2011, 08:05 AM
I would caution you that Pure Drive and Pure Drive Roddick are NOT the same stick they come from 2 different molds.

Pure Drive GT Std comes from Pure Drive Team mold and Pure Drive Roddick comes from Pure Drive Swirly mold.

Difference is slight and appears negligible nut in reality it translates to Roddick being stiffer more solid at impact of the two due to the 1 mm thicker throat.

Thus YOU CANNOT take Pure Drive GT and Make it in to Pure Drive GT Roddick even at matching specs.

thanks for the info. I guess i like the better flex in the regular PD and it feels just as solid when you customize it.. Like you said though difference are minimal when you’re swinging away at a forehand or what have you. More difference would be the strings and tension used.

MethodTennis
06-10-2011, 03:17 PM
a 5.5 would probably know what they are looking for? try them both?

user92626
06-10-2011, 03:32 PM

I really DOUBT that in a blind test, most recreational players could tell apart these two rackets with specs matched by professional.

Devilito
06-10-2011, 03:42 PM
I really DOUBT that in a blind test, most recreational players could tell apart these two rackets with specs matched by professional.

i doubt most professionals could tell the difference

dgoran
06-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Maybe you are correct but I have to go off what I feel and I can feel flex I can only assume that there are others out there who can tell a difference. I was simply stating the fact its up to each individual to determine via playtest what they like more.

dgoran
06-10-2011, 06:32 PM
"Roddick" all the way. As my coach :) dgoran said, they are not the same and you cannot simply match the specs and expect the same racquet...

Hahaha Why Bab-a-little when you can Babolat :)

ssonosk
06-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Hahaha Why Bab-a-little when you can Babolat :)

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/8594/22820761zp1.png (http://img518.imageshack.us/i/22820761zp1.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

xeros
06-10-2011, 11:51 PM
I m going to test both strung at 25 kg with Rpm !!

xeros
06-11-2011, 06:26 AM
And do you think i must try APD GT, because i watch tsonga and it is a flat hitter !!

PED
06-11-2011, 09:41 AM
And do you think i must try APD GT, because i watch tsonga and it is a flat hitter !!

My last 2 sticks were the pdr and the apdgt. I prefer the apd as it's somewhat softer than the pdr and easier on my shoulder.

Both hit a very similar ball when the apd is leaded up to the same specs. I've got my apd's at 334g and 32.5cm.

The pd standard is also nice when leaded up to the spec. the great thing about the pd as opposed to the pdr is that you can spec it up with lead wherever you want: I like mine right under the buttcap and under the bumper as well. It comes around very quickly.

Power Player
06-11-2011, 09:46 AM
I preferred the pdr as well, but the stiffness of both scared me off. I used the APDC for quite a while and slowly developed some hand pain. Not really the racquets fault, but it just taught me I needed flexier sticks as I have a wrist condition I have to watch out for.

I also hate thick beams..I'd strongly suggest trying the pure storm tour as well as I feel it has the best feel of the 3.

mrtrinh
06-11-2011, 10:58 AM

i have a flat backhand and play moderate spin on the forehand side. I much prefer the pd over the apd. I felt the apd really lacked mass in the head which made it feel unstable when hitting my groudstrokes. The aeropro is definitely made for topspin players who really brush up on the ball. I guess thats why babolat designed the pure drive (for people who hit through the ball), definitely more mass on the head and feels very solid on groundstrokes.

I just sold my apd's and going back to my pd's

Ross K
06-11-2011, 11:59 AM
i have a flat backhand and play moderate spin on the forehand side. I much prefer the pd over the apd. I felt the apd really lacked mass in the head which made it feel unstable when hitting my groudstrokes. The aeropro is definitely made for topspin players who really brush up on the ball. I guess thats why babolat designed the pure drive (for people who hit through the ball), definitely more mass on the head and feels very solid on groundstrokes.

I just sold my apd's and going back to my pd's

Interesting. Relative of course, but I never felt they were so terribly different from each other.
R

phnx90
06-12-2011, 07:51 AM

I believe he uses the + variant and not the standard length APD, so keep that in mind too

mrtrinh
06-12-2011, 08:16 AM
his racket is also weighted up... theres a thread somewhere, around 12.2 oz

Boricua
06-12-2011, 08:20 AM
Hello

I'm 5.5 Level player, i'm a baseliner with a great and powerfull forehand, a two handed backhand normal, i don't do the game with it and a good serve
Which one could be great, i use actually a prestige mp, which pure drive could be better for me, and has more control ?

I suppose the Roddick, considering the racket you use. But demo both if you can.
Also, an expert on Volkls says that the Volkl Organix 8 competes with the Pure Drive so you can consider that one also.

shnasizzle
06-12-2011, 08:46 AM
you should easily be able to use the pure drive roddick from all areas of the court. im gonna get 2 of these soon and coming from a blx six one tour this racket is about an ounce lighter and the pdr still provides good plow through

xeros
06-12-2011, 09:39 AM
What string should i put on pdr ?

Boricua
06-12-2011, 09:50 AM
What string should i put on pdr ?

Try Weiss Cannon Black5Edge

user92626
06-12-2011, 10:43 AM
My main stick has always been the apd, then I picked up a pdgt which feels a bit stiffer. Nevertheless both feel the same solid and I can get used to the difference in no time at all. It's just gripsize that's different.

I figure there's no point in having too very similar rackets. So, I put lead on the pdgt to weigh 11.7 (same as roddick) and roughly 1/2 inch (4, 5 points) headlight.

The roddick-like pdgt is kinda overkill for games against light-average opponents. It's harder to get shots near/in service box over with ease than its worth its baseline advantage. I'm particularly good at this with my light apdc.

xeros
06-16-2011, 01:14 PM
I try the wilson Blx pro open and i love it !! I prefer it at the pure drive more control and good power she was string with Lux Alu at 24 kgs maybe i Will try with black savage
But i don t have test yet the PDR!!!
Do you think i should try or buy the pro open ?

mixedguy
06-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Hello

email me ... mixedguy117@gmail.com

xeros
06-22-2011, 11:31 AM
hey guys!!
actually i play with pure drive roddick and i've got problem to hit flat forehand, this racket is too much powerfull!!
blx pro open is good better for flat forehand but not great, and too light
which racket could be like PDR but i'll like to hit flat forehand

BobFL
06-22-2011, 12:34 PM
hey guys!!
actually i play with pure drive roddick and i've got problem to hit flat forehand, this racket is too much powerfull!!
blx pro open is good better for flat forehand but not great, and too light
which racket could be like PDR but i'll like to hit flat forehand

I hit as flat as you can possibly imagine and I am fine with pdr. You have to adjust your grip and/or swing/contact point. Also, what string do you use? I currently have it strung with B5E and it is simply terrific.

whomad15
06-22-2011, 12:40 PM
5.5 and you're not sure what racquet to use?

I never understood the "I hit flat, racquet too powerful" why don't you try tightening the strings or adding a little bit of spin to your shots

xeros
06-22-2011, 12:57 PM
What i would Like to say it's i need power and tolérance on my backhanded and a lot of control on my forehand

xeros
06-22-2011, 12:59 PM
5.5 and you're not sure what racquet to use?

I never understood the "I hit flat, racquet too powerful" why don't you try tightening the strings or adding a little bit of spin to your shots

And i don t Want to add spin to my forehand

And in despite of my Level i'm not sûre with what racket i ve to use

Fed Kennedy
06-22-2011, 01:00 PM
have you ever tried an extreme?

xeros
06-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Nô it is a good racket with more control

xeros
06-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Exo3 tour 18x20. , blade, Head spead IG 300 ??