PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Friendly But Not Too Flexy?

JMcQ
06-08-2011, 09:44 AM
In September, I had a torn labrum repaired and bone spurs removed. I'm still recovering but play regularly (my serve is still between 60% - 75%, however). Going forward, I want to ensure that my shoulder recovers fully and stays healed. To this extent, I am considering whether to demo "shoulder-friendly" frames.

About me - 4.0 player. Heavy topspin forehand. 1-handed backhand. Love the net. If I can't volley well with it (I'm looking at you Prince EXO Tour 16x18), I will not consider it. Currently, I play with a Pure Storm Tour GT with lead tape at 3 and 9 (So the swingweight is about 340?).

Ultimately, I like frames that are soft but not too "flexy." For example, I am not a fan of the Redondo, Black Ace, etc. Instead, I like frames that are soft but crisp. Also, 3 - 5pts HL, regardless of overall weight, works best for me.

Any suggestions of shoulder friendly frames without the mushy flex?

richsox
06-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Why not try the Pure Storm GT - lighter version of tour, yet stable/crisp delivering power when you need it, and the lighter weight may be better for your shoulder.

mikeler
06-08-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm debating about getting a Pro Kennex 7G to try out in lieu of my Babolat PSTs+ (non GT). I have minor shoulder and elbow issues. The specs are fairly close and Pro Kennex is known for being arm friendly even though the flex rating is 66.

Agent Orynge
06-08-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm confused. You like frames that are 'soft but crisp,' and yet you snub the Black Ace?

JMcQ
06-08-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm confused. You like frames that are 'soft but crisp,' and yet you snub the Black Ace?

I found the Black Ace to have too much flex. It felt very mushy to me.

eman resu
06-08-2011, 12:04 PM
a 2hbh might be shoulder friendly ;)

JMcQ
06-08-2011, 12:10 PM
a 2hbh might be shoulder friendly ;)

If I could hit a 2hbh without either (1) flying it over the fence; or (2) dribbling it into the net, and if it didn't feel like the most unnatural thing in the world, I'd do it in a heartbeat. ..

Hominator
06-08-2011, 12:12 PM
In September, I had a torn labrum repaired and bone spurs removed. I'm still recovering but play regularly (my serve is still between 60% - 75%, however). Going forward, I want to ensure that my shoulder recovers fully and stays healed. To this extent, I am considering whether to demo "shoulder-friendly" frames.

About me - 4.0 player. Heavy topspin forehand. 1-handed backhand. Love the net. If I can't volley well with it (I'm looking at you Prince EXO Tour 16x18), I will not consider it. Currently, I play with a Pure Storm Tour GT with lead tape at 3 and 9 (So the swingweight is about 340?).

Ultimately, I like frames that are soft but not too "flexy." For example, I am not a fan of the Redondo, Black Ace, etc. Instead, I like frames that are soft but crisp. Also, 3 - 5pts HL, regardless of overall weight, works best for me.

Any suggestions of shoulder friendly frames without the mushy flex?

I've found that a racquet's weight affects the shoulder as much, if not more than a racquet's stiffness. You may want to take a look at either the Volkl Organix 10 295 or Pro Kennex Kinetic 5G. Both are firm, yet cushioned.

JMcQ
06-08-2011, 12:21 PM
I've found that a racquet's weight affects the shoulder as much, if not more than a racquet's stiffness. You may want to take a look at either the Volkl Organix 10 295 or Pro Kennex Kinetic 5G. Both are firm, yet cushioned.

Was thinking about the Org 10 295. Anyone with shoulder problems hit with this frame?

Hominator
06-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Was thinking about the Org 10 295. Anyone with shoulder problems hit with this frame?

TennisMaverick, one of the Volkl experts here on the board before he was banned, has had severe shoulder issues from his days playing pro tennis, and his shoulder felt fine when he playtested the Organix 10 295 for Volkl.

Duke26Ace
06-08-2011, 12:33 PM
TennisMaverick, one of the Volkl experts here on the board before he was banned, has had severe shoulder issues from his days playing pro tennis, and his shoulder felt fine when he playtested the Organix 10 295 for Volkl.

Tennis Maverick got banned ? His advice was really helpful..

Agent Orynge
06-08-2011, 04:56 PM

It's a solid frame, definitely soft and definitely crisp. You may also want to demo the Pacific X Force, which is also soft but has more pop.

This August will mark the two year point since I had my labrum repaired.

el sergento
06-08-2011, 05:03 PM

Not to derail your thread, but I'm debating having the exact same procedure. How long were you out for and how long was the rehab?

Also, as someone with a bum shoulder, I recommend the YTP Prestige Pro or MP. Crisp, not soft, but shoulder friendly.

Thanks

zumzool
06-08-2011, 05:06 PM

I don't think TM has ever said anything negative about volkl... Even if he did, we would never hear about it

eliza
06-08-2011, 05:37 PM
I am impressed, and happy, to hear that after such surgery you are almost fully back. I would be so scared.....I think that the advice on the Storm is on point.
Wish you all the best!!!

GorillaPeanuts
06-09-2011, 03:32 AM
If it's not Volkl it's not possible. Specially the PB10

michael valek
06-09-2011, 03:34 AM
kneissl white star / red star / black star

Hominator
06-09-2011, 04:05 AM
I don't think TM has ever said anything negative about volkl... Even if he did, we would never hear about it

He's posted that he didn't think the PB10MP Light was very good. I thought he posted that, or words to that effect, when asked about the frame.

vndesu
06-09-2011, 04:12 AM
have u thought about any of the dunlop 300 line?

JMcQ
06-09-2011, 10:44 AM
So I demoed two racquets yesterday - the Volkl Organix 10 295 and the Head YT Speed 300. For you interested in specs, here's a comparison:

Volkl Head

11.0 11.1
3 pts HL 3 pts HL
SW - 313 SW - 308
Stiff - 62 Stiff - 60

Volkl

Although softer when hitting groundstrokes, I could not hit the Volkl with any consistency. Most of the time, I was flying balls 10 ft long. Also, I noticed my shot trajectory was abnormally high; I typically hit a dipping ball but I spent the majority of time praying the ball would simply land in. 1hbh topsin was pretty good but slices floated on me. Volleys were okay.

Serves, for some reason, killed my shoulder. For this reason alone, I had to put this frame down.

Head

I noticed immediately that this frame feels stiffer than the Volkl regardless of the stiffness rating. Once I got over that, I relaxed and had a blast with this frame. Groundstrokes were what I wanted them to be - if I needed loopy, I got loopy. If I wanted flat, I could hit flat. Volleys were consistent and controlled. With the weight of the frame, I felt very quick at net.

Serves were fine and hurt less than expected. Better yet, I can lift my arm today so that is a good sign.

Ultimately, I'm excited to give the YT Speed another go.

Boricua
06-09-2011, 11:17 AM
So I demoed two racquets yesterday - the Volkl Organix 10 295 and the Head YT Speed 300. For you interested in specs, here's a comparison:

Volkl Head

11.0 11.1
3 pts HL 3 pts HL
SW - 313 SW - 308
Stiff - 62 Stiff - 60

Volkl

Although softer when hitting groundstrokes, I could not hit the Volkl with any consistency. Most of the time, I was flying balls 10 ft long. Also, I noticed my shot trajectory was abnormally high; I typically hit a dipping ball but I spent the majority of time praying the ball would simply land in. 1hbh topsin was pretty good but slices floated on me. Volleys were okay.

Serves, for some reason, killed my shoulder. For this reason alone, I had to put this frame down.

Head

I noticed immediately that this frame feels stiffer than the Volkl regardless of the stiffness rating. Once I got over that, I relaxed and had a blast with this frame. Groundstrokes were what I wanted them to be - if I needed loopy, I got loopy. If I wanted flat, I could hit flat. Volleys were consistent and controlled. With the weight of the frame, I felt very quick at net.

Serves were fine and hurt less than expected. Better yet, I can lift my arm today so that is a good sign.

Ultimately, I'm excited to give the YT Speed another go.

Consider the Pro Kennex Kinetic 5 or 7. Ive heard they are good for the arm. But, hearsay for me, have not used it. Cant demo this racket where I live.:(

Boricua
06-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Also Prince EXO. Its flexible and arm friendly they say.

Zverev
06-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Lighter swing weight is probably most important for your shoulder.
I don't think that flex matters that much for the shoulder.
Yes it does matter for your wrist and elbow, the shoulder gets what's left of the shock, which is probably not much, and it's bigger muscle. So my bet would be - try lighter swingweight.
Kinetic 5g pro, for example. And it's crisp, too crisp for my liking, actually. I like mushy.

ced
06-10-2011, 06:58 AM
kneissl white star / red star / black star

I agree with , Michael on the Kneissl Black Star .