PDA

View Full Version : What's so good about the Fairway leather grips?

dadozen
06-08-2011, 11:02 AM
A lot of people praise about these leather grips.

I have tested/used a lot of them( TW, Babolat, Wilson, Head ) and TW and Babolat were the best ones for me - TW for being thin and Babolat for best feel.

I know they have a very nice reputation, but I just want to know why: do they offer the best comfort/feel? Do they last longer? Are they thin/thick?

I'm thinking about getting one or two to try, since I was a leather grip user( TW ) and I just can't get back to the synthetic replacement grips.

Note that I'll be using it with an overgrip on top. Would it still make a difference?

Thanks!

Bhagi Katbamna
06-08-2011, 11:34 AM
I think it is because they are made with some unobtainium.

ger_greeny
06-08-2011, 11:36 AM
For me, fairway and other older leather grips actually have grip. I can't use modern leather grips without an overgrip because they slip right out of my hand. They are also softer than modern leather grips. For full disclosure, I haven't tried all the new leathers (Ive used babolat, wilson, prince, and gamma) particularly volkl which has a good reputation

Praetorian
06-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Personally I felt that they had just the right amount of tack, and feel, and maybe it's just me, but that little bit of cushioning. Today's leather's feel stiff, and would slip out of my hand, if I'm not paying attention.

Cup8489
06-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Personally I felt that they had just the right amount of tack, and feel, and maybe it's just me, but that little bit of cushioning. Today's leather's feel stiff, and would slip out of my hand, if I'm not paying attention.

have yuo ever used the Head Tour Leather? I've heard its a bit cushier and has better tack/grip.. I have an old one on one of my frames and there does appear to be more cushioning.

dadozen
06-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks guys!

It's great to know that it has more cushioning, but tack doesn't really bother me because I'll use an overgrip on top. Is it thin?

saigonbond
06-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Fairway shmairway...
Volkl leather is equal if not better, albeit at a better price point and better availability.
Approx. 1.7mm, 30g

ger_greeny
06-08-2011, 06:17 PM
The ones Ive used are thicker than the babolat and wilson. I wouldn't get a fairway if you use an overgrip. Theyre usually pretty expensive.

dadozen
06-09-2011, 08:16 AM
The ones Ive used are thicker than the babolat and wilson. I wouldn't get a fairway if you use an overgrip. Theyre usually pretty expensive.

Hmmm, so it won't give much of a difference if I use an overgrip on top?

mad dog1
06-09-2011, 09:45 AM
if you're using an overgrip, don't waste your money on a fairway. fairway grips are for those who appreciate the feel of a tacky high quality leather grip. you've got to try one out to understand.

wao
06-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Personally I felt that they had just the right amount of tack, and feel, and maybe it's just me, but that little bit of cushioning. Today's leather's feel stiff, and would slip out of my hand, if I'm not paying attention.Would agree, it is a softer leather imo.

dadozen
06-09-2011, 11:10 AM
I see. I guess I'll have to try one to understand:)

Is $45 for a pair of them a decent price?

CDestroyer
06-09-2011, 11:21 AM
I really wouldn't waste money on them. I have two one on a St Vince PS and a JK PS. They are just hard and heavy. I think they are sought after because they are kind of rare and were installed on classic racquets.

I took off my leather grips to replace with a much more comfortable 4 dollar synthetic replacement grip from Tourna.

Blade0324
06-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Fairway shmairway...
Volkl leather is equal if not better, albeit at a better price point and better availability.
Approx. 1.7mm, 30g

I agree with this for sure. The Volkl leather is great. I have tried the Head calfskin and the fairway and neither really impressed me that much.

Nextman916
06-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Fairway > RPNY > Volkl > everything else...although babolat belongs a bit higher than wilson, head, etc.

ben123
06-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Fairway > RPNY > Volkl > everything else...although babolat belongs a bit higher than wilson, head, etc.

thats not rly helpful u know.. the op saw all these "fairway best leather etc" responses already

the question is, is it rly so much better than other leathers and why? and its about playing with an overgrip
so basicly is it rly better to hav a fairway underneath the overgrip or will "normal" leather get the job done.

Shangri La
06-09-2011, 03:47 PM
'Other Equipment'