PDA

View Full Version : Donnay X-Dark Red questions

Snaab
06-08-2011, 11:07 AM
For those who have used this frame, how stiff did the frame feel to you?
Does it have a muted feel or is there more feedback?
I've used the X-Orange and thought if was quite different than the 70 RA sticker on the inside throat.
What does the manufacturer sticker put it at (64?)?
Also, general comments on its merits and shortcomings would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

JGads
06-08-2011, 12:56 PM
For those who have used this frame, how stiff did the frame feel to you?
Does it have a muted feel or is there more feedback?
I've used the X-Orange and thought if was quite different than the 70 RA sticker on the inside throat.
What does the manufacturer sticker put it at (64?)?
Also, general comments on its merits and shortcomings would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Stellar frame with unstellar feedback. It's just a little soft/muted in terms of feel, but can do amazing, amazing things with the ball. Easy depth. Absolutely, positively ridiculous serves (esp when you pop the 10g buttcap in), knife-through-butter slices and I've never hit more crazy circus shots in my life when scrambling. Feel wise, great if you like plush, soft frames, but since I'm always after a crispy feel I never felt wholly comfortable, but I can't deny how great of a frame it is. Lot of people didn't like it; to me I liked it more than any other X series frame.

joeellis
06-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Stellar frame with unstellar feedback. It's just a little soft/muted in terms of feel, but can do amazing, amazing things with the ball. Easy depth. Absolutely, positively ridiculous serves (esp when you pop the 10g buttcap in), knife-through-butter slices and I've never hit more crazy circus shots in my life when scrambling. Feel wise, great if you like plush, soft frames, but since I'm always after a crispy feel I never felt wholly comfortable, but I can't deny how great of a frame it is. Lot of people didn't like it; to me I liked it more than any other X series frame.

I agree with JGads assesments. It is my favorite of the original X-Series racquets and is my current singles stick.

It seems that a majority of people on this forum use poly strings or at least a hybrid of poly with other types of strings. I believe the dark red is better suited for a crisp multi filament. With that said, everyone used to the control and feel of poly may have difficulty with the power of many multi's, so the tension will need to be greater, but this will add to the crisp feel. I really believe thare is enough control to use a multi or a hybrid. It definitely has more pop than many player's racquets, but is still controllable imo.

If you can attain a feel that is acceptable with this racquet, it is exceptional. Everything JGads said is correct imo. Great plow thru, accuracy, control. For me, I feel I get better forgiveness with it than any of the other X-Series 94's.