PDA

View Full Version : Why did player start wearing longer shorts then they used to wear in 70's 80's n 90's

tusharlovesrafa
06-08-2011, 11:32 PM
I really want to know thay why did tennis players start wearing longer shorts now then they used to wear it before???Is it a trend or something else??

BobFL
06-09-2011, 12:08 AM
These days players are much taller. They just wanted to cover the same area hence the new style...

gpt
06-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Good question. I think Pete Sampras had a lot to do with making long shorts fashionable

Can't think of a name
06-09-2011, 12:32 AM
short shorts were okay to wear back in the day for guys, not just in tennis, but in general. It was just a trend.. like poofy curly hair and clothing in lates 80s / 90s.

Bartelby
06-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Sixties and seventies - slim look short shorts
Eighties and nineties - baggy look big shorts
Noughties - slim look slim long shorts

fashion designers rule, so even sporting jocks are just as 'girly' in their submission to fashion

vive le beau jeu !
06-09-2011, 01:06 AM
I really want to know thay why did tennis players start wearing longer shorts now then they used to wear it before???Is it a trend or something else??
by the way... another question is: when did they start playing in shorts ?

http://www.chansons-net.com/tennis/champions/Borotra/Borotra-06.jpg

http://www.tenisportal.si/uploads/Image/ivan%20lendl(2).jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_67ReQxiC9QA/TTkX8w1KGlI/AAAAAAAAAKU/pHlB3ce4Kuw/s1600/andre-agassi.jpg

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/marcos-baghdatis-aussie10d.jpg?w=450

fms
06-09-2011, 01:37 AM
That last one is baggy.

BevelDevil
06-09-2011, 01:54 AM
I don't think the baggies came in til around the mid 1990s. That may be roughly the time that the NBA went baggie, so I don't think it's just tennis.

We might want to cross check against women's fashion. Perhaps women went short, thus men felt compelled to move the opposite direction.

Bud
06-09-2011, 02:08 AM
Tennis fashion doesn't occur in a vacuum. It ebbs and flows with the fashion in the cultural mainstream.

Regular guys were wearing those short shorts back in the 70's and 80's too.

tusharlovesrafa
06-09-2011, 02:09 AM
Tennis fashion doesn't occur in a vacuum. It ebbs and flows with the fashion in the cultural mainstream.

Regular guys were wearing those short shorts back in the 70's and 80's too.

Great post......:)

kishnabe
06-09-2011, 03:59 AM
It was because of the Fab Five....

BrooklynNY
06-09-2011, 07:05 AM
Pete Sampras had a lot to do with making long shorts fashionable
This.
I think the transition was sometime around 94.

BreakPoint
06-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Sixties and seventies - slim look short shorts
Eighties and nineties - baggy look big shorts
Noughties - slim look slim long shorts

fashion designers rule, so even sporting jocks are just as 'girly' in their submission to fashion
Tennis players still wore the slim short shorts in 80's and 90's. Just look up pictures of Edberg, Becker, Lendl, etc. during those periods.

Datacipher
06-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Good question. I think Pete Sampras had a lot to do with making long shorts fashionable

He did. Funny that "boring" ol' Pete was a focal point of that trend. At one point, Agassi and Sampras disputed who started baggy shorts!

I do think it was likely Sampras, because he was more inspired by the NBA, being a pretty big fan. Agassi just adopts whatever Nike designers bring him....which at the time...was that pirate/grunge look.

If one goes back a bit farther, in 1994 by mid-year, Sampras was already starting to show pretty baggy shorts....Agassi was still wearing fairly little black ones, with his weird blue/white/black or red/white/black outfits.

r2473
06-09-2011, 01:47 PM
by the way... another question is: when did they start playing in shorts ?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJatwb-WlI/ScF4HJqbXQI/AAAAAAAAJCY/X1906fM2x44/s400/nadal_indianwells_5.jpg

r2473
06-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Just as long as women's skirts keep getting shorter and the tops are cut lower.

Vortex Tour 95
06-09-2011, 01:53 PM

Pete Sampras: 1st to wear basketball shorts

Courier: first to wear baseball cap

Borg : first to wear rope chain

Evert: first to wear tennis bracelet

Izod lacostte: first to wear polo shirt

Connors: neck sweat band

Nadal: pirate shorts

Agassi : pirate look

Fed: gold trimmed jacket with matching purse .

junbumkim
06-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Hmm
I remember reading something along the line that Sampras had something to do with bringing baggy shorts like NBA players..And, he said he complained how he could be accsued of being boring when he was the one starting that trend..

Bud
06-09-2011, 09:28 PM

Donald young.. first to wear hip hop bling :)

magnut
06-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Conners with the neck sweat band was pretty cool. Cash had the towel tucked in his shorts.....also cool. Lendle had the lawrence of Arabia thing going....that was neat.

Most of the subtle stuff i always liked. The Agassi stuff was a joke. He looked like a rodeo clown sometimes. Federer's purse was a disgrace.

I like the short shorts just for the comfort aspect. They just felt good. Compared to todays apparel they are like playing in your undies.

The whole Sampras look came as a result of him likeing to play in soccer shorts. He used to wear Umbros type shorts in practice a bit.

magnut
06-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Donald young.. first to wear hip hop bling :)

Jack Kramer was the first to wear a T-shirt. Not sure about shorts though. I am pretty sure that was pre Kramer.

JustBob
06-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Williams sisters: First to wear "wtf is that ugly crap supposed to pass for fashion"

BreakPoint
06-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Before he went all out to the long shorts, Sampras used to wear long spandex underwear under his short shorts to cover his thighs:

http://0.tqn.com/d/tennis/1/0/Z/K/pete_sampras_forehand_grip.jpg

http://www.samprasfanz.com/gallery/1990/1993wim/93wim01.jpg

:shock:

magnut
06-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Yeah a lot of them did. Many were wearing BIKE compression shorts. They were actually pretty good and functioned well. I think Pioline was the last to wear the full length ones. Many players still wear shorter versions of those shorts. You just cant see them anymore.

Vortex Tour 95
06-10-2011, 04:36 AM

Lendl Saudi Arabia foreign legion hat

Renee Richards was actually the first to wear a purse not Federer.

vive le beau jeu !
06-10-2011, 06:03 AM

Lendl Saudi Arabia foreign legion hat

Renee Richards was actually the first to wear a purse not Federer.
mark goellner: cap backwards

dominik hrbaty: "the" shirt

Bossy
06-10-2011, 06:06 AM

German player Marc-Kevin Goellner wore the baseball cap backwards all of the time.

There were others who wore it like that before him though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLNkn6aFE4M

vive le beau jeu !
06-10-2011, 06:39 AM
German player Marc-Kevin Goellner wore the baseball cap backwards all of the time.

There were others who wore it like that before him though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLNkn6aFE4M
point taken, thx for the clip !
funny to see both mecir and lendl with the cap backwards... i had no memories of them wearing it like this !
(hope lendl didn't do that with his legionnaire cap...)

Manus Domini
06-10-2011, 07:15 AM

any pics of that? Never knew that existed

MAX PLY
06-10-2011, 07:21 AM
^^
I think they are referring to a wet handkerchief tied around his neck for hot days--Connors was hardly the first to do that but in that era of tennis on television he was likely the most conspicuous.

Vortex Tour 95
06-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Courier was the first tour player to regularly wear a baseball cap while on court. He was known as being a huge baseball fan, his favorite team having been the Cincinnati Reds.

http://www.basictennis.com/jim-courier.html

tennytive
06-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Jordan said he wore oversized Bulls uniform shorts so he could wear his North Carolina shorts underneath.

If I remember right, he told Oprah when he was on her show, that he always wore them. Before she could even ask, he then admitted he was "wearing them now" under his suit.

Marius_Hancu
06-10-2011, 08:52 AM
It all comes from US basketball.
They changed the fashion and everybody followed like a herd.
And a lot came from prudishness associated with it all: we can't show those male muscles, only female muscles must be in sight :-[

ashitaka2010
06-10-2011, 09:21 AM
http://www.samprasfanz.com/gallery/1990/1993wim/93wim01.jpg

That's awful :)

martini1
06-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Fashion is just an endless cycle. They go long-short-long-short-....

So what was hip in the early 80's will be coming back in the next 5-6 yrs. Mark my words for it. The 60's and 70's made their come back already. The 80's is so in line.

marc45
06-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Good question. I think Pete Sampras had a lot to do with making long shorts fashionablehe claims to in his book

Federerx16
06-11-2011, 09:29 AM

The Sisters have probably influenced tennis fashion more than all of these players combined.

Vortex Tour 95
06-11-2011, 02:45 PM
The Sisters have probably influenced tennis fashion more than all of these players combined.

Not really.

They may have been more outlandish but none of their ideas became a trend.

However today almost everyone wears basketball length shorts, baseball hats and the Tennis bracelet is worn by even non tennis players,