PDA

View Full Version : Why no 17mm?

rajah84
06-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Is it becasue it breaks to soon? Is it weaker? I was told that it gives you more spin, isn't that a good thing?

Thanks for helping out a beginner to all this.

Spin-A-Lot
06-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Actually there are...http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/DonnayRacquets.html

rajah84
06-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Actually there are...http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/DonnayRacquets.html

I'm sorry, my mistake. I meant string. Should have been more clear.

I remember hearing somewhere that Mary Pierce used 17 gage. What are the pro's and cons?

Thanks.

OTMPut
06-08-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm sorry, my mistake. I meant string. Should have been more clear.

I remember hearing somewhere that Mary Pierce used 17 gage. What are the pro's and cons?

Thanks.

there are millions of them. search the string forum.
or go through feedback by string brands at the store section.

Can't think of a name
06-08-2011, 11:54 PM
You probably mean gauge, not millimeter..cause 17 milometers would be really fat. There are 17 gauge strings out there..they just aren't as prevalent because like you said..they break quicker. And yes they do give you a bit more spin, but since you are a beginner, you should worry more about stroke mechanics for spin.

rajah84
06-09-2011, 12:02 AM
You probably mean gauge, not millimeter..cause 17 milometers would be really fat. There are 17 gauge strings out there..they just aren't as prevalent because like you said..they break quicker. And yes they do give you a bit more spin, but since you are a beginner, you should worry more about stroke mechanics for spin.

milometers, that is pretty thick. I didn't do very well in math.

Pros don't brake strings very often during matches and they could use ten raquets and get them strung during matches. There has to be more to it then durability. They probably don't produce as much power or something.

Can't think of a name
06-09-2011, 12:12 AM
a lot of pros do break multiple sets of strings per match. And of those who don't, they are usually the ones who change racquets during breaks just because they don't like the lowered string tension from hitting.16 is the most popular and common string out there because i think it has the best of all qualities: spin, power, and control. And if you really want more spin..then you get 17, but the trade off is less durability.

rajah84
06-09-2011, 12:15 AM
a lot of pros do break multiple sets of strings per match. And of those who don't, they are usually the ones who change racquets during breaks just because they don't like the lowered string tension from hitting.16 is the most popular and common string out there because i think it has the best of all qualities: spin, power, and control. And if you really want more spin..then you get 17, but the trade off is less durability.

Thanks for the input.

PimpMyGame
06-09-2011, 12:19 AM
There has to be more to it then durability. They probably don't produce as much power or something.

Thinner strings produce more power and spin. I think it is more to do with what setup you get used to as an older junior or young (adult) pro. At those ages, durability is of great importance because these guys hit so hard and will just burn cash if they use a thin string that keeps breaking.

We all know on this board that pros rarely change their equipment which probably means that they find a string setup they like at a relatively young age and stick with it.