PDA

View Full Version : Nadals greatest weapon : INTIMIDATION

Vortex Tour 95
06-09-2011, 07:15 AM
*”If I had Rafael Nadal’s arms, I’d wear those shirts all the time. I’d wear those shirts to funerals.”

But there’s a whole other kind of intimidation — a much scarier kind to me — that comes from someone or something being inescapable. The thing that made the original Terminator such an intimidating movie character, I think, is that he would not stop. He could not stop. He was programmed to kill, and this goal took up 100% of his circuitry. He wanted to kill Sarah Connor more than she wanted to stay alive. That feeling of no escape is suffocating in ways that sheer force and will and power is not. Andy Roddick hits perhaps the hardest serve in the history of tennis. But somehow that doesn’t feel as intimidating to me as a player who runs everything down and never stops and returns the ball harder than you hit it in the first place.

For that moment, during that point, while watching Nadal return shot after shot against Federer — this bloodless pummeling of Federer’s body — I imagined myself in Federer’s place on the other side of the court from Nadal. I imagined hitting the best shots available in my imagination. I was hitting lines. I was moving him side to side. I angled a brilliant forehand to hit to the deuce court. Then, upon the inevitable return, I hit the perfect backhand off the line on the ad court. He reached that too. Back and forth. I hit the ball so hard it turned into fire. He returned it. I overhead slammed the ball so the bounce went to the 23rd row. He ran into the crowd and hit it back. Even in my imagination, even with only my own mind to hold me back, I could not figure out a way to put Rafael Nadal away.

I think, when he’s done playing, Nadal will be universally accepted as the best who ever lived. He will need to win at least seven more Grand Slam titles, because that’s how many he needs (right now) to pass Federer on the list, and we do base our greatness on numbers*. But I suspect that he will retire with the Grand Slam record. He’s 25 years old. He is all but invincible in Paris. He has won the last two Wimbledons in which he has played. He has won 10 Grand Slam events. At 25, Federer had won eight.

sarmpas
06-09-2011, 07:22 AM
in which he has played. He has won 10 Grand Slam events. At 25, Federer had won eight.

Players hit their stride at different ages. Nadal started winning slams earlier than Federer in chronological age.

For Nadal from 1st slam to most recent slam 7 years have passed and he's won 10. For Federer in the 7 year period starting from his first slam win Federer has won 15 slams. 5 more than Nadal.

sureshs
06-09-2011, 07:22 AM
Rafa is the GOAT, that is what it says, and it is right. No tennis player ever had so much raw determination.

nadalbestclass
06-09-2011, 07:23 AM
I expect a lot of "cool story bro"s. lol. He has another year max of the kind of play you are describing, that's the method that makes him so successful at RG, which is why I find it ridiculous when people say he will win 8-10 RG. I can't see him playing this way at 28!

tusharlovesrafa
06-09-2011, 07:24 AM
HAFA IS THE REAL GOAT...Other players are only cows...

OTMPut
06-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Rafa is the GOAT, that is what it says, and it is right. No tennis player ever had so much raw determination.

exactly, GOAT of raw determination.

as far titles go we need to wait and see.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
06-09-2011, 07:50 AM
yatta yatta yatta...who cares?

bolo
06-09-2011, 08:01 AM
see for every wertheim, there is another guy who's dropped. :)

Cup8489
06-09-2011, 08:21 AM
I expect a lot of "cool story bro"s. lol. He has another year max of the kind of play you are describing, that's the method that makes him so successful at RG, which is why I find it ridiculous when people say he will win 8-10 RG. I can't see him playing this way at 28!

what? a Rafa fan who is not nuts? I bow to you, sir (or ma'am [best to cover all bases, no?])

Yea, Especially on clay, Rafa must be downright terrifying to have to play against. I used to think back when Federer was on top that he should just play a more aggressive game to beat Rafa; but after Sunday, I just was thinking "God, I would have to have to face that guy on a sunday on clay. I'd go nuts trying to hit through him.. after about 20 minutes I'd be out of racquets from breaking them!"

Legend of Borg
06-09-2011, 08:24 AM
see for every wertheim, there is another guy who's dropped. :)

The Old King is dead, long live the King.

It's all just a phase.

If he doesn't bring the goods at Wimby, they'll drop him like a sack of potatoes.

Same with Nole and Fed.

Sentinel
06-09-2011, 09:43 AM
It'll be really sad if Fred manages a couple more. Rafans will then Rafa to win 8 more before he retires. Or if Noel starts beating Rafa at FO and WO too.
If Noel wins the next 3 slams, or even wins everything other than the FO, its gonna be awful hard for Rafa to catch 16.

Rafa totally depends on Noel !!!

zagor
06-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Nadal's greatest weapon is his intimidating stare,lesser players have been know to crap their pants from it.It's almost like magnum from Zoolander.

Nadalfan89
06-09-2011, 11:18 AM
It'll be really sad if Fred manages a couple more. Rafans will then Rafa to win 8 more before he retires. Or if Noel starts beating Rafa at FO and WO too.
If Noel wins the next 3 slams, or even wins everything other than the FO, its gonna be awful hard for Rafa to catch 16.

Rafa totally depends on Noel !!!

Settle down kiddo. Djokovic only has 2 slams and they're both at the same tournament.

CDestroyer
06-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Novak will keep Rafa from beating Feds major record. Doesn't that get your goat psyco?