PDA

View Full Version : Pat Cash quote...

forthegame
06-09-2011, 08:32 AM
Of Stepanek, today he said:

"... he has a very flexible racquet so he doesn't have to do much to get pace..."

Implying that flexy racquets give easy pace/power?

That can't be right, can it?

magnut
06-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Probably just a gaff. He might have meant to say weight. Cash knows what he is talking about so I am sure he mispoke.

My flexible heavy racquets have a lot more power than stiff light racquets. Stiff and heavy is a different animals all together IE Wilson Profile, Yamaha 04 etc.

vsbabolat
06-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Back during the wood era where Cash is from. It was thought at that time the more Flexible racquets produced more power. We know now that that is not true.

forthegame
06-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Didn't sound right at the time. Weight is probably what he wanted to say.

magnut
06-09-2011, 09:31 AM
basic physics for strikeing an object is that weight is power. All this stiffness stuff is more about feel than anything else. Sure..stiff racquets have a little more power but its pretty much useless when a racquet weighs 9-10 ounces. Most to light to offer any real stability.....therfore they try to get around the stability issues with more mass without the weight...wider frames and bigger sizes. The result ends with a really stiff feeling, light, unstable frame that feels like swinging a fan more than swinging an actual tennis racquet. This is also a big reason why so many people are taken back with old school frames.

Honestly though people should not be looking at racquets for more power anyways. A racquet purchase should be based on one thing only.....and that is feel. Most buyers of racquets really are not skilled enough to feel much of a difference so the main buying factor is cosmetics and professional endorcement.

ericsson
06-09-2011, 09:48 AM
I have Radek his racket and can confirm it is very powerful...