PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Racquet Advice Thread

John Dark
06-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Hi folks.

I just started playing again recently and am looking for a beginner racquet I can grow with. Have done a bunch of research and spec compiling on a few dozen models and have narrowed it down to two*:

Yonex RQ-Ti Power Long ($50)
110", 27.5", 9.9oz, 4 HH, 16x19, 60 stf, 327 swgwt.

Prince TT Warrior OS ($70)
107", 27.5", 11.2oz, 6 HL, 16x19, 67 stf., 331 swgwt.

All the racquet-buying guides I have found on the net warn about how light, head-heavy, stiff racquets destroy your elbow. So I am a little concerned about the Yonex in that regard. On the other hand, I wonder if the Warrior will be too low-power for me. My swing needs some help.

I played many many years ago, in high school and used a Head Arthur Ashe Competition Edge MP. Of course, it's been so long, I don't even remember what the feel on that racquet was. I am probably a 2.5 player right now at best and was probably never more than a 3.5 in my youthful prime.

Specific questions to answer:
* Which of the two would you recommend?
* Is the Yonex moderate enough to not be considered an elbow-crusher?
* Will the Prince be too advanced for my current level?

(*Considered and discarded: Dunlop 300G, Prince More Response OS, Prince More Power 1150, Prince More Thunder OS, Prince Triple Threat AirLaunch OS, Prince Triple Threat Attitude OS, Prince ThunderCloud Ti, Head i.X5 OS, Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3 OS, Wilson H5 OS, Wilson H6 OS, Wilson Hyper ProStaff 5.1 Surge, Yonex RQ-Ti Power Standard. Original list compiled from old TT threads).

Thanks in advance.

eLterrible
06-28-2005, 10:39 AM
I've played with the TT, it's a pretty good oversized racquet, probably one of the only OS I'd ever consider using, and has the potential to be a good player's racquet with some customization. I've never played the Yonex, but I'd suggest the Warrior off the bat.

TwistServe
06-28-2005, 10:40 AM
That yonex stick is like a kids racquet. its so light it'll break you

NoBadMojo
06-28-2005, 10:58 AM
in your case i would avoid anything long, so i would avoid both of these frames. if the Yonex is indeed a 327 swingweight, that sure ain't a kids racquet and certainly isnt light. those swingweights could be problematic for someone without decent racquet work. look for something in the 100-110 headsize range, 300-310 swingweight, and standard length but not head heavy balanced..you can use TW's racquet finder tool to help you. always best to err on the light side as it is far easier to weight a racquet up than to remove weight from it

donnyz89
06-28-2005, 11:05 AM
warrior out of the two... many ppl are gonna give a completely different racquet, but if the two u named are the ones u like then warrior just because its at least over 10 oz. super light racquets are not good for you. and... the two racquets have completely dif specs. from heavy to light, two dif balances, one flexible one stiff... idk what u are looking for.

if u are a beginner, buy a racquet from walmart and work on your game, thats the most efficient way to spend your money, buy lessons not racquets if u are a beginner.

John Dark
06-28-2005, 11:16 AM
in your case i would avoid anything long, so i would avoid both of these frames. if the Yonex is indeed a 327 swingweight, that sure ain't a kids racquet and certainly isnt light. those swingweights could be problematic for someone without decent racquet work. look for something in the 100-110 headsize range, 300-310 swingweight, and standard length but not head heavy balanced..you can use TW's racquet finder tool to help you. always best to err on the light side as it is far easier to weight a racquet up than to remove weight from it

Volkl Tour 7 seems to meet those recommended specs:
107", 27", 5 HL, 11.1 oz, 63 stf., 305 swngwt.

And it's in my price range at $60. edit: Make that was. I don't see them on TW's liquidation page anymore.

NoBadMojo
06-28-2005, 11:26 AM
i think that would be a good choice and not too stiff so it wont give you arm problems..it isnt going to be a powerful frame but if you dont string it too tightly and use a lively string i think it would make a nice bat for you. good luck, and let us know how you make out if you like.