PDA

View Full Version : Name Your Top 5 Dangerous "Floaters" in Men's Wimby

stringertom
06-09-2011, 10:38 AM
There is always an upset or two in the first week of The Fortnight. This year will be no exception, I'm sure. Currently, there is a tie for 32nd in ATP rankings and seven others within 100 points of the final seed. On the outside, looking in are some notable "big gamers". Name your top 5 dangerous "floaters", guys even the top seeds don't want to see in their section.

Walenty
06-09-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm assuming you mean players outside the top 32 only.

Basically any big server could get hot one day and win tiebreaks and matches, like you've said. I'll go with:

1. John Isner
Coming off a five setter with Nadal, and returning to Wimby with the hype he created last year, I don't see any reason why he couldn't do well this year.

2. Sam Querrey
Sam can be a good player on Grass, winning Queens last year. He just needs a big win over a top player, which he couldn't do against Murray last year at Wimby.

3. Feliciano Lopez
I don't think anybody doubts that Feliciano can be very dangerous on grass, nobody wants to get him in an early round.

4. Dr. Ivo
Has a history of knocking off players in early rounds. I don't even know if he's playing Wimby though?

5. Kevin Anderson
Another big server. Dangerous.

Honestly though, none of these five are likely to make it past the round of 16, if even. If you're looking for a "real" dark horse, you'll have to start going into the 20's and further.

Nadalfan89
06-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Tsonga
Gasquet
Nalbandian
Wawrinka
Isner

TheMagicianOfPrecision
06-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Isner
Karlovic
Tsonga
Soderling (imo a floater since he is lightyears away from the top 4 level-wise)
Wawrinka
Raonic

PSNELKE
06-09-2011, 11:32 AM
1. Mugic - as always. He has a chance to make a QF run but that´s it.

2. Querrey - well he´s decent on grass but cant serve to save his life.

3. Tsonga - is finding some form recently.

4. Felicia - grass is his best surface, he was bombing tons of aces against Roddick.

5. Wawa just because I dont see any other.

Guys who will fail early imo. Berdych, Troiclown, Mugro and Dasco, Juanito.

Prodigy
06-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Isner
Karlovic (Just going to lump these three guys together. They've all got monstrous serves and anything can happen on grass when you've got a weapon like that. Get into a couple tie-breaks and who knows what could happen.)
Anderson

Lopez (Has a good grass game and the surface really helps his him. Has proven himself capable of going far in the Wimbledon draw.)

Hewitt (I'm surprised nobody has put Hewitt down so far. He's had some pretty good results on grass the past few years despite his decline. Almost beat Roddick making the Wimbledon Semi's in '09 and who knows what could have happened against Murray if he played him. Also beat Federer in the Halle final last year. Nobody is going to want Hewitt)

I picked players out of the Top 32.

Lsmkenpo
06-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Philipp Petzschner- his game is very good on grass, great slice, volleys, and can serve big.

Marcos Baghdatis- good grass court results in his career

John Isner- Great serve, tough to break.

Alexandr Dolgopolov- took Tsonga to 5 sets last year losing 10-8 in 5th. His unpredictable all court game seems well suited for grass.

Lleyton Hewitt- still a threat to the top players on grass if healthy.

coloskier
06-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Gotta agree with Raonic. If he gets hot on his serve for the entire match you might as well go home, especially on grass. Luckily for most players his serve is usually only hot for 50% of the match.

glazkovss
06-09-2011, 01:35 PM
They use special rankings for seedings so Hewitt can end up seeded thanks to Wim09 QF and Halle title.
Other dangerous unseeded I'd say Isner, Petshner, Kohl, Karl, even Falla (remember Fed?:)) and DeBakker (remember Nadal?:)). Most terrifying are Long John and Dr. Ivo.

Tammo
06-09-2011, 01:41 PM
1# Isner (if he gets a good draw)
2# Fish
3# Raonic
4# Feli Lopez
5# Gasquet

Backbored
06-09-2011, 01:53 PM
1. Wawrinka
2. Karlovic
3 del Potro
4. Ferrer
5. Fish

Rhino
06-09-2011, 02:04 PM
1. Lleyton Hewitt
2. Philip Kohlschreiber
3. Sergiy Stakhovsky
4. Mikhail Youzhny
5. Adrian Mannarino

Legend of Borg
06-09-2011, 02:06 PM
1. Dimitrov

2. Raonic

3. Querrey

4. Isner

5. Federer

Backbored
06-09-2011, 02:16 PM
1. Dimitrov

2. Raonic

3. Querrey

4. Isner

5. Federer
Lol,5. Federer

Rhino
06-09-2011, 02:17 PM
5. Federer

He's won it six times out of the last 8 years.

To me the definition of a dangerous floater is someone who may not be a likely champion, but can cause a potential upset. Karlovic for example has been a dangerous floater for the last ten years, but you can't call Federer a floater!

Legend of Borg
06-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Lol,5. Federer

He's won it six times out of the last 8 years.

To me the definition of a dangerous floater is someone who may not be a likely champion, but can cause a potential upset. Karlovic for example has been a dangerous floater for the last ten years, but you can't call Federer a floater!

http://www.gamesprays.com/images/icons/trollface-3078_preview.jpg

Sorry guys.

Just wanted to see you react.

Qubax
06-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Isner
Karlovic (Just going to lump these three guys together. They've all got monstrous serves and anything can happen on grass when you've got a weapon like that. Get into a couple tie-breaks and who knows what could happen.)
Anderson

Lopez (Has a good grass game and the surface really helps his him. Has proven himself capable of going far in the Wimbledon draw.)

Hewitt (I'm surprised nobody has put Hewitt down so far. He's had some pretty good results on grass the past few years despite his decline. Almost beat Roddick making the Wimbledon Semi's in '09 and who knows what could have happened against Murray if he played him. Also beat Federer in the Halle final last year. Nobody is going to want Hewitt)

I picked players out of the Top 32.

Hewitt played Roddick in the QF last year.....but I'm guessing you knew that since you said he could have done good against Murray....

the trouble is at this stage Hewitt is a grinder like Roddick....to be honest, pretty similar games.

The one big difference is Roddick's serve. And at Wimbly it's a pretty big difference.

jhutch
06-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Dustin Brown- you gotta love this guy, I hope he gets into wimbly

Timbo's hopeless slice
06-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Hewitt played Roddick in the QF last year.....but I'm guessing you knew that since you said he could have done good against Murray....

the trouble is at this stage Hewitt is a grinder like Roddick....to be honest, pretty similar games.

The one big difference is Roddick's serve. And at Wimbly it's a pretty big difference.

umm, Hewitt can actually volley...

citrixscu
06-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Dr. Ivo, JWT, The Legend of John Isner, Fish, Sir. Richard.

powerangle
06-09-2011, 03:40 PM
I almost feel like Roddick should be getting floater status with the way he plays these days. Now if he makes some noise at Queens (ie winning it), I would put him back into the favorites column.

kishnabe
06-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Hewitt won it before...and he has one each at Grass title at least once. If the surface is as fast or at least plays like grass should....his counterpunching style would work and could volley well Plus he is a great fighter....and even a hip busted hewitt pushed Roddick to 5 in 2009. SO he can do some damage....and may get another chance.

Roddick....the guys has been the best guy not to win Wimbledon for so long. He has a huge serve, know his footing around the grass. Has the motivation and hunger for Wimbledon which is unequaled in other slams.

Lopez.....his game has change from clay ocourting to more of a grass courter. A fine slice backhand that could be very liable in some sistuations would be a strong weapon here. He can volley well.

Berdych and Gasquet. Both are mentally ill sometimes and can let the ocassion get to them. They are dangerous in the sense that they can play well on grass. Berdych reached the final in 10 and Qtr in 07. Gassy reached semis in 07 and had his chances in 08 to reach Qtr. Gasquet had his career defiing match against Roddick here and Berdych against Federer. If the draw bodes well and if they are primed and ready. They can give a scare to the top players.

Last but no least.....Raonic. He is the second coming or Sampras....jkjkjk. He has a the natural game to do well on grass....have expectations for him. If he can keep it to together he can reach the second week for sure. Trouble many guys on HC....if Grass can at least be somewhat typical of a grass court....Raonic will do damage.

sarmpas
06-09-2011, 03:59 PM
I almost feel like Roddick should be getting floater status with the way he plays these days. Now if he makes some noise at Queens (ie winning it), I would put him back into the favorites column.

That's what I'm thinking. Forget the stuff about slower courts different balls etc. what's happened to Roddick's forehand, it is slow. Federer who's had his career side by side with Roddick is still hitting as as fast or almost as fast as he every did IMO.

stringertom
06-09-2011, 06:15 PM
A "floater" cannot be a seeded player, rather someone who could wind up playing a top player in the first or second round, win and then take it further through that section the seeded player has been eliminated from. Therefore, Raonic is not a "floater" as he is inside the top 32. Isner has dropped out of the top 32 and, as he exhibited at RG, is a guy capable of pushing out the top guns. So please, no Roddicks, no Feds, no Fishes,etc.

My five would have to include Isner, Karlovic, Hewitt, Petzschner and Lopez (I believe none can make it into the top 32 or will be given seeding by Wimby). Hewitt could be if he wins Halle but it would be a stretch by the committee.

Bud
06-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Hewitt, Lopez, Isner, Petzschner, Falla

There are always many dangerous floaters on grass (further proof that the surface is neither slow nor clay-like)

Doubles
06-09-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm assuming you mean players outside the top 32 only.

Basically any big server could get hot one day and win tiebreaks and matches, like you've said. I'll go with:

1. John Isner
Coming off a five setter with Nadal, and returning to Wimby with the hype he created last year, I don't see any reason why he couldn't do well this year.

2. Sam Querrey
Sam can be a good player on Grass, winning Queens last year. He just needs a big win over a top player, which he couldn't do against Murray last year at Wimby.

3. Feliciano Lopez
I don't think anybody doubts that Feliciano can be very dangerous on grass, nobody wants to get him in an early round.

4. Dr. Ivo
Has a history of knocking off players in early rounds. I don't even know if he's playing Wimby though?

5. Kevin Anderson
Another big server. Dangerous.

Honestly though, none of these five are likely to make it past the round of 16, if even. If you're looking for a "real" dark horse, you'll have to start going into the 20's and further.
I would pretty much pick these five guys as dark horses. Big serves, and they can be dangerous when they're on...

NLBwell
06-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Isner, Querry, and Ivo K. would certainly be in the top 32 favorites if not in the 32 seeds. Kevin Anderson is a good pick. He had a good spring hardcourt season. Definitely dangerous. Raoinic with his serve should be a factor.

urban
06-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Isner (who is dangerous in the first rounds on fast clay too), Raonic, whom i saw at Halle this week(good serve, long legs, should train to move a bit better), Lodra, Karlovic in the first week.

Mikael
06-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Kind of off-topic, but when was the last time a player ranked outside the top 10 won a slam? USO 2002 with Sampras? How about reached a semi?

I have a feeling these are becoming increasingly rare events...

ernestsgulbisfan#1
06-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Ernist Bloogis :)

Legend of Borg
06-09-2011, 11:57 PM

lol

That five setter with Federer has made Fallito a grass court beast.

stringertom
06-10-2011, 12:16 AM
lol

That five setter with Federer has made Fallito a grass court beast.

Nadal barely escaped early round disaster vs. Roberto!

Moose Malloy
06-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Kind of off-topic, but when was the last time a player ranked outside the top 10 won a slam? USO 2002 with Sampras? How about reached a semi?

Unseeded Gaudio won '04 French.

Youzhny made semis of last year's open as #12 seed.

well, when you have 32 seeds, it does increase the likelihood of top players making later rounds. not to mention homogenization of playing styles & surfaces. dangerous floaters really don't exist anymore.

Magnus
06-10-2011, 03:25 PM
I just hope either Fed, Roddick, or Murray win it. But anyone other than Djokovic/Nadal will satisfy me.

gunnd5000
06-10-2011, 03:29 PM
1# Isner (if he gets a good draw)
2# Fish
3# Raonic
4# Feli Lopez
5# Gasquet

Fish floater at nine in the world. Right...

gunnd5000
06-10-2011, 03:35 PM
umm, Hewitt can actually volley...

Roddicks actually really quite good at the net. Infact Iwould say his vollies are fantastic. Its his singles positioning and when he aproaches in singles that a re the weak link in the chain. At doubles his vollies are actually really good when his positioning isnt a key factor and the approach isnt as tactical

stringertom
06-11-2011, 12:55 AM
Roddicks actually really quite good at the net. Infact Iwould say his vollies are fantastic. Its his singles positioning and when he aproaches in singles that a re the weak link in the chain. At doubles his vollies are actually really good when his positioning isnt a key factor and the approach isnt as tactical
Gotta say though it was only one shot, ARod would have some more hardware on the mantle if his forehand volley mechanics were a little more sound. A two-set lead would have been enough the way he was serving in the '09 Wimby final. You just can't miss one of those!

stringertom
06-12-2011, 08:26 PM
A "floater" cannot be a seeded player, rather someone who could wind up playing a top player in the first or second round, win and then take it further through that section the seeded player has been eliminated from. Therefore, Raonic is not a "floater" as he is inside the top 32. Isner has dropped out of the top 32 and, as he exhibited at RG, is a guy capable of pushing out the top guns. So please, no Roddicks, no Feds, no Fishes,etc.

My five would have to include Isner, Karlovic, Hewitt, Petzschner and Lopez (I believe none can make it into the top 32 or will be given seeding by Wimby). Hewitt could be if he wins Halle but it would be a stretch by the committee.

Delete Petzschner if the back is bad; insert Kohlschreiber.

tennisfarmer
06-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Ivo is my pick.............

accidental
06-12-2011, 08:57 PM

Hewitt and Roddicks ground games are about as different as 2 baseliners can be....

1.Hewitt
2. Raonic
3. Isner
4. Anderson
5. Querrey

Bud
06-12-2011, 09:14 PM

There are always many dangerous floaters on grass (further proof that the surface is neither slow nor clay-like)

Delete Petzschner if the back is bad; insert Kohlschreiber.

Ditto on that :)

TennisCanada1
06-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Isner
Karlovic
Tsonga
Soderling (imo a floater since he is lightyears away from the top 4 level-wise)
Wawrinka
Raonic

wait a second...
you're saying soderling is light years away from MURRAY?
i think you mean murray is lightyears away from the top 3 level-wise

Bud
06-12-2011, 10:05 PM
wait a second...
you're saying soderling is light years away from MURRAY?
i think you mean murray is lightyears away from the top 3 level-wise

He doesn't understand what a floater is :)

He named 6 players when asked for 5... and 4 of the 6 are seeded (thus removing their floater status).

KyomasaNTH
06-12-2011, 10:28 PM
All big servers are dangerous on grass.
1) John Isner
2) Milos Raonic
3) Ivo Karlovic
4) Feliciano Lopez
5) Kevin Anderson

Rhino
06-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Dustin Brown- you gotta love this guy, I hope he gets into wimbly

DB lost in the first round of qualifying to Grega Zemlja.

Kaz00
06-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Players at 30 or older.
Isner
Querry
Karlovic
RAONIC
Llodra

stringertom
06-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Watch out for Ryan Harrison, if he survives the qualies! Guccione could also be a "danger" man. Especially at Wimby, there's almost an advantage to having to qualie because you get the extra match play to adjust to conditions without getting worn out. Even long 3-setters rarely last more than 2 hours.

May have to "cheat" and adjust my five with this in mind.

IvanisevicServe
06-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Mahut: If he's on he can threaten to beat anyone on grass. Probably wouldn't have the mental strength to close it out, but he can take a set off anyone.

Isner: You serve big, you've always got a chance on this surface.

Petzschner: Big serve and the surface really suits his game.

Karlovic: See Isner.

Kohlschreiber: Underrated player on his best surface.

Honorable Mention for Tommy Haas, though he hasn't found his form yet after that long layoff.

BeHappy
06-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Obviously Del Potro.

Legend of Borg
06-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Obviously Del Potro.

Awkward movement on a low-bouncing surface.

Not sure if he would benefit from the grass season.

stringertom
06-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Obviously Del Potro.

Delpo will be a seed, ergo not a "floater". You still have 5 guesses...no seeds allowed, like the best of grapes or watermelons.

staxor
06-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Cilic (can play well when the serve is going well)
Davydenko (still has good shots to cause an upset)
Ljubicic (can beat Djoker, Nadal and Roddick in succession when his serve is firing)
Karlovic (unstoppable when the serve is awesome)
Isner (nearly as good as Dr Ivo)
Dodig (has a good serve for a little guy, runs well)
Mayer (junkballer who can cause an upset)

Proset
06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
1) Ljubicic- haven't read the whole thread but did not see a mention of him. He probably won't be seeded but he can play well on grass and has had good results in the past.
2) Isner, Karlovic, and Lopez definitely fall into "I hope I don't get him in my draw" category.
3) Llodra
4) Stepanek
5) Davydenko (and, though he'll be seeded, watch out for Florian Mayer to make a good run and maybe even cause an upset)

Bud
06-13-2011, 08:03 PM
A FLOATER is somebody who is unseeded and can thus cause an early upset!

STOP listing seeded players :)

Shaolin
06-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Gulbis could be a threat to take out a top seed, then lose second round.

Proset
06-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Gulbis could be a threat to take out a top seed, then lose second round.

Gulbis definitely has a potential to take out a high seed, or to lose in straights to a journeyman, we just never know which Ernests will show up.

Lion King
06-13-2011, 09:42 PM
5 biggest servers outside the top 10

Shaolin
06-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Gulbis definitely has a potential to take out a high seed, or to lose in straights to a journeyman, we just never know which Ernests will show up.

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he beat the world #1 or lost to a guy ranked # 300. He's impossible to predict.

TennisFan3
06-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Rafael Nadal, Del Potro, Soderling, Raonic, Isner

PCXL-Fan
06-14-2011, 12:08 AM

Is Federer still seeded?

stingstang
06-14-2011, 12:52 AM
Mahut: big serve, awesome volleys, nasty opponent
Stepanek: gave nadal a scare at queens. Ok a very tired nadal but still
Tursonov: kinda forgotten but can still hit BIG on his day. Reached 4r before.
Lopez, Querrey, Isner: obviously.

stringertom
06-14-2011, 08:29 AM

Can one man (in this case, two) hold back the tsunami of tardism displayed daily on this and other threads? Unfortunately, the answer is "No". So we must separate the wheat from the chaff, the floaters from the seeds and let ***** be *****.

BTW, I'm looking at the 10-day weather forecast for SW19...pretty gloomy stuff (warmest day low 70's with rain possible all 4 first days of main draw. Advantage who? The elite will get CC indoors for 1 if not 2 rounds. Less upsets?

Andres
06-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Lopez.....his game has change from clay ocourting to more of a grass courter. A fine slice backhand that could be very liable in some sistuations would be a strong weapon here. He can volley well..
His game never changed from claycourting to grasscourter. He's always been a grasscourter. In fact, we are all VERY surprised he did so well this clay season.

Comet Buster
06-14-2011, 09:31 AM
ARod would have some more hardware on the mantle if his forehand volley mechanics were a little more sound.

Biomechanically Roddick's volleys are good. People who say things like 'he's got stiff mechanics bla bla' are absolutely clueless. You volley with your feet not just your hands; That is where Roddick lacks + bad anticipation. The mechanics are only half the story when up at the net.

Tammo
06-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Anyone in the top 8 seeds should be scared because A-Rod might be 9 or 10 seed.

zagor
06-14-2011, 09:44 AM
George Bastl .

stringertom
06-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Biomechanically Roddick's volleys are good. People who say things like 'he's got stiff mechanics bla bla' are absolutely clueless. You volley with your feet not just your hands; That is where Roddick lacks + bad anticipation. The mechanics are only half the story when up at the net.

It was actually a BH volley missed badly to wipe out ARod's third set point in the 2nd set tiebreaker vs. Fed in the '09 Wimby final. A tough but makeable shot that probably was the difference in this tight match. Crunch time sometimes induces underlying flaws to rise to the surface, no?

Bhagi Katbamna
06-14-2011, 10:14 AM
It was actually a BH volley missed badly to wipe out ARod's third set point in the 2nd set tiebreaker vs. Fed in the '09 Wimby final. A tough but makeable shot that probably was the difference in this tight match. Crunch time sometimes induces underlying flaws to rise to the surface, no?

The reason he missed that wasn't because his form was poor or that he volleys poorly. He missed it because he thought it was going out and was going to let it go and then at the last fraction of a second decided that it might not go out and then tried to hit it.

batz
06-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Anyone in the top 8 seeds should be scared because A-Rod might be 9 or 10 seed.

I think Arod will be 8th seed. In fact I'm certain he will be.

Gorecki
06-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Kewal, Dharmendra, Sunny, Bobby, Karan...

mandy01
06-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Clear winner!

stringertom
06-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Bud, I sense the tsunami cresting!

An honest "floater" qualifier question: Tomic, Harrison & Guccione all advanced today fairly easily. They play once more, best-of-five, tomorrow. Any of them got staying power in main draw, IYO? I like Tomic & Harrison but Guccione is a big lefty serving machine...your take?

Comet Buster
06-14-2011, 01:18 PM

Roddick doesn't miss volleys due to poor mechanics. He rarely misses volleys. He just makes stupid volleys most of the time. Yes, getting tense can effect shots but that's mental, not mechanical. If there's a mechanical problem in a shot then it won't break down on big points as the only reason pro's shots break down is either to do with being tired or because of a lack of footwork which has a lot to do with fatigued. Bottom line is on the ATP strokes rarely break down due to mechanical flaws.

Shaolin
06-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Roddick doesn't miss volleys due to poor mechanics. He rarely misses volleys. He just makes stupid volleys most of the time. Yes, getting tense can effect shots but that's mental, not mechanical. If there's a mechanical problem in a shot then it won't break down on big points as the only reason pro's shots break down is either to do with being tired or because of a lack of footwork which has a lot to do with fatigued. Bottom line is on the ATP strokes rarely break down due to mechanical flaws.

It's commonly known that Roddick has technique issues on his fh volley where he tries to volley in almost a semiwestern fh grip sometimes. He also cups under it too much which makes it sit up giving an easy passing shot. His bh volley is pretty decent.

zagor
06-14-2011, 02:00 PM

I agree overall but I'd also add that he often hits bad approach shots,coming behind the right shot is important as well.

Legend of Borg
06-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Roddick is magic at net.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwbnU4W3S4A

pound cat
06-14-2011, 02:37 PM

Ivanisevic...2002 Wimbledon ...odds were 1/250

Gaudio...2004 FO came out of nowhere

These 2 matches are some of the most exciting slam finals I have watched...and re-watched

no one expected either of these guys to get to the semi's, let alone win the final.

Comet Buster
06-14-2011, 02:55 PM
I agree overall but I'd also add that he often hits bad approach shots,coming behind the right shot is important as well.

Approach shots are logical not mechanical. Roddick executes volleys well for someone who doesn't have great anticipation, the footwork or the appraoch shots to be a great net player. He should just crank 100mph forehands. He would probably bag another major as when he does this he's A) Either in a slam final or B) Beating top players or C) Not losing to guys like Lu/Wawrinka/Tipsarevic.

accidental
06-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Xavier Malisse has been playing some pretty solid tennis the last 12 months or so and has had good results on grass before. Maybe he could do some damage

Andres
06-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Ivanisevic...2002 Wimbledon ...odds were 1/250

Gaudio...2004 FO came out of nowhere

These 2 matches are some of the most exciting slam finals I have watched...and re-watched

no one expected either of these guys to get to the semi's, let alone win the final.I agree. Minor correction, though: It was Wimbledon 2001 ;)

okdude1992
06-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Philipp Petzschner- his game is very good on grass, great slice, volleys, and can serve big.

Alexandr Dolgopolov- took Tsonga to 5 sets last year losing 10-8 in 5th. His unpredictable all court game seems well suited for grass.

These exact 5 names come to my mind as well. Although I might change out Dolgopolov for Feliciano Lopez. Dolgo has been struggling since the AO, and Feli is always tough at Wimbledon.

Sentinel
06-15-2011, 03:28 AM
Kewal ???? Who is this ??? Nevah heard of him/her.

Sentinel
06-15-2011, 03:31 AM

Petzh injured. Is he playing W ?
Lleyton may not play either, injured.

Gorecki
06-15-2011, 03:42 AM
Kewal ???? Who is this ??? Nevah heard of him/her.

tsk tsk tsk...

Kewal Kishan Singh Deol????

Sentinel
06-15-2011, 06:25 AM
^^ Haha you got me there ! Next thing you'll put their poodle's name as well. :D

stringertom
06-15-2011, 06:32 AM
^^ Haha you got me there ! Next thing you'll put their poodle's name as well. :D

You have to admit that thing on Trump's head is the perfect "floater" device.

stringertom
06-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Thursday was the supposed end of qualies for the men but none of the 16 matches were completed. Guess the draw and the final results of the qualies could be almost simultaneous if the weather holds up. Tomic hasn't started but two others that I thought might be dangerous floaters face uphill battles to move through to main draw.

BTW, one website explained players qualifying actually receive more $$$ and ranking points than straight-in first-round losers. Makes no sense, eh?

Bothsidesx2hands
06-16-2011, 02:47 PM
I think Ivan Dodig could also make a run to at least 4th round(with a good draw). I remember him take a set of Nole at the Aus this year mostly due to his big serve.

stringertom
06-16-2011, 06:18 PM
I think Ivan Dodig could also make a run to at least 4th round(with a good draw). I remember him take a set of Nole at the Aus this year mostly due to his big serve.

He certainly could pose some trouble for second-tier seeds...he has a nice run going at the Dutch grass event. Interesting that he trains in Halle on grass some of his time. Good pick! Your other four?

Tammo
06-16-2011, 06:41 PM
I will have to say Nalby is a "floater" literally:)

stringertom
06-16-2011, 08:09 PM
I will have to say Nalby is a "floater" literally:)

The photos of him in action at Boodles however were not shot with a wide-angle lens. He is looking a little more svelte after surgery to repair his hernia suffered in the Krispy Kreme parking lot.

Totai
06-16-2011, 09:07 PM
http://www.gamesprays.com/images/icons/trollface-3078_preview.jpg

Sorry guys.

Just wanted to see you react.

Problem? (10char)

Lsmkenpo
06-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Next time I will keep my mouth shut, the tournament organizers don't like Soderling, they put most of the dangerous floaters in his quarter. First round Petzschner that won't be easy.

egn
06-17-2011, 11:59 AM
BTW, one website explained players qualifying actually receive more $$$ and ranking points than straight-in first-round losers. Makes no sense, eh?

Straight in first rounders the week before can play another event and make money and earn points. Qualifiers give up that to play to qualify so for making it they get points for winning essentially a mini tournament and money for doing so because otherwise they would get nothing since most qualifiers do not go much past round 1 or 2 and they would be giving up say a smaller ATP event or a challenger or future where they could see better results and win prize money.

rovex
06-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Verdasco - 1

stringertom
06-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Straight in first rounders the week before can play another event and make money and earn points. Qualifiers give up that to play to qualify so for making it they get points for winning essentially a mini tournament and money for doing so because otherwise they would get nothing since most qualifiers do not go much past round 1 or 2 and they would be giving up say a smaller ATP event or a challenger or future where they could see better results and win prize money.

A qualie player who makes main draw receives a minimum of 11Kplus pounds and 35 ATP points, at least 3x a straight-in first-round loser. If you're a gambler, you might want to let the ranking drop, play a softer lineup, feel out conditions closer to Wimby and hunker down for the fortnight. Even 2nd round qualie losers get a nice check and points.