PDA

View Full Version : Racquet to stiff???

sk_in_ga
06-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Hey everyone - I am trying to decide on a new racquet but want to hear from all of the knowledge on these boards first. I am a 3.5-4.0 player who plays mostly from the baseline with a fairly flat stroke. I recently purchased a Youtek IG Extreme OS and it feels very stiff and boardy to me. I have it strung with Wilson Duo Tour and just do not like the feel.

So, is it not the frame but the strings and I should try new strings? Suggestions?

Is the frame known for being stiff feeling and I bought the wrong one? Again, suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Fuji
06-09-2011, 06:29 PM
If I'm thinking of the right stick, the flex is somewhere around 70, so yeah, it's going to be a stiff frame!

What I would do is try some natural gut or very soft multi at a low tension, (lowest Rec tension as a starting point), just go from there. If it is still feeling too stiff, then hate to say it, but your racket is too stiff for you!

-Fuji

sk_in_ga
06-09-2011, 06:49 PM
That is what I was afraid of. I was thinking of maybe trying out the Head Microgel Radical OS which has a much lower flex rating. I am guessing that would help a bunch, no?

rich s
06-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Hey everyone - I am trying to decide on a new racquet but want to hear from all of the knowledge on these boards first. I am a 3.5-4.0 player who plays mostly from the baseline with a fairly flat stroke. I recently purchased a Youtek IG Extreme OS and it feels very stiff and boardy to me. I have it strung with Wilson Duo Tour and just do not like the feel.

So, is it not the frame but the strings and I should try new strings? Suggestions?

Is the frame known for being stiff feeling and I bought the wrong one? Again, suggestions?

Thanks!

I've been experimenting with the same racquet.... the reason why I like it is its stiffness.....

Try multi's at mid to low tensions..... also, if you use a vibration dampener push it down so that it is closer to the frame than to the last cross..... I know it sounds nuts but I've been tuning the feel of this frame by sliding the dampener up and down until I get a feel that I like.....

Fuji
06-09-2011, 07:49 PM
That is what I was afraid of. I was thinking of maybe trying out the Head Microgel Radical OS which has a much lower flex rating. I am guessing that would help a bunch, no?

The MicroGel Radical has a very soft feel, and it's very arm friendly I find! The low flex rating, in that racket especially is very good. :)

Rich, I do the same thing btw. I move my hair ties up and down on the strings until I find the "sweet spot" of the dampener!

-Fuji

goran_ace
06-09-2011, 08:27 PM
If you're a 3.5-4.0 player with flat strokes I wonder why you went with the extreme series and a poly hybrid string. Yes, it is a stiffer frame, and poly will only make it feel stiffer and isn't going to do anything for you unless you already hit with a lot of spin. If you've already bought those rackets, don't worry about switching to a new frame just yet, first play around with softer strings (get away from poly - think synthetic gut and multi's)

thug the bunny
06-10-2011, 11:09 AM
I dunno, but my buddy has a Microgel Rad MP, and he has poly (black code?) on it, and it feels like a board to me. But then I am coming from some pretty soft player's sticks (Bab PSL and PK Redondo). I like TF X1 BP, NXT tour, and Gamma Pro - they are all soft, spinny, and have good pop (although NXT frays pretty quickly).

wao
06-10-2011, 11:19 AM

Thanks!based on your style of play and hitting fairly flat balls would also look at the Rad MP 18X19 string pattern excellent for control and it has a lower stiffness rating low 60's I believe. With that said, I played with the MG extreme and though it was rated higher in stiffness to me it didn't play that stiff. Try a softer Multi 16 gauge at mid tension and see what that plays like.