PDA

View Full Version : Why are people saying Queens is slower than Roland Garros?

Cesc Fabregas
06-10-2011, 04:36 AM
I've heard it from many commentators and posters on here, the average rally at Queens so far has been 4 shots compared to 8 at Roland Garros. Plus anyone who has watched this week has seen there have been many net appraochs, just like at Step vs Nadal match, noway would Step go to the net that much on a clay court.

Vortex Tour 95
06-10-2011, 04:54 AM
If Nadal wins then it's slower .....don't you get it ?

zagor
06-10-2011, 05:07 AM
I've heard it from many commentators and posters on here, the average rally at Queens so far has been 4 shots compared to 8 at Roland Garros. Plus anyone who has watched this week has seen there have been many net appraochs, just like at Step vs Nadal match, noway would Step go to the net that much on a clay court.

Players Cesc,players.Posters here were just repeating what players like Karlovic were saying.I think Ivo and others exaggerated to prove a point on how much slower grass is than before,I doubt it really plays slower than FO(even with faster balls).

Mustard
06-10-2011, 05:24 AM
Queen's Club is not slower than Roland Garros. That's obvious by watching the matches. The gap is narrower this year because of the contrasting weather, as well as the Babolat balls.

Bartelby
06-10-2011, 05:33 AM
The average rally might be 4 shots but with the partial exception that you mention they look like the first four shots of a clay court match with lower bounces.

Breaker
06-10-2011, 05:35 AM
It is an effort to take away from James Ward's legacy. Sad if you ask me.

batz
06-10-2011, 05:40 AM
Murray said it is the slowest grass court he's ever played on.

batz
06-10-2011, 05:41 AM
It is an effort to take away from James Ward's legacy. Sad if you ask me.

Won't make any difference to The Ward Legacy - he's still the outstanding GOAT candidate of the open era.

Sentinel
06-10-2011, 06:27 AM
Maybe Nadal has not yet been taken to five sets ? Or maybe he has not issued a statement saying that in current form he cant win Queens.

Manus Domini
06-10-2011, 06:31 AM
Because red grass is faster than green clay.