PDA

View Full Version : Switch from Wilson BLX 6.1 95 to Head Youtek Speed Pro?

macnkitty2002
06-10-2011, 06:20 AM
I've been using the Wilson BLX 6.1 95 16x18 for about a year now after having switched from the K-factor version. I like the BLX stick a lot and it really forces me to keep good form since the sweet spot is fairly small (IMO). However this makes me feel like I have to work harder to stay consistent. I used to like the more "deadened" feel of the BLX since my K-factor vibrated a lot it seemed, but now the BLX stick seems to be too dead and has lost its feel.

I have been looking around for alternatives to the BLX and came across the Head Youtek Speed Pro. It is particularly attractive now that it is on sale for about $90. People say that it is quite similar but more forgiving than the Wilson since it has a rounder head and is larger at 98in. Having read almost 20 pages of reviews it seems that people either absolutely love or absolutely hate the Speed Pro. Can anyone attest to the similarities between the two or offer me some advice as to whether I should switch or stay with my BLX?

Thank you

macnkitty2002
06-10-2011, 06:26 AM
And a little info about myself:

21 year old male 4.0 player
plays about 2 times a week
200 lbs, 6'-1", strong build
Can handle a hefty stick (12oz+)
Playstyle: fast swinging, topspin oriented, groundstroke player that tends to stay away from the net. Relies on pounding balls with deep groundstrokes in the corners to tire his opponent. Strong flat first serve and a kick second serve.
Uses Luxilon ALU power rough mains and crosses on BLX 6.1 95 16/18, doesn't tire out arms or give tennis elbow

big bang
06-10-2011, 04:09 PM
The 6.1 is a much better frame, speed pro was the worst hit I had for years seriously!. Specs are nearly perfect but it plays horrible. Been using PSC for 16 years myself. If you want a head go for YTPP or even better TGK 238.5.

movdqa
06-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Is there a possibility of a string issue with the dead feel?

-----------

What is a TGK 238.5?

macnkitty2002
06-10-2011, 05:26 PM
movdqa, strings could be the issue. Perhaps I should switch from the full Lux Big Banger setup to a hybrid. I think the full poly got a little dead once it lost its pop and mixing it with some multifilament/synthetic may be a good place to start.

big bang, from what I have read, I think I'll still give the Speed Pro a swing just to see for myself. Like I said, it seems people either hate or love the thing.

I just can't see myself not at least trying the Speed Pro at that price!

Backhanded Compliment
06-10-2011, 11:56 PM
The guy I hit with most frequently has very classic form and plays with th BLX 6.1 16x18 and strings it with cyclone 18 at 60 lbs. I never should have given him that string. It suits him well and his slice backhands are really nice with the combo.

Larrysümmers
06-11-2011, 12:03 AM
movdqa, strings could be the issue. Perhaps I should switch from the full Lux Big Banger setup to a hybrid. I think the full poly got a little dead once it lost its pop and mixing it with some multifilament/synthetic may be a good place to start.

big bang, from what I have read, I think I'll still give the Speed Pro a swing just to see for myself. Like I said, it seems people either hate or love the thing.

I just can't see myself not at least trying the Speed Pro at that price!

go ahead and buy it. its obvious that you are looking for an excuse to bring a shiny new stick to the courts :-)

macnkitty2002
06-11-2011, 05:39 AM
go ahead and buy it. its obvious that you are looking for an excuse to bring a shiny new stick to the courts :-)

Well, that's not completely true :) Since I have been playing less in my college years, I've noticed a decrease in my consistency. The slightly larger head on the Speed Pro would help me since I'm only playing about 2 times a week now compared to 5-6 when I was in my prime.

I'm definitely going to try a new string setup on my 6.1 but I'll give the Speed Pro a swing just to see how it goes.

Again, I haven't heard much in the way of people liking the Speed Pro stick. Does it just fit a very narrow player style?

DaveDe78
06-17-2011, 11:54 PM
I tried switching, I got a YT Speed Pro, and I've tried it with all different set ups and it just does't compare. Stick with the BLX, I've gone back to mine and gave away the speed pro

macnkitty2002
06-18-2011, 05:55 AM
I tried switching, I got a YT Speed Pro, and I've tried it with all different set ups and it just does't compare. Stick with the BLX, I've gone back to mine and gave away the speed pro

What did you notice was different about the Speed Pro from the BLX? How does the stiffness compare?