PDA

View Full Version : Customization tips for head light

Tmano
06-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Hi, I need some help in making my pure storn gt a bit more head light; maybe 6 PHL.
As most of you know it's a 1 PHT and weights 10.4 oz unstrung based on the TW spes. So last night I decided to mess with the specs trying to making it more head light on my own. Of course I read that adding a leather grip would help for sure but since I dind't have any I added 10g/0.35oz inside the handle but I honestly don't know if I have done the job in a proper way and I have no clue about how much I have changed the PHL.
Would you guys give some tips on how to modify the racquet to achive the 6PHL?

4sound
06-10-2011, 09:46 AM
To answer your question: you need to get a balance board to check what the head light balance is.

With that said, 2 rackets that are both 6 points HL with the same overall weight can feel totally different depending on where the weight is distributed in the racket. This is why I believe swing weight is also an important spec to understand.

fuzz nation
06-11-2011, 02:37 PM
When I've done it with a couple of my racquets, I simply put 1/4" lead tape under my grip until I got it feeling right for me. Since I don't want it to make a bump or a ridge that changes the feel of the bevels, I take care not to overlap the tape. I might place it in strips along the more narrow bevels - the ones where we place our hand for a typical eastern backhand (don't remember how to refer to them in numeric terms).

If I need to add a lot to make a more dramatic change, I can apply the tape in a "diagonal wrap" in the same way that the grip or overgrip is applied, just without the edges having any overlap. Sort of like a barber shop pole I guess.

I also like to check the balance of my racquets by balancing them on the edge of a counter or a table. I balance the racquet right on top of a tape measure running from the edge of the counter. When it balances, I can look straight down across the bottom of the butt cap to read how far the balance point is from the bottom end of the racquet.

TonyB
06-11-2011, 08:06 PM
I didn't like the information that I found on the internet regarding racquet balancing, so I derived my own equations based on racquet length, balance, and mass, and made a spreadsheet for it.

For a 10.4 oz. frame unstrung, assuming 15g added for syn gut strings, and a 1pt HL balance unstrung (approx. 2pts HH balance after stringing), you would have to add a total of 25 grams in the buttcap to achieve a 6pt HL final balance.

So, you'd have to add another 15 grams on top of the 10 grams you already have in the buttcap.

Note that swingweight will not be affected by this addition of weight, as the added weight will reside near the pivot point (the handle/grip) anyway. I calculate an increase of only 2 kg*cm^2 for the increase of 25 grams in the handle, which is unnoticeable.

Carolina Racquet
06-12-2011, 07:34 AM
I find out my balance by marking the balance point of the frame and measuring that down to the end of the racquet. In short, I replicate the balance board with a little math.

I have found the best method for making the frame more head light is to add weight in the handle. For that, I add poster tack (Blue Tak, Elmer Tak, FunTak... etc.) at the butt end of the frame. Since your frame has a trap door, this method is perfect because you don't need to replace your grip or even re-wrap your grip.

It does help to absorb some frame vibration, the material is measured by weight (not volume) and it is easily removable.

No question in my mind this is the best approach in zeroing in on the right balance and feel when making a frame more head light.

Tmano
06-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Thanks a lot guys for your suggestion above; now I got a main idea how to proceed.

If other people have different method please let me know.