PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Racquet Change - Need More Power and Less Elbow Pain

tsheehan7
06-10-2011, 08:02 AM
I've been using the Head Extreme Pro MP for the last two years, strung at 55 lbs with Prince Premier LT 16 synthetic gut. I'm a 4.0-Low type of player with moderate topsin, slice backhand, and a good kick serve.

Two issues:

Power - I feel as though I'm a pretty strong and in-shape guy, but my groundstrokes would indicate otherwise. I'm sure my technique isn't perfect, but I'm always told I have a great swing. According to TW's calculator, I might be using about the most powerful racquet out there, so I'm wondering where to go from here. I know a good carpenter never blames his tools, but is there another similarly spec'd racquet that might offer more power? I've previously played with a Yonex RQS series racquet which I found far too light and unstable at the net. I'm comfortable with the 100 sq. inch head size, but I suppose I would go a few inches more than that. The 95 sq. inch racquets I've demoed have been way out of my league in the past.

Elbow - I've recently developed terrible tennis elbow. I've been icing and doing some light concentric/eccentric excersies and it's improving, but I'm wondering if my strings or tension setting might have something to do with it.

Some racquets on my demo list are:
Head YOUTEK Prestige Midplus
Yones RDS 003
Wilson KFactor KSurge (a racquet I almost bought two years ago)
Babolate Aeropro Drive GT plus

Any advice would be much appreciated.

ssonosk
06-10-2011, 08:17 AM
it would help if you use a non stiff racquet with a low string tension.

TheOneHander
06-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Elbow - I've recently developed terrible tennis elbow. I've been icing and doing some light concentric/eccentric excersies and it's improving, but I'm wondering if my strings or tension setting might have something to do with it.

Yones RDS 003

If you're looking to avoid elbow issues, stay away from the APDGT and the KSurge. They're both fairly stiff and are not known as arm friendly frames. The Prestige won't have enough power for you, as the Extreme has tons more power by comparison. The best racquet on that list for you is the Yonex-it's flexible enough to protect your arm while providing good pop as well.

user92626
06-10-2011, 09:21 AM
the Radical Pro seems like a great candidate for you given its flex of 58, similar weight on the lighter side for customization and 100sq.

If you play and plan to develop topspin, yeah, 100sq face is the way to go.

yonexpurestorm
06-10-2011, 09:26 AM
i used to get really bad tennis elbow. demoed many rackets and strings. the main thing you need to look at is the stiffness of the racket. anything over 65 destroyed my arm. ended up using the pure storm tour. feels good on the elbow. but probably more importantly, you need to string with a multifilament. ive always liked smaller headsized and 98 was pushn it for me, so i cant really comment on anything larger.

mctennis
06-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Try some of the Volkl racquets ( review their specs) or even the PK 5G. those are very arm friendly.

Hominator
06-10-2011, 09:43 AM
I've been using the Head Extreme Pro MP for the last two years, strung at 55 lbs with Prince Premier LT 16 synthetic gut. I'm a 4.0-Low type of player with moderate topsin, slice backhand, and a good kick serve.

Two issues:

Power - I feel as though I'm a pretty strong and in-shape guy, but my groundstrokes would indicate otherwise. I'm sure my technique isn't perfect, but I'm always told I have a great swing. According to TW's calculator, I might be using about the most powerful racquet out there, so I'm wondering where to go from here. I know a good carpenter never blames his tools, but is there another similarly spec'd racquet that might offer more power? I've previously played with a Yonex RQS series racquet which I found far too light and unstable at the net. I'm comfortable with the 100 sq. inch head size, but I suppose I would go a few inches more than that. The 95 sq. inch racquets I've demoed have been way out of my league in the past.

Yones RDS 003

Before switching racquets, you may want to try natural gut strung at the lower end of the frame's tension range. That should give you more power and less elbow pain.

jk816
06-10-2011, 11:32 AM

Two issues:

Yones RDS 003

When I've found myself lacking in power, I tend to realize that I'm not moving into the ball well enough. Kinetic chain (forward weight moving, torsional core/ shoulder rotation) accounts for more power than your arm or racquet. Check to see if you are really stepping or leaning into the ball enough.

MY TE was resoved when I went to Volkl PB10 Mid; if I wanted a similar arm friendly racquet that was a bit lighter with more power from the stick itself, I'd look at a Becker London.

Good luck!

Jim

tsheehan7
06-10-2011, 01:26 PM
I demo'd a Volkl PB 7 today and have to say I was pretty impressed. At 107 sq. inches it seems enormous, but I didn't feel like it was super lacking in feel.

Some of the higher numbered 500/600 Dunlops felt nice as well. I appreciate everyone's advice and will post back with my finalists for more advice.

brownsfan456
06-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Give the Dunlop line a shot. The 300 and 500 are both fairly arm friendly sticks.

TheBoom
06-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Give the Dunlop line a shot. The 300 and 500 are both fairly arm friendly sticks.

+1 on the 300's with a dampener and soft string it is a more powerful radical with more control and decent spin

Smasher08
06-11-2011, 12:55 AM

You might also want to try the Dunlop 200 & 200 Tour, and any of the Wilson 6.1 BLX 95 series.

You might at first find them heavier than what you're used to, but the weight of a racket reduces TE risk - one of the reasons pros use heavier frames.

And if you don't find them "powerful" enough, simply drop the string tension.

fuzz nation
06-11-2011, 06:19 AM
The racquet you've got now is more or less Head's incarnation of the Pure Drive. If you're looking for more power and a happier elbow, I'd say you need to get some demos with frames that are both heavier and softer than your current option.

When you mentioned that the RQS racquet you tried was too unstable at net for you, that was quite telling for me. I do most of my business up at the net and simply can't impose my will without enough stability in my gear. Tried it... with more than one "lighter" frame... couldn't do it. I used the ProStaff 6.1 Classics for a good long time, but in more recent history I've been getting great all-court performance with the softer Volkl C10 Pro 98.

A few years ago I rebuilt my strokes and now hit a full topspin one-handed backhand. Though I've never had tennis elbow myself, there's certainly a greater likelihood of an occasional twinge in there when I hit with stiffer racquets. The Volkl is soft enough for me that I've never had arm discomfort from using it, even when strung in the low 60's with 16 gauge syn. gut.

The softer racquet is cozy for me, but it also gives me a lot more control at the baseline. Even if the response or "pop" off the string bed isn't quite so lively, I can swing away with the softer racquets and still keep the ball down on the court. Bottom line (for me): the frames with more heft as well as more flex are stable and also allow me to play with more power. There is certainly such a thing as too much racquet flex for some players, but you'll recognize that when you test drive a frame and the thing just plays like a dead fish.

Regardless of your racquet, I definitely think it's smart to stay away from stiffer string (poly or kevlar, even in a hybrid), even in an "arm-friendly" racquet. If you can sample some multifiber or even natural gut in your racquet before unloading it, I doubt that would make things any worse for you, but you may find some improvement.

Staarr
06-11-2011, 06:38 AM
I used that same Head racquet for a short time and hated it. It hurt my arm too...My TE has been helped by using arm friendly racquets and natural gut or other really soft string. Currently have PK SQ Special Ed. strung with VS Team gut and Prince EXO3 Tour Team strung with Prince Premier LT 16 (which seems to get softer after a few hours of play). The strings make the biggest difference - don't take chances hurting your arm - takes too long to heal once you get it back in shape! Good luck!

Bartelby
06-11-2011, 06:43 AM
The new vcore 95 has just been reviewed by TW and seems what you want, but wait till the other vcore reviews.

zumzool
06-11-2011, 07:18 AM
From what the others have suggested, I recommend the VCORE and the Becker London as well. They'll both be up your alley....

I would not recommend the Radical Pro or the Dunlop 4d 200 Tour. The Radical Pro while flexible, is sluggish with the high swing weight and even balance. The Dunlop 4D 200 Tour is a fantastic racquet but again you have to be strong to yield it. especially on serves.... don't know much about the biomimetic line though, and those may work...

prjacobs
06-11-2011, 07:19 AM

Respectfully, I had a different experience with the 4D 500 tour. I loved the frame but the stiffness hurt my shoulder and I had to move on.

nikkhasnis
06-14-2011, 06:35 AM
Are the Dunlop Bio 200 Lite and Bab Pure Storm Gt rackets considered to be arm friendly?

Baxter
06-15-2011, 05:44 PM
I switched to a Pro Kennex 7G because of arm pain and I've never had a problem since, and that was three years ago. A friend of mine and sometimes doubles partner followed my example and had identical results. It's relatively stiff at 66 but I love the way it plays, especially at the net. I don't know if those little BBs actually do anything, but I do know my pain went away and never came back.

mikeler
06-15-2011, 06:13 PM
I switched to a Pro Kennex 7G because of arm pain and I've never had a problem since, and that was three years ago. A friend of mine and sometimes doubles partner followed my example and had identical results. It's relatively stiff at 66 but I love the way it plays, especially at the net. I don't know if those little BBs actually do anything, but I do know my pain went away and never came back.

Does it feel stiff or are you just going by the rating?

raguhtheman
06-16-2011, 04:43 AM
I strongly suggest you demo Tecnifibre speedflex 315. Lot of power, but good on the arm due to silicone in the handle. It's 100 sq in, bit heavier than your Extreme.