PDA

View Full Version : Questions about YT Radical Pro

user92626
06-10-2011, 09:11 AM
This one is very appealing to me lately as I need a slightly heavier weight than my apdc (this one will be eternally used as the basis for comparison for me :). The one which all others will be judged against LOL).

Its strung weight is listed at 329 gr. Does that include the stock leather grip? I can't use leather. How many grams does it lose if it's replaced with, say, a Bab syntec grip?

Anyone using this YT Radical Pro with a custom grip? Does it significantly alter its true feel?

Sreeram
06-10-2011, 11:52 AM
I would expect the racquet to go even balance with ordinary grip. When you replace the leather with synthetic you lose 10 to 15 grams of weight from the handle.

user92626
06-10-2011, 03:38 PM
I would expect the racquet to go even balance with ordinary grip. When you replace the leather with synthetic you lose 10 to 15 grams of weight from the handle.

Thanks. I'd welcome that kind of grams loss and lighterness, which means closer to my current 11-11.3 rackets, and even better because the radical would be more head heavy and club-like, right?

I often wonder why players would choose a heavy racket (11.9-12.3-ish) but head light? It's low powered and all your strength goes to waste in dealing with the weight. A 11 oz with a few point head heavy would seem better to me.

li0scc0
06-11-2011, 04:12 AM
I often wonder why players would choose a heavy racket (11.9-12.3-ish) but head light? It's low powered and all your strength goes to waste in dealing with the weight. A 11 oz with a few point head heavy would seem better to me.

Heavy and head light is the best of all worlds for me.
Heavy means stable against hard incoming balls, especially at the net.
Head light means it swings easier. A 12.3 ounce head light racquet with a 330 swingweight may swing easier than an even balance 11.5 with a 345 swingweight. The 12.3 ounce racquet will be more stable at the net, as well.
On the subjective side, I hit with a western grip. When I use a more even balance, the racquet simply feels sluggish on the forehand side, even if it is lighter.

li0scc0
06-11-2011, 04:15 AM

Depends on the grips.
Typical synthetic grips weigh 13-18 grams.
Typical leather are 19-25 grams.
All weights are trimmed to the length of the handle. TW leather grips say they are around 28 grams, but they are MUCH longer than the length of the handle. After being trimmed, I find them to be 19-23 grams. I replaced a Prince synthetic with a TW leather, and it went from 18 grams (Prince synthetic) to 19 grams (TW leather), which is inconsequential.
It depends on your Babolat synthetic. Is it Syntec? Or Skin Feel? Skin Feel is one of the lightest synthetics, while Syntec is about average.

PED
06-11-2011, 06:23 AM
This one is very appealing to me lately as I need a slightly heavier weight than my apdc (this one will be eternally used as the basis for comparison for me :). The one which all others will be judged against LOL).

Its strung weight is listed at 329 gr. Does that include the stock leather grip? I can't use leather. How many grams does it lose if it's replaced with, say, a Bab syntec grip?

Anyone using this YT Radical Pro with a custom grip? Does it significantly alter its true feel?

You'll lose 6 grams going from leather to synthetic. I owned this stick for six months and did the measurements on the Head leather.

Compared to an APD, the Head has much more feel and is much more arm friendly.

However, the high SW combined with the ultra wide pattern means you'll go through strings at a much higher rate than the apd. I was going through 16g poly at 3.5 to 4 hours.

I really liked this stick but the high SW and near even balance at 2 pts HL (33.75cm) make it tough to handle against hard flat hitters who take your time away. It's tough to get that kind of SW around consistently.

I always loved the MG version which played similarly but had a 4pts hl balance instead. I'm hoping that Head will go back this route when they come out with the IG version: they've done a similar trick with the IG Extremes.

One last point, this thing is a beast on the 2hbh and off the ground in general. It hits a very high looping heavy ball by default and its easier in stock form to be consistently heavy over an APD.

I would suggest waiting and seeing what the new ones play like: it's a pretty big shift from an apd.