PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Suggestions Please

msmullin
06-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Hello,

I am a former high school player (fr & so years) returning to the game at age 40. In high school, I used a Wilson Sting Mid-size. Looking back, it was probably not quite as forgiving a racket as I should have used (too many mishits). Several years ago, I got rid of my Stings and am looking for a new racket. Here is a description of my playing style.

*Roughly 3.5, but will quickly move up to 4.0 and even 4.5.

*Can generate own pace on forehand but would like more pace on my serves.

*In HS I hit a strong two-handed minimal topspin backhand and a one-handed slice backhand for low balls.

*I am transitioning to a completely one-handed backhand (topspin & slice)

*I hit semi-western on the forehand and close to eastern on backhand.

*I serve-and-volley some and like to come in, but can hit winners from the mid-court balls, especially cross-court.

*I like to finish points at the net about half the time, using angles and drop shots.

*I like to hit a heavy ball from the baseline.

*I prefer singles, but find that at my age, many like to play doubles.

Recently, I played with a Babolat PD Lite and liked it a lot except it felt a little light and did not give extra pop on serve like I want. I did not like the Aero. The Babolat's are a little pricey and, although I never had tennis elbow, I am 40 now and heard they can be hard on the elbow. I would also like to buy something under $100 if possible, even if used or an older technology. If figure that if I start playing more often I can upgrade later.

I have had the Head Radical MS+ Liquid Metal recommended to me but am concerned about the 18x20 pattern.

I have always been partial to Wilsons and...

I am curious about the Wilson K6.2. It looks like a good all-court racket, but seems a little light.

I am wondering about the nTour Two nCode as the extra length seems like a help on giving extra serve pop. Again, it seems light.

Any input would be great.

Thanks!

esgee48
06-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Go to racquetfinder.com. Select Wilson as manufacturer. Under racquet, enter team. These are some of the lighter (~11 oz) Wilsons. Look at the KTour Team FX and the KPro Team FX, which are in your desired 16x19 pattern. Both possess lighter SW, but you can always add lead as you get better. Since these are KFactors, they are cheaper than the BLX. Demo from TW.

thug the bunny
06-10-2011, 11:32 AM
I too was a HS player and came back after 20+ years at the age of 46 four years ago. I went through the standard progression of sticks from light and powerful before settling on a group of player's sticks (Bab PSL, Wilson KPS88, and PK Redondo 93). I found that these blades really forced me to step up my ball watching and technique, plus the feel and accuracy from them is uncanny. If I had stayed with my power sticks I'm not too sure I would have progressed. Since you obviously have skills, I would start with a player's racquet. Just be patient as you develop and remember you have to use long, smooth swings. I think the Dunlop Aerogel 4D 200 is on sale...

msmullin
06-10-2011, 01:43 PM
I too was a HS player and came back after 20+ years at the age of 46 four years ago. I went through the standard progression of sticks from light and powerful before settling on a group of player's sticks (Bab PSL, Wilson KPS88, and PK Redondo 93). I found that these blades really forced me to step up my ball watching and technique, plus the feel and accuracy from them is uncanny. If I had stayed with my power sticks I'm not too sure I would have progressed. Since you obviously have skills, I would start with a player's racquet. Just be patient as you develop and remember you have to use long, smooth swings. I think the Dunlop Aerogel 4D 200 is on sale...

So you like the Pure Storm Light? What would you say distinguishes it from the PD? Is it mostly net play?

Agent Orynge
06-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Moving from 3.5 to 4.5, just like that? What's your secret?

msmullin
06-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Moving from 3.5 to 4.5, just like that? What's your secret?

No secret. I played around 4.0 to 4.5 level in HS. My 3.5 is a legit rating right now, but due to rustiness. Who knows, I may only move up to 4.0 with flashes of 4.5, but I can tell already that things things are coming back.