PDA

View Full Version : Why is Queen's not even an ATP 500 event ?

nothingfails
06-10-2011, 11:23 AM
It's one of the oldest and most prestigious tournament. It has been won by many legends. A lot of to players play it every year. It's beyond me that it's a mini mouse tournament.

jackson vile
06-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Why are there 2 HC slams, why are there 6 master HC, why is WTF played indoors on HC? etc

Tennis is anything but fair, balanced, and intelligent.

Peters
06-10-2011, 11:32 AM
I do see your point but, although it attracts the big names, it only seems to really serve as a warm-up tourney in preparation for Wimbledon. It's always had a 'knock-around' feel to it.

It's difficult with such a short grass season to make Queens much more than it is, without major restructuring of the calendar to add more weight to grass.

Plus it has a rather small seating capacity I think, and I don't know if ATP has certain requirements for higher ranking events or not.

Tammo
06-10-2011, 11:34 AM
it should be a 500 event.

HurricaneDominic
06-10-2011, 11:46 AM
I think it should be a 500 event as few people will play in Eastbourne next week, and the field is much stronger than Gerry Weber in Germany, and I don't think many people play s'Hertogenbosch either.
So we have 4 ATP 250 events in 2 weeks?
I think as it's clearly the most popular it should be ATP 500, but then again, it is a small tournament, so could it cope being a 500 event?

jackson vile
06-10-2011, 11:49 AM
I think it should be a 500 event as few people will play in Eastbourne next week, and the field is much stronger than Gerry Weber in Germany, and I don't think many people play s'Hertogenbosch either.
So we have 4 ATP 250 events in 2 weeks?
I think as it's clearly the most popular it should be ATP 500, but then again, it is a small tournament, so could it cope being a 500 event?

What do you mean by cope? LOL Will it exloped if we all of a sudden reward players more points for winning it J/K.

Good point about 4 250 events, IMO we need at least one grass tournament to be a 1000. Think about it, not one master series grass event. What a shame.

r2473
06-10-2011, 12:34 PM
It has the biggest trophy. That should be enough.

jmverdugo
06-10-2011, 12:36 PM
I see we are in this time of the year again...

8PAQ
06-10-2011, 12:43 PM
It's one of the oldest and most prestigious tournament. It has been won by many legends. A lot of to players play it every year. It's beyond me that it's a mini mouse tournament.

Federer never played it so how can you call it prestigious?

Mustard
06-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Federer never played it so how can you call it prestigious?

Federer has played Queen's Club, in 1999 against Byron Black. The match is famous for being the last time that Federer was bagelled until the 2008 French Open final.

rainingaces
06-10-2011, 12:48 PM
If lord Federer or Djokovic turned up it would automatically be a atp 500 event, Nadal and Murray just don't have the pulling power. Besides its too posh and blue, very blue.

MajinX
06-10-2011, 12:49 PM

tournaments need to register to be 500 lvl if not proposed the opportunity, this of course mean they have to pay the ATP a little bit more, but since queens is already so popular they dont need to pay for the extra status, they are confident they will get enough top players and they do.

Mustard
06-10-2011, 12:51 PM
If lord Federer or Djokovic turned up it would automatically be a atp 500 event, Nadal and Murray just don't have the pulling power. Besides its too posh and blue, very blue.

It was very red up to and including 2008. I miss the red :(

http://www.madwabbit.com/PhotoAlbum/London05/Queens/images/320tb.jpg

rainingaces
06-10-2011, 01:00 PM

I prefer that sponsors colors. I think the core reason is the closeness too French and Wimbly the atp didn't expect as good a field as it has become maybe it will be reviewed some time.

Mainad
06-10-2011, 01:16 PM

Federer never plays Queens,he always plays Halle (whenever he feels like playing,that is). Nadal and Djokovic have both played Queens lots of times.They were the 2008 finalists with Nadal winning his 1st ever grass court title.He then went on to win his first Wimbledon title a few weeks later.

I guess Queens would have to up the prize money and increase its seating capacity for it to be upgraded to a Masters or even a 500.Logically there should be at least one Grass Masters tournament on the schedule but if the ATP ever decided to give this status to one of the grass tourneys it might not necessarily go to Queens.I'm sure there would be fierce competition from Halle and the ATP might feel like compensating them for the loss of Hamburg especially as the Germans are currently the only major tennis nation without either a Slam tournament or even a Masters.

Mainad
06-10-2011, 01:20 PM

So do I. It's such a pity Stella Artois pulled out and the lovely red got replaced by Aegon with that horrible blue.It just doesn't complement the greenery of the grass half as well! :(

dirtballer
06-10-2011, 01:25 PM
I remember last year Roddick was lobbying for Queens to become a 500.

MichaelNadal
06-10-2011, 01:28 PM
The red was AMAZING at Queens, it looks absolutely great. The blue is way too harsh and modern looking.

tacou
06-10-2011, 02:40 PM
red all the way

Rhino
06-10-2011, 04:02 PM
It's not big enough, that's why.

If anything Halle should be the ATP 500 event as it has the 9th biggest tennis stadium in the world with a capacity of 12300.

Queens Club centre court only has a capacity of 6858. Even Eastbourne can fit in more people in than that!

Mustard
06-10-2011, 04:06 PM
It's not big enough, that's why.

If anything Halle should be the ATP 500 event as it has the 9th biggest tennis stadium in the world with a capacity of 12300.

Queens Club centre court only has a capacity of 6858. Even Eastbourne can fit in more people in than that!

It's that small, cosy feel that makes Queen's Club a special tournament for some of the players. Roddick has said many times over the years that Queen's Club is his favourite tournament to play.

pound cat
06-10-2011, 04:15 PM
It has the biggest trophy. That should be enough.

It's in England and that should be enough. Luminaries such as Pippa Middleton and Princes Beatrice and their party friends were there and some poeple want more points. Pfffft.

Rhino
06-10-2011, 04:15 PM
It's that small, cosy feel that makes Queen's Club a special tournament for some of the players. Roddick has said many times over the years that Queen's Club is his favourite tournament to play.

Sure, it has a cozy feel and it's played at an actual tennis club which makes it special. But I don't think it can be an ATP500 event because of it's size. There's nowhere to expand it to either, they'd have to find a new venue to make it bigger.

BTW, does Nadal actually lose on purpose at Queens? Apart from 2008, he always only ever plays 3 matches, losing to whomever he faces in the quarters (including Mahut, Tsonga, Lopez, and Hewitt).
Maybe he takes the big appearance fee, then needs some time off like Djokovic and Federer.

Mustard
06-10-2011, 04:22 PM
BTW, does Nadal actually lose on purpose at Queens? Apart from 2008, he always only ever plays 3 matches, losing to whomever he faces in the quarters (including Mahut, Tsonga, Lopez, and Hewitt).
Maybe he takes the big appearance fee, then needs some time off like Djokovic and Federer.

In 2008, the year when Nadal won Queen's Club, he was on the crest of a wave, having had his most dominant French Open win, and there was the feeling of growing anticipation of a Nadal vs. Federer showdown at Wimbledon. The momentum just kept growing and growing, and then the actual match arrived. Nadal was pumped at 2008 Queen's Club, even though he was rather tired then as well.

In the other years at Queen's Club, it has felt more a case of Nadal getting some grass-court matches under his belt before Wimbledon. I don't think Nadal tanks those matches, but he lacks energy and can't fight as hard as he normally would.

jackson vile
06-10-2011, 04:37 PM
In 2008, the year when Nadal won Queen's Club, he was on the crest of a wave, having had his most dominant French Open win, and there was the feeling of growing anticipation of a Nadal vs. Federer showdown at Wimbledon. The momentum just kept growing and growing, and then the actual match arrived. Nadal was pumped at 2008 Queen's Club, even though he was rather tired then as well.

In the other years at Queen's Club, it has felt more a case of Nadal getting some grass-court matches under his belt before Wimbledon. I don't think Nadal tanks those matches, but he lacks energy and can't fight as hard as he normally would.

Is it really too much to believe that some players aren't playing as hard as they could simple because they either don't want to or because that is not part of their "plan"?

Manus Domini
06-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Kinda ironic that Lawn Tennis' least important season [rankings wise] is on lawn grass.

mellowyellow
06-10-2011, 06:59 PM
There has been a cry for an extra week and an actual big grass tourney for too long. Time to make the surface legit or get rid of it. Their are no real S&V players so why have a surface for it? S&V is not rewarded in any way now and the grass season too short for anyone to dedicate to making a run. It seems to be a layover from the clay and people just taking it easy till the HC season.

Gizo
06-11-2011, 05:34 AM
In an idea world both Queen's and Halle would be 500 events.

However of course the Queen's tournament directors must be delighted that their tournament is only a 250 event and not a 500 one. Because of its location and place in the calendar, it attracts stronger fields that most of the 500 events. However it can offer lower prize money and doesn't have to meet as many ATP tournament and facility requirements than 500 events.

Definately a win-win scenario for the tournament.

sunnyIce
06-11-2011, 06:45 AM
its all abt the $$$
cincinnati has some of the smallest facilities arnd. and not at all easy to get to.

Fee
06-12-2011, 10:48 PM
I've never seen a thread like this before on this forum.

zapvor
06-12-2011, 10:55 PM
lol

i do think a longer grass season will make a more interesting battle for rankings