PDA

View Full Version : OOOP. damnit im so stupid

FREDDY
06-28-2005, 11:52 AM
i was messing with my unstrung racket. the top part where the gaurd is. the very very very top. i pulled it out. i dont know how to put it back in. it wont go in right. HELP!!!! im scared. ithink i broke it. or not it just wont go back in, does anyone know how to fix it???

thejackal
06-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Its called a headguard, use an AWL to put it in. Bring it to a stringer, he'll get it fixed. The reason I know this? I did that myself about 3 days ago, cept I fixed it myself.

Gaines Hillix
06-28-2005, 01:08 PM
As thejackal said. However, if the racquet has been strung before you many not be able to get the old bumper guard to go back in because the grommet tubes become flaired. It can still be repaired but a new bumper guard will have to be installed. Any pro shop should be able to do that assuming the racquet is not too old and the grommets are still available.

raftermania
06-28-2005, 01:35 PM
FREDDY, you gotta stop putting yourself down!

antontd
06-28-2005, 01:51 PM
start with the center then one by one put the rest back in. it's easy.

FREDDY
06-28-2005, 07:34 PM
man.... it is used. a few of the grommets are flared. ive tried to put it back in and only the first few can go in and the others will go in all crooked and stuff.

FREDDY
06-28-2005, 07:35 PM
Its called a headguard, use an AWL to put it in. Bring it to a stringer, he'll get it fixed. The reason I know this? I did that myself about 3 days ago, cept I fixed it myself.

whats an awl????

FREDDY
06-28-2005, 07:35 PM
man my stringer is gonna look at me like WTF!!?

Kirko
06-28-2005, 07:42 PM
you're okay they do stuff like that all the time.

krnboijunsung
06-28-2005, 07:46 PM
you must have been very bored to be messing with an unstrung racquet

MTChong
06-28-2005, 09:51 PM
If you have trouble getting them back in, try heating them up with a heat gun to make them more malleable to fit them in.

Tennis Ball Hitter
06-28-2005, 10:57 PM
I did this not long ago as well. I wanted to see the conidtion of the LM prestige without the guard.

If you don't have an AWL, chances are you don't. get a paper clip or some string straight bit of metal that will fit through the grommet and stick out enough to get leverage. Use that to guide each grommet back in. Shouldn't be too hard, the annoying ones are the string tie off holes. You will need to persist, or you could just pay for a new bumper guard. Its like $5 in America. When I asked here in Australia, for an older racquet, they said it cost $25.

diredesire
06-28-2005, 11:28 PM
If you have trouble getting them back in, try heating them up with a heat gun to make them more malleable to fit them in.
bingo. If you don't have a heatgun, microwave them for a few seconds (i'd say 35 is probably cutting it close), this'll help them become a little more flexy to help get them in the holes. If you don't have an awl (stringer's tool, basically a long, thin piece of metal, sharp, but not to the point of cutting).
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-AWL.html
This is what an awl looks like.

Since tennis grommets (like gaines said) become flared, and bend (at the throat area, upwards, to accomodate main strings) you might have a hard time getting them back in. Personally, i'd just let a pro do it if you aren't experienced, as messing with them can leave sharp edges, and it might break a few sets of strings, if you are the stringer, then you're in for a ride, my friend ;)

I take some needle nose pliers and GENTLY squish the flaired grommets back down as much as possible (flattening them out is NOT good). If you get them down ok, you can try putting a little bit of tape on the end of them, and rolling it into a tube, stick this tube through (the assistance of an awl will help), and then pull the tube of tape, attached to the grommets, through the frame. Personally, i strongly suggest just taking it into the pro shop. I'm sure they've seen it before... and if not, they won't give you too hard of a time about it.

Cliffs notes: Warm them up a little to give you a little "give"/stretch, bend them back into shape, use an awl.