PDA

View Full Version : How crazy would it be if Federer won Wimbledon 2011?

ledwix
06-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Nadal would tie Borg's French Open record, and Federer would tie Sampras's Wimbledon record in a period of a month. That would be insane as far as great sports narratives go.

TMF
06-10-2011, 04:03 PM
He does have a good chance despite being an underdog behind rafa.

sonicare
06-10-2011, 04:11 PM
He does have a good chance despite being an underdog behind rafa.

lets hope tsonga is not in rafas half

flyinghippos101
06-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Not really, Fed is still up there as one of the top contenders. Granted he's behind Rafa and just slighty above Novak. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Fed found a way to win Wimbledon; then again, I also wouldn't be surprised if he crashed out again.

MethodTennis
06-10-2011, 04:14 PM
On TOGSOC it would probably be a 3 out of ten (the offical gunnd scale of craziness)

TennisFan3
06-10-2011, 04:17 PM
LOL... Fed's the favorite at Wimbledon.

It would be crazy if he DID NOT win.

genius24
06-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Nadal would tie Borg's French Open record, and Federer would tie Sampras's Wimbledon record in a period of a month. That would be insane as far as great sports narratives go.

would be great for tennis imo....im def rooting for him

TMF
06-10-2011, 04:29 PM
lets hope tsonga is not in rafas half

I know what you mean, but the previous meeting they played on grass doesn't say anything when they be on Center Court.

icedevil0289
06-10-2011, 04:45 PM

I don't think it would be crazy if he didn't win, as he crashed out last year in the QFs, but it also wouldn't be crazy if he won it either. I think him and nadal are both favorites, I'd still place nadal slightly above fed.

Mustard
06-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Not that crazy.

How crazy would it be if James Ward won 2011 Wimbledon? :razz:

stringertom
06-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Arnold Palmer used to win Masters' jackets in even years ('60, '62, '64). Fed Wimby '07, '09.... I'm thinking sevens and seventeens in eleven.

TMF
06-10-2011, 04:55 PM

And Nadal is the dark horse according to you(what's new).

TMF
06-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Not that crazy.

I know you all rafa fans like to play this game....Rafa is never the favorite. We now.

Hood_Man
06-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Not that crazy.

Oh no, it definitely won't happen now you've jynxed it!

;)

I'd love to see Federer win, and I'd love it to be in a 5 set Fedal final. I can't believe it's been almost 4 years since Federer last beat Nadal at a major :shock:

Telepatic
06-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Imo, Fed is favourite for Wimbledon, nothing crazy about it.

I think currently on surface such as grass, only Rafa can fight with him and maybe hot Berdych.

Tammo
06-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Did vortex user 95 get banned?

tennis_pro
06-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Oh no, it definitely won't happen now you've jynxed it!

;)

I'd love to see Federer win, and I'd love it to be in a 5 set Fedal final. I can't believe it's been 7 years since Federer last beat Nadal at a major :shock:

Dude it's not even 4 years...Wimbledon 2007 is the most recent.

Feels like 7 years, though:)

Hood_Man
06-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Dude it's not even 4 years...Wimbledon 2007 is the most recent.

Yeah I fixed it, I don't know why I typed 7 :-?

[EDIT]

I must have had the year 2007 on my mind and confused myself :lol:

tennis_pro
06-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Yeah I fixed it, I don't know why I typed 7 :-?

[EDIT]

I must have had the year 2007 on my mind and confused myself :lol:

Yay!

I have to say, winning Wimbledon in 2011 would be huge, for me he could go 0-10 in matches for the rest of the year if he could pull this one tournament victory off

Sid_Vicious
06-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Federer is probably gonna get bounced at the start of the second week, at which time Nadal is gonna be rolling over everyone for the title because the baseline "will be clay"

roundiesee
06-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Won't be surprising :) I think Roger is playing well enough to win, but he probably would need a good draw to help him ;)

Tammo
06-10-2011, 05:30 PM
You never know with Federer. Maybe the coin toss determines how he plays that day?

I would put Fed about 5th. Others like Nadal, Djokovic I would put higher. Guys like Tsonga could make a big run with a good draw.

mellowyellow
06-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Federer is probably gonna get bounced at the start of the second week, at which time Nadal is gonna be rolling over everyone for the title because the baseline "will be clay"

Try the second round, after all the bs exo gets played in the lead up.........

stringertom
06-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Try the second round, after all the bs exo gets played in the lead up.........
Our intelligent buddy from FordStan is rubbing off on you, yellow. Care to predict who will take him out that early?

ledwix
06-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Yay!

I have to say, winning Wimbledon in 2011 would be huge, for me he could go 0-10 in matches for the rest of the year if he could pull this one tournament victory off

Yeah, honestly he could retire after that. Coming back and winning a major for the 9th straight year in Sampras-like fashion while at the same time tying Sampras would just be icing for his career.

LeoMOMO
06-10-2011, 11:07 PM
I won't be surprised even if Roger win the Wimbledon. He definitely has a big chance.
I guess Roger and Rafa have equal chance.

However, then what happens here? :roll:

Yeah, honestly he could retire after that. Coming back and winning a major for the 9th straight year in Sampras-like fashion while at the same time tying Sampras would just be icing for his career.

Roger clearly wouldn't retire.
He must have an ambition to want to participate in London Olympics.

zagor
06-11-2011, 04:00 AM
Our intelligent buddy from FordStan is rubbing off on you, yellow. Care to predict who will take him out that early?

Alejandro Falla? Was terribly close last year.

ledwix
06-11-2011, 04:03 AM
Roger clearly wouldn't retire.
He must have an ambition to want to participate in London Olympics.

Yeah, he would obviously not retire, but as a fan, I wouldn't mind him retiring on his 17th slam win.

TennisBatman
06-11-2011, 04:15 AM
It would be amazing...Nike should design a new jacket for Federer that beats all previous versions, just to make sure he is picture-perfect at the trophy presentation!

zagor
06-11-2011, 04:18 AM
It would be amazing...Nike should design a new jacket for Federer that beats all previous versions, just to make sure he is picture-perfect at the trophy presentation!

Number 17 etched on it of course.

Tony48
06-11-2011, 04:25 AM
It would be so crazy that I would roll my eyes.

jackson vile
06-11-2011, 05:00 AM

Right because it will be "clay", not like he can actually win fast grass titles or anything LOL

I find it strange that you are so pessimistic about Federer's chances at Wim. I would wager that Federer is going to win this year. He has been working harder than ever and using smarter tactics than ever.

Speranza
06-11-2011, 05:28 AM
Right because it will be "clay", not like he can actually win fast grass titles or anything LOL

I find it strange that you are so pessimistic about Federer's chances at Wim. I would wager that Federer is going to win this year. He has been working harder than ever and using smarter tactics than ever.

Holmes: He's won Queens before (fast grass), but his Wimbledon titles have not been won on fast grass courts. He hasn't played Federer on a fast grass court.

I'd love for Roger to make it 7 titles, but he'll always have the pressure on him at Wimbledon due to his past there. Even if he isn't seeded one or two for it, the pressure will be there. We all know how his mental game is against certain players, so if he gets to the final and the grass is worn down as expected, he'll have problems with whomever he meets.

Allez Roger!

stringertom
06-11-2011, 06:00 AM
Alejandro Falla? Was terribly close last year.

Two points:
1. "Close" is only good in horseshoes & hand grenades.

2. A slightly upgraded game, thanks in part to Annacone influence, makes the Colombian kryptonite less lethal. Since PA: two semis & one major final plus a WTF championship.

Care to guess again?

I'd take Kendrick over Rafa b4 Falla over Fed, if Kendrick makes Wimby draw.

zagor
06-11-2011, 06:05 AM
Two points:
1. "Close" is only good in horseshoes & hand grenades.

2. A slightly upgraded game, thanks in part to Annacone influence, makes the Colombian kryptonite less lethal. Since PA: two semis & one major final plus a WTF championship.

Care to guess again?

I'd take Kendrick over Rafa b4 Falla over Fed, if Kendrick makes Wimby draw.

Kendrick! I forgot all about that guy,great game to watch,goes for 2nd serve aces at times a la Pete if I remember well,he had Murray in quite a bit of trouble as well in 2009.

So you reckon Roger's taking #7,tying Sampras? If anywhere Paul's influence should work it should be at Wimbledon,slower grass true but still allows for attacking tennis to triumph.

borg number one
06-11-2011, 06:17 AM
There are some real question marks, but I have to go with Nadal as the favorite. I tend to think that the first week could be the toughest for him, when the grass is a bit faster and he hasn't fine tuned his grass court game as much. He seems to find his groove there in the second week especially. As for Federer, he seems much more inconsistent now, in that he's up and down. Yet, I would not put it past him to win another W title. I think he could do it, but I tend to think he'll have to avoid Nadal in the final to get it done. If he is playing say Djokovic, Murray, or Roddick I like his chances in those possible matches. We'll see how the big servers fare, especially dangerous players like Berdych and Soderling. I don't think Raonic will be a serious threat there just yet. I think he needs a couple of more years under his belt, but we'll see.

Omega_7000
06-11-2011, 06:27 AM
I have a feeling Federer is going to come back stronger and regain his Wimbledon title. I also think he is looking good enough to take out Nadal on grass. I just hope Nadal & Federer are in the same half!

zagor
06-11-2011, 06:28 AM
I have a feeling Federer is going to come back stronger and regain his Wimbledon title. I also think he is looking good enough to take out Nadal on grass. I just hope Nadal & Federer are in the same half!

You think it would be easier for Fed to take out Nadal in SF than in the F? Could be,if Fed happens to beat Nadal in SF he's gonna feel so confident that it's gonna be very tough to beat him in the final no matter who's on the other side of the net.

Omega_7000
06-11-2011, 06:34 AM
You think it would be easier for Fed to take out Nadal in SF than in the F? Could be,if Fed happens to beat Nadal in SF he's gonna feel so confident that it's gonna be very tough to beat him in the final no matter who's on the other side of the net.

Pressure is a major factor in finals with Nadal on the other side of the net. He will play more freely in a SF.

There are a lot of unknowns at this point about Djokovic's grass game at this point. You're probably right though...With a win over Nadal his confidence will be sky-high.

stringertom
06-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Kendrick! I forgot all about that guy,great game to watch,goes for 2nd serve aces at times a la Pete if I remember well,he had Murray in quite a bit of trouble as well in 2009.

So you reckon Roger's taking #7,tying Sampras? If anywhere Paul's influence should work it should be at Wimbledon,slower grass true but still allows for attacking tennis to triumph.

Rafa was in deep doo-doo (clawing at his backside) early on vs. Kendrick in '07(?). This was, of course when Nads was young and his grass-court skills were undeveloped. He possibly was suffering from a leg injury and also had eaten bad pizza the night before. The hotel bed was a bit lumpy so he had shoulder tightness. All these things conspired to push his Mallorcan Highness to the brink but he miraculously escaped with absolutely no coaching from Tio Tony because he fights for every point like you are taking tapas $$$ from his piggybank. He is, of course, the greatest of all 10-time major winners. Those above him on the list only won their majors because he wasn't around or hadn't found his game on their favorite surfaces, or the balls were too fast, or the season is too long..........

Yes, IMO, 7's & 17's sound good in '11. A great way to exit his 20's, eh?

Mustard
06-11-2011, 06:41 AM
The Nadal vs. Kendrick match when Nadal came back to win from 2 sets down was at 2006 Wimbledon.

zagor
06-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Rafa was in deep doo-doo (clawing at his backside) early on vs. Kendrick in '07(?). This was, of course when Nads was young and his grass-court skills were undeveloped. He possibly was suffering from a leg injury and also had eaten bad pizza the night before. The hotel bed was a bit lumpy so he had shoulder tightness. All these things conspired to push his Mallorcan Highness to the brink but he miraculously escaped with absolutely no coaching from Tio Tony because he fights for every point like you are taking tapas $$$ from his piggybank. He is, of course, the greatest of all 10-time major winners. Those above him on the list only won their majors because he wasn't around or hadn't found his game on their favorite surfaces, or the balls were too fast, or the season is too long..........

:)

Yes, IMO, 7's & 17's sound good in '11. A great way to exit his 20's, eh?

Can't think of any better way,hopefully our dear Swiss vet does it.Wimbledon is what it's all about for Fed,like for Pete before him every year he wins a Wimbledon is a great year,it's a holy grail of tennis.

zagor
06-11-2011, 06:45 AM
The Nadal vs. Kendrick match when Nadal came back to win from 2 sets down was at 2006 Wimbledon.

Yeah it was,in 2007 he came back 2 sets down against Youzhny.

LeoMOMO
06-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Yeah, he would obviously not retire, but as a fan, I wouldn't mind him retiring on his 17th slam win.

I could understand that your feelings.
Although it would be the sad moment as one of tennis fans. :cry:

stringertom
06-11-2011, 08:07 AM

You are a veritable fountain of accurate data, my friend. I enclosed the "?" mark in my statement due to my early-onset Alzheimer's brought on by a severe reaction to the tardism so prevalent in these pages. Thank you for being there to bring me back to reality. Now where did I leave my car keys?

Sid_Vicious
06-11-2011, 01:05 PM

Nadal himself said that about wimbledon last year. Get with the times, Jackson. LOL!

Besides I was jking in that post. I think Fed has good chance at wimbledon.

==Q. How are the courts playing? There's been no rain at all. How are the courts playing?
RAFAEL NADAL: Perfect.
Q. Perfect?
RAFAEL NADAL: Is dry.
Q. Just your conditions?
RAFAEL NADAL: Lot of CLAY behind the baseline (smiling.) You can move well, so... Perfect conditions.=

Nadalfan89
06-11-2011, 01:44 PM
It would be very crazy considering Fed hasn't come close to even winning a tournament this year.

It's rather boring, really. Nadal is going to steamroll to the trophy ceremony once again and then TT will cry for a month and then hard court season will come along and people will swear Nadal will lose early, and then Nadal will go far in the USO again and then people will cry some more.

It's cyclical.

Legend of Borg
06-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Not as crazy as those tweener winners I just hit at my local club.

Mad shizzle was going down, but I forgot to make a highlight reel.

jackson vile
06-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Not as crazy as those tweener winners I just hit at my local club.

Mad shizzle was going down, but I forgot to make a highlight reel.

Start a new post, everyone post your tweeners. Even the little guys LOL

tennis_pro
06-11-2011, 02:00 PM
It would be very crazy considering Fed hasn't come close to even winning a tournament this year.

It's rather boring, really. Nadal is going to steamroll to the trophy ceremony once again and then TT will cry for a month and then hard court season will come along and people will swear Nadal will lose early, and then Nadal will go far in the USO again and then people will cry some more.

It's cyclical.

Not the "watch out Nadal is going to win everything for the next 10 years" mentality again. Haven't you learned like nadal slam king yet?

It might also turn out this way: "Nadal will lose in the first week of a Slam because of an injury and then Nadal fans will cry that he lost again because of injury and Federer or whoever wins the tournament got lucky because he didn't have to beat Nadal. Is that right?

Pwned
06-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Not that crazy considering he is the second favorite.

Legend of Borg
06-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Not the "watch out Nadal is going to win everything for the next 10 years" mentality again. Haven't you learned like nadal slam king yet?

It might also turn out this way: "Nadal will lose in the first week of a Slam because of an injury and then Nadal fans will cry that he lost again because of injury and Federer or whoever wins the tournament got lucky because he didn't have to beat Nadal. Is that right?

lol

I can easily see their mentality translating to different eras.

"Borg was lucky that Rafa wasn't in the final of those RG and Wimby finals."

"Petros was lucky that Rafa wasn't peaking in the 90's, or else he wouldn't have won a single Wimby."

"Laver was lucky that Rafa......."

etc.

nikdom
06-11-2011, 02:11 PM
I don't see Roger beating Nadal to win Wimby. Roger has some serious head issues now against Nadal apart from the tactical matchup issues. When was the last time Roger beat Nadal in a best-of-5 anyway?

If Nadal is eliminated from the tournament by someone else, then there may be a possibility.

timnz
06-11-2011, 02:18 PM

Why do you hope they are in the same half? I'd like to see them in the final

Lotto
06-11-2011, 02:19 PM
It would be absolutely brilliant for the game....could you imagine the build up and tension and excitement at The Open then?

Rafael Nadal....French Open Champion and Defending Champion....

Novak Djokovic...Australian Open Champion and the man with the streak...

Roger Federer...Wimbledon Champion and the man looking to regain his crown...

Would be unbelievable...and then of course you have the guys who are just under those three at this current in time in terms of winning it....Murray..Del Potro... would just be immense!

Bud
06-11-2011, 02:34 PM
It's not crazy at all :)

IMO, Federer is the favorite to win in 2011, Nadal is the underdog ;)

Would love to see Federer once again knock out Djokovic in a tension-filled SF grudge match... and then experience another 5-set final between Nadal and Federer.

Heracles
06-11-2011, 02:38 PM
It's not crazy.

Federer displayed the level of a potential Wimbledon winner at Roland Garros. And he already won the tournament a lot of times.

His results were bad in the first half of the season but in slams he showed up. Nadal is following the same path, showing up mostly in slams. And Nadal is playing great at Wimbledon too.

tennis_pro
06-11-2011, 03:03 PM
It's not crazy at all :)

IMO, Federer is the favorite to win in 2011, Nadal is the underdog ;)

Would love to see Federer once again knock out Djokovic in a tension-filled SF grudge match... and then experience another 5-set final between Nadal and Federer.

Lol. You could've easily said: "would love to see Federer once again knock out Djokovic in a tough semi-final so Nadal doesn't have to worry about the outcome of the final" but you didn't! Keep it up!

powerangle
06-11-2011, 07:36 PM
It would be crazy in that Fed has/had been written off as washed up (earlier this year) and is "old" blah blah. Federer hasn't won a slam in a long time (for his lofty standards).

It wouldn't be crazy in that Fed is still one of the favorites for the title.

kishnabe
06-11-2011, 08:32 PM
It would be crazy if Murray won Wimbledon 2011 not Federer. Heck if Murray beats Nadal and Federer on the way to the title....I would see my eyes pop out!

ledwix
06-11-2011, 08:35 PM
I would see my eyes pop out!

That sounds impossible.

powerangle
06-11-2011, 08:44 PM
That sounds impossible.

You can with a mirror. And some people have a condition where their eyes naturally bulge out due to exophthalmos, usually associated with Graves disease. Ok maybe not exactly eyes popping out, but they can bulge way out...so I took some creative liberty ;) (sorry, optometry student here lol)

Qubax
06-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Wimbeldon is simple:

30% Federer
30% Nadal
30% Djokovic
10% The Field(Some combo of Murray, Roddick, Del Po, Soderling, Berdych)

TennisFan3
06-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Not that crazy considering he is the second favorite.

I just don't understand this. Look at the form of Fed, Nadal, DJokovic and Murray. Nadal was shaky in the F.O final, and couldn't hold to save his life. Last time I saw his serve ok was in WTF 2010 - his serve has been trash all year. Everyone and their brother is breaking him. He can survive on clay, but on grass it's a different story (as we saw in Queens). Had the F.O final been on grass, Fed would have probably won in straights.

W.r.t history I put Fed, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray in that order as the Wimb contenders.

W.r.t form, however, Nadal is probably the 3rd or 4th favorite. So if Fed wins, it will be expected. If Nadal wins, that would be crazy, coz it's pretty plain that with the F.O level, he will have a hard time getting to the Wimb SF even...

Speranza
06-12-2011, 01:07 AM
I just don't understand this. Look at the form of Fed, Nadal, DJokovic and Murray. Nadal was shaky in the F.O final, and couldn't hold to save his life. Last time I saw his serve ok was in WTF 2010 - his serve has been trash all year. Everyone and their brother is breaking him. He can survive on clay, but on grass it's a different story (as we saw in Queens). Had the F.O final been on grass, Fed would have probably won in straights.

W.r.t history I put Fed, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray in that order as the Wimb contenders.

W.r.t form, however, Nadal is probably the 3rd or 4th favorite. So if Fed wins, it will be expected. If Nadal wins, that would be crazy, coz it's pretty plain that with the F.O level, he will have a hard time getting to the Wimb SF even...

Watson: Although 99% of the time I agree with your posts TennisFan3, I might argue with you a touch on this one. Ralph's serve is more effective on grass due to the lefty spin out wide. If his consistency returns on grass, it will be effective, regardless of down and out speed. Well, IMO at least ;)

TennisFan3
06-12-2011, 01:17 AM
Watson: Although 99% of the time I agree with your posts TennisFan3, I might argue with you a touch on this one. Ralph's serve is more effective on grass due to the lefty spin out wide. If his consistency returns on grass, it will be effective, regardless of down and out speed. Well, IMO at least ;)

I agree. On grass Ralph's serve takes a life of it's own. But Mr. Nadal has not been serving well all through this year. The last time he served consistently was in WTF 2010. His serve right from AO has been sub-par (and this has little to do with Noel).

A very under-appreciated part of Ralph's game last summer, was how difficult it was to break him. This year it's totally different. Eurosport commentators were saying that Nadal's gifted service breaks give hope to his opponent give the locker room a lot of hope. You only need to wait and stay in the match. There's every chance Ralph will choke while serving for the set or match.

As goes your serve, so goes you game is not a cliche. It's actually true.

All that said. I'm super impressed by the way Fed is playing. Honestly, I didn't expect him to play like this nearing 30. If he brings his F.O level to Wimbledon, the only guy who could stop him is a Nadal playing at the peak of his powers.

You've gotta admire what Roger is doing. He's stayed put with 3 generations of players including the current big 4 (all of who are 5 yrs younger to him). And even now it was Fed, who beat the seemingly unbeatable Djokovic. I don't know about other, but IMO breaking the streak was a great achievement by Fed. I can't imagine anyone doing so on that day. So credit, where it's due..

Speranza
06-12-2011, 01:35 AM
I agree. On grass Ralph's serve takes a life of it's own. But Mr. Nadal has not been serving well all through this year. The last time he served consistently was in WTF 2010. His serve right from AO has been sub-par (and this has little to do with Noel).

A very under-appreciated part of Ralph's game last summer, was how difficult it was to break him. This year it's totally different. Eurosport commentators were saying that Nadal's gifted service breaks give hope to his opponent give the locker room a lot of hope. You only need to wait and stay in the match. There's every chance Ralph will choke while serving for the set or match.

As goes your serve, so goes you game is not a cliche. It's actually true.

All that said. I'm super impressed by the way Fed is playing. Honestly, I didn't expect him to play like this nearing 30. If he brings his F.O level to Wimbledon, the only guy who could stop him is a Nadal playing at the peak of his powers.

You've gotta admire what Roger is doing. He's stayed put with 3 generations of players including the current big 4 (all of who are 5 yrs younger to him). And even now it was Fed, who beat the seemingly unbeatable Djokovic. I don't know about other, but IMO breaking the streak was a great achievement by Fed. I can't imagine anyone doing so on that day. So credit, where it's due..

Watson: Good points raised. As mentioned, if his consistency returns, he'll be hard to break. But it does indeed look like it's taking a downward turn.

I sincerely hope Federer DOES bring his FO level to the hallowed turf of south west London, for if you like him or not, it will make for another great Wimbledon.