PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a new string

bfonz7
02-24-2004, 08:11 AM
Looking around on the TW website, i can't find anything that looks appealing. most of the feedbacks both praise and criticize each string so im pretty skepical of who to trust most.

I string my own racquets so durability isnt a deciding factor.
I dont need something that creates power, i can do that on my own with my swing. I have a semi-western forehand and a one handed backhand, and i spin most of my serves.

I'm looking for some recommendations for string sets that players have had pleasureable experiences with at about $8 or less.

College player on a college budget, lol

Steve Huff
02-24-2004, 09:20 AM
2 of the best playing strings I've tried for the money are Gosen Bio Power ($4.99) and Alpha Gut 2000 (about the same). Both have a soft feel. a little more power than your regular synthetics, and fall in your price range. But, if you string quite a bit, I'd go for a reel of Gosen OG Micro 17 ($30) and a few sets of Bow Brand Championship Gut 16L or 17 ($17.99), hybrid them with the gut in the mains, OG Micro in the crosses at about 3# less tension, and get a really great experience for about $10.50/stringjob.

postal
02-24-2004, 11:18 AM
There are three strings that might work for you. The Alpha Gut 2000 and Klip Scorcher are both good quality strings at a great price but they do not have the best durability. The third string is the Klip Blast. It is a poly/syn gut hybrid that has good durability and the playability is really great. All three fit in your budget.

bruce nissenbaum
02-24-2004, 04:23 PM
For your consideration:

16g - Gosen JC, Gosen BioGut Power, Ektelon Power Play and Prince Original (no duraflex) Syn Gut.

17g - Gosen JC, POSG.

Though I would prefer the above, Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16 and 17 are certainly worth a try.

bfonz7
02-24-2004, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys for the input, im putting together an order now of POSG and Alhpa 2000!

Radical Shot
02-25-2004, 06:15 PM
How often do you break strings? Cheap strings may appeal financially, but have you considered that a more expensive string may provide much better playability and last longer?

I have definately found anything in the Luxilon range to fit this scenario. Sure, they cost a bit more, but the durability and the playability more than make up for it. I have SAVED money and IMPROVED my game by using Luxilon.

Busting a few $5 strings = 1 set of good Lux ALU.

I don't work for Luxilon :-)
________
hot box vaporizers (http://hotboxvaporizers.com)

tarheelbornjohn
02-26-2004, 10:08 AM
I have also found that I save money using the Lex BB Ace or ALU power. Prince, Wilson, and Head strings can break within first two or three sets. Wilson the worst for me. NXT cost too much with the frequent breaks. Gama xp frays up to much for me, although lasts longer. I get very long play with the Lux ALU. Easily two to three times more play. It really helps me with control. 4.5 player using PS 6.1 stretch.