PDA

View Full Version : Is Soderling overrated?

Heracles
06-11-2011, 02:27 PM
His carreer statistics:

Total : 9 titles in single, 10 runner up.

In MS: 1 MS won, 2 other SF

In slams: 2 times runners up and 4 QF : beat 1 time Federer and Nadal in slams but lost 5 times against each in slam too.

Carreer winning percentage: 64%

Playing style:

Big serve, can reach 235km/h but lack variety and is not an ace record breaking. Still a good weapon.

Big forehand, and big backhand with flat shots. His backhand can be very errors prone and is a low percentage shot. Both of his shots need preparation to be fully effective. His groundstrokes are good but not the best.

His voleys are ok, but not more and his touch is just average. His slice is bad. His movement is average, he is quite slow and his defense is not outstanding. He can be moved around and at his point he either lose the point or either go for the broke with his big shots.

His mental strenght is good and explain a lot his results.

When I read that again I say that Soderling is a top 10 and that he has a little overachieved by reaching the top 5 and even the top 4 at a moment.

His game is not enough to win a slam and his hype has gone too far because of one fluke result (his victory over Nadal, canceled by Nadal easily beating him in following editions). Some even predicted he could reach number one after he finally beat Federer for the first time in 17 matchs.

He is currently ranked five because some other players are not performing or have issues. Personnally I think that Del Potro and Davydenko are both superiors and that Roddick or Berdych could be ranked higher if they finally get their problems out of the equation. Him and Tsonga have around the same potential.

Typically he is a top 8-9 player who can reach QF and occasionnally SF.

Bud
06-11-2011, 02:32 PM
He's a solid top 10 player. No more, no less.

jamesblakefan#1
06-11-2011, 02:38 PM
He is currently ranked five because some other players are not performing or have issues. Personnally I think that Del Potro and Davydenko are both superiors and that Roddick or Berdych could be ranked higher if they finally get their problems out of the equation. Him and Tsonga have around the same potential.

Roddick and Davydenko are both on the natural downslopes of their careers and are not better than Soderling at this stage. Delpo you have a point, but I still think Sod is a legitimate top 5-6 player even if Delpo was healthy. Berdych is a streaky player. Sod is too, but a bit more consistent than Berdych, particularly at the slams. He's ranked where he should be, and deserves the praise he gets for being capable of beating some of the best, as he's shown in the past. Outside of Delpo there isn't anyone I'd say that would be ranked ahead of him all things being equal.

He's not in the same league as Djoker, Fed, Nadal, Murray, but he's a notch below them and capable of beating those guys if his game is clicking.

kishnabe
06-11-2011, 04:54 PM
He is only overated by Cesc ***rebas....otherwise he deserves his glory. Murray and Djokovic haven't beat both Fedal in a slam....but they will likely. For a power baseline style player to beat both is an accomplisment.

brownsfan456
06-11-2011, 05:05 PM
I think the way the league is, with the top 4 being far ahead of the rest, this is bound to happen. If you ask me, Ferrer is better than Soderling and Melzer is seriously underrated.

NadalAgassi
06-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I think he has already peaked but he is definitely still top 7 caliber for now. I think if Del Potro can stay healthy Soderling will probably end the year ranked #7 overall behind Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, Ferrer, and Del Potro. After that he will drop further though.

brownsfan456
06-11-2011, 05:34 PM
I think he has already peaked but he is definitely still top 7 caliber for now. I think if Del Potro can stay healthy Soderling will probably end the year ranked #7 overall behind Djokovic, Nadal, Murray, Ferrer, and Del Potro. After that he will drop further though.

Del Potro is good, but I don't think he'll jump that much by the years end.

NadalAgassi
06-11-2011, 06:30 PM
If Del Potro stays healthy and gets some decent draws until Roland Garros (two big ifs I know) IMO he should pass Soderling by the end of the year. He is the better player IMO, and like I said also I think Soderling has already peaked. He isnt the threat to the very top or to win a big title as he was in 2009 and 2010 anymore.

I also expect Ferrer to end the year ranked above Soderling. I know Soderling with his game should be more dangerous. However Ferrer seems more consistent right now than Soderling, and Soderling doesnt seem anymore able than Ferrer to beat the top players on any surface right now either.

Tammo
06-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Will probably stay in the top 10 for three more years.

Rickenbacker4003
06-11-2011, 07:32 PM
In the big scheme of things. He will be that trivia question they put on those rain delays or before commercial breaks 10-15 years from now.

brownsfan456
06-11-2011, 08:29 PM
In the big scheme of things. He will be that trivia question they put on those rain delays or before commercial breaks 10-15 years from now.

Sounds about right.