PDA

View Full Version : US Open 2006 Final

wy2sl0
06-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Fed in his prime....dropped a set to Rod, Andy playing well in this part of the match just couldn't pull out the break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uSpdEdxpbk&feature=related

For those of you that watched tennis in 06 (I started in 07) what happened so that he doesn't play like this anymore? All I see are these threads about Fed not being in prime compared to Djoko and Nadal on HC now, however here is Andy (who gets no credit pretty much) taking a set from Fed and pushing him on essentially his second favourite surface.

Manus Domini
06-11-2011, 06:33 PM
I honestly think Roddick a few years back was much better than people give him credit for.

Cup8489
06-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Fed in his prime....dropped a set to Rod, Andy playing well in this part of the match just couldn't pull out the break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uSpdEdxpbk&feature=related

For those of you that watched tennis in 06 (I started in 07) what happened so that he doesn't play like this anymore? All I see are these threads about Fed not being in prime compared to Djoko and Nadal on HC now, however here is Andy (who gets no credit pretty much) taking a set from Fed and pushing him on essentially his second favourite surface.

He stopped being the aggressor.. He was an attacking player until mid 2008, and oddly switched.. and then when he hired Stefanki he turned into even more of a grinder. Another good match to watch is the Fed Roddick quarter at the USO in 2007. Roddick was just banging the ball all day.. and federer just absorbed it.

Same with wimbledon 2004. I still think roddick should use his fitness as a backup to his attacking game, use the faster speed to get in position to hit big shots instead of grinding it out.

and yes, Manus Domini, he's vastly underrated.. everyone thinks he's a clown because he can't beat one of the best players out there.. I mean if not for Fed roddick would likely have 5+ majors.. that's no slouch. he's one of the best americans ANYWAY, of all time.. but with no fed he'd be top 5 americans..

Semi-Pro
06-11-2011, 07:37 PM
8:35 tiger woods.

Sid_Vicious
06-11-2011, 07:44 PM
That was such a great match from Federer. 69 winners and 19 unforced errors=Godlike.

BeHappy
06-11-2011, 07:46 PM
2005 he started moonballing and stopped hitting his big forehand.

2006 he still wasn't hitting his big forehand, ranking dropping, got Connors who made him chip and charge,

2007 he moonballed against Federer in the AO semifinals, got historically destroyed in a match people still talk about as one of the most comprehensive beatdowns in history. Connors managed to make him hit his forehand hard again - for two matches in the USO, Johannson and Federer. He lost to Federer that day but if he played Federer like that every time he'd win occasionally, instead of absolutely never. Went straight back to moonballing after that.

2008 split from Connors, lost to Kohlschreiber in the AO in 5 sets, Media comments on his moonballing and not hitting his forehand hard anymore. Roddick admits this, goes to Doha, hits 100mph plus forehands in every match and beats Djokovic and Nadal one after another. Attributes this to 'hitting my forehand hard again' Immediately goes back to moonballing after this tournament. Goes back to losing to Nadal and Federer. And djokovic.

2009 - moonballing. Crap results.

2010 - got injured against Nadal in some tournament and 'resorted' to hitting his forehand hard, destroyed Nadal. Bullied him all round the court. Immediately returned to moonballing.

2011 -

He is legitimately mentally ********. I have never seen such a stupid tennis player. Every time he hits his forehand he gets literally instant results. He can beat Nadal at will and be competitive with Federer. And every time, without fail, he goes back to moonballing.

sunnyIce
06-11-2011, 08:07 PM
i know i keep hearing that its the same stick. but i just can't help think that nCode Fed just hit a different kind of ball.

LetsGoRoddick
06-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Argh just watching Andy lose to Federer really sucks for me.

Sid_Vicious
06-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Argh just watching Andy lose to Federer really sucks for me.
Don't feel bad bro. I am a Federer fan and watching him lose to Nadal sucks for me. :)

LetsGoRoddick
06-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Don't feel bad bro. I am a Federer fan and watching him lose to Nadal sucks for me. :)

If he could only get some more pace and depth on his opponent's short balls. That would be the first thing to fix.

sixone90
06-11-2011, 09:27 PM
i know i keep hearing that its the same stick. but i just can't help think that nCode Fed just hit a different kind of ball.

What did KFactor do to Federer in 2007?

Manus Domini
06-12-2011, 05:28 AM
and yes, Manus Domini, he's vastly underrated.. everyone thinks he's a clown because he can't beat one of the best players out there.. I mean if not for Fed roddick would likely have 5+ majors.. that's no slouch. he's one of the best americans ANYWAY, of all time.. but with no fed he'd be top 5 americans..

It's really annoying how everyone claims ARod's backhand is trash, but his bh was awesome there.

RoddickAce
06-12-2011, 06:04 AM
It's really annoying how everyone claims ARod's backhand is trash, but his bh was awesome there.

To be honest, I think his forehand is more attackable than his backhand, which is sad considering how good his forehand was.

Manus Domini
06-12-2011, 12:45 PM
To be honest, I think his forehand is more attackable than his backhand, which is sad considering how good his forehand was.

Agreed. And his bh could only have gotten better under Connors. Shame Roddick lost.

tvp900
06-12-2011, 01:17 PM

2006 he still wasn't hitting his big forehand, ranking dropping, got Connors who made him chip and charge,

2007 he moonballed against Federer in the AO semifinals, got historically destroyed in a match people still talk about as one of the most comprehensive beatdowns in history. Connors managed to make him hit his forehand hard again - for two matches in the USO, Johannson and Federer. He lost to Federer that day but if he played Federer like that every time he'd win occasionally, instead of absolutely never. Went straight back to moonballing after that.

2008 split from Connors, lost to Kohlschreiber in the AO in 5 sets, Media comments on his moonballing and not hitting his forehand hard anymore. Roddick admits this, goes to Doha, hits 100mph plus forehands in every match and beats Djokovic and Nadal one after another. Attributes this to 'hitting my forehand hard again' Immediately goes back to moonballing after this tournament. Goes back to losing to Nadal and Federer. And djokovic.

2010 - got injured against Nadal in some tournament and 'resorted' to hitting his forehand hard, destroyed Nadal. Bullied him all round the court. Immediately returned to moonballing.

2011 -

He is legitimately mentally ********. I have never seen such a stupid tennis player. Every time he hits his forehand he gets literally instant results. He can beat Nadal at will and be competitive with Federer. And every time, without fail, he goes back to moonballing.

How can you possibly say crap results in 2009?!?! the guy nearly beat Federer at Wimbledon after he soundly beat Murray in the semis. Not to mention semis at Australia, and semis in Indian Wells and Cincy

powerangle
06-12-2011, 01:21 PM

2011 -

yeah, basically

powerangle
06-12-2011, 01:22 PM

His backhand has improved and offers more pace than his forehand nowadays. Sad indeed.

If he kept his hard forehands, and included in his arsenal his improved backhand...he could have achieved a lot more

Gizo
06-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Many tennis fans lack perspective which is why players like Roddick and Hewitt are so underrated. They act as if you can pick grand slam titles from trees or buy them at the supermarket. All-time greats like Federer and Nadal are wrongly used as the benchmark against which other players are compared, when they are simply phenomenons. Only an incredibly tiny percentage of professional tennis players achieve as much as what Roddick has done.

Manus Domini
06-12-2011, 01:26 PM
His backhand has improved and offers more pace than his forehand nowadays. Sad indeed.

If he kept his hard forehands, and included in his arsenal his improved backhand...he could have achieved a lot more

It's so frustrating America doesn't have one of the winningest players on tour for the first time in a century!

powerangle
06-12-2011, 01:30 PM

I'm a fan of both Fed and Rod, but at least Fed has his 16 slams to console him when he loses to Rafa. Roddick only has one. :(

Watching these clips again...it's ironically similar, the Fed-Roddick dynamic and the Nadal-Fed dynamic. Roddick can get to a ton of break points against Federer, but he always has a tough time converting. Sounds familiar, eh? ;) Granted, a lot of the times Fed just summons aces out of nowhere to save break points. Of course he can't summon them against Nadal.

Mainad
06-12-2011, 01:31 PM
How can you possibly say crap results in 2009?!?! the guy nearly beat Federer at Wimbledon after he soundly beat Murray in the semis. Not to mention semis at Australia, and semis in Indian Wells and Cincy

I agree.Roddick had a slow start to 2009 but he played magnificently at Wimbledon culminating in that fantastic final with Fed.He had a good start to 2010 winning Miami and losing two tight set tie-breakers to Ljubicic at the IW final. Then he got mono and his form dipped again.This year his form has so far been a bit subpar perhaps partly due to a persistent shoulder injury.

Manus Domini
06-12-2011, 01:32 PM
I'm a fan of both Fed and Rod, but at least Fed has his 16 slams to console him when he loses to Rafa. Roddick only has one. :(

Watching these clips again...it's ironically similar, the Fed-Roddick dynamic and the Nadal-Fed dynamic. Roddick can get to a ton of break points against Federer, but he always has a tough time converting. Sounds familiar, eh? ;)

Also notice that he makes really unnecessary blunders and UEs while trying to convert.

powerangle
06-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Also notice that he makes really unnecessary blunders and UEs while trying to convert.

yes there's also that

Gizo
06-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Against most other players Roddick is usually very reliable in tiebreaks, but against Federer in a big tiebreak, you know who is going to win.

Comet Buster
06-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Many tennis fans lack perspective which is why players like Roddick and Hewitt are so underrated.

Who underrates Roddick and Hewitt? Probably the tennis forum users who probably have no understanding or involvement of the sport. Many people who aren't sheep understand Hewitt is a great player and Roddick is a very good player. Roddick was naturally a defensive player from the beginning of his tennis career. Even when he would hit the crap out of the ball on the FH side he'd still play defensive in certain patches of matches. 2003/04 he moved much better, actually appraoched better, better FH, BH is pretty much the same and his return was better in 2001-04. He should have a) Not got rid of Gilbert and b) Improved aspects with Gilbert as he didn't listen to Gilbert when he tried to get Roddick to do different things.

Gizo
06-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Who underrates Roddick and Hewitt? Probably the tennis forum users who probably have no understanding or involvement of the sport. Many people who aren't sheep understand Hewitt is a great player and Roddick is a very good player.

That is exactly who I meant underrated Roddick and Hewitt. There are many sheep like you describe on the various tennis forums I have posted on. These are the sort of people I've seen decribing top 10 players as journeymen LOL.

powerangle
06-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Who underrates Roddick and Hewitt? Probably the tennis forum users who probably have no understanding or involvement of the sport. Many people who aren't sheep understand Hewitt is a great player and Roddick is a very good player. Roddick was naturally a defensive player from the beginning of his tennis career. Even when he would hit the crap out of the ball on the FH side he'd still play defensive in certain patches of matches. 2003/04 he moved much better, actually appraoched better, better FH, BH is pretty much the same and his return was better in 2001-04. He should have a) Not got rid of Gilbert and b) Improved aspects with Gilbert as he didn't listen to Gilbert when he tried to get Roddick to do different things.

Yes, Roddick's firing of Gilbert was always peculiar for me. I know they eventually didn't get along (both are strongly opinionated)...but Andy, you are stupid. I honestly think you could have won more if you put aside your frat boy differences and listened to what Gilbert had to say. It's too late now. I laugh when commercials or advertisements portray or call you a power player. Right...

Gizo
06-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Roddick's match against Agassi at Cincinnati in 2004 was an example how good he was during his 2003-2004 prime. He was going toe to toe with an in-form Agassi from the baseline for long periods.

Comet Buster
06-12-2011, 01:51 PM
That is exactly who I meant underrated Roddick and Hewitt. There are many sheep like you describe on the various tennis forums I have posted on. These are the sort of people I've seen decribing top 10 players as journeymen LOL.

Because they don't play tennis. They couldn't explain the difference between a SW grip or an eastern grip without going to wikipedia etc etc. Frankly, Federer and Nadal would be embarassed if they found out the sort of people who root for them.

zagor
06-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Was a great match,shame Rod couldn't push it to five.Still no matter how great of a year Fed had in 2006 his most spectacular tennis to watch for me will always be 2005 version,the way he pummeled the FH that year was just an amazing sight,he was just hitting through players and finished more points at the net as well while in 2006 he started playing more conservative higher percentage tennis.

BeHappy
06-13-2011, 12:23 PM
I agree.Roddick had a slow start to 2009 but he played magnificently at Wimbledon culminating in that fantastic final with Fed.He had a good start to 2010 winning Miami and losing two tight set tie-breakers to Ljubicic at the IW final. Then he got mono and his form dipped again.This year his form has so far been a bit subpar perhaps partly due to a persistent shoulder injury.

Federer was at the bottom of his slump that year. In terms of the quality of tennis that was the worst Wimbledon final since Richard Kraijeck won. I even made a thread about it at the time. Murray choked in that semi final.