PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding on beginner raquet for wife!

SCapps
06-11-2011, 08:11 PM
My wife has decided to join the tennis club with me and wants to learn how to play and I want to make sure I get the right racquet for her. The pro shop at my tennis club has some really good deals on the following racquets:

Babolat XS 102
Head Ti.S6
Prince EXO3 Hybrid 110
Prince EXO3 Blue 110
Yonex E-Zone Team Plus 102

Would appreciate all suggestions on which racquet would be best for her. Thanks!

brownsfan456
06-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Any good Tweener would be a great transition. Maybe like the Dunlop 500? That way she could grow into it and continue to use it as she gets better.

whomad15
06-11-2011, 11:04 PM
prince blue. its lighter, but it has a solid feel to it and a very even balance

eman resu
06-12-2011, 10:21 AM
My girlfriend uses the prince exo3 hybrid 102 and is really happy with it.

eliza
06-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Excuse me, but why she does not go and try by HERSELF?

SCapps
06-12-2011, 11:57 AM
My girlfriend uses the prince exo3 hybrid 102 and is really happy with it.

I ended up going with the Prince Hybrid and she loves it. Thanks!

SCapps
06-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Excuse me, but why she does not go and try by HERSELF?

Why are you worried about that to begin with but so you know she asked to go with me. If you don't have anything to say concerning the question, please don't say anything. I mean really???:confused:

brownsfan456
06-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Hang on guys. She probably just wants him to pick her a frame since he knows more about this stuff.

And SCapps, if at all possible let her play with some of those frames and see if she likes them.

eliza
06-12-2011, 03:16 PM
OP, you are such a gentleman. Really.

SCapps
06-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Hang on guys. She probably just wants him to pick her a frame since he knows more about this stuff.

And SCapps, if at all possible let her play with some of those frames and see if she likes them.

That is exactly what she wanted. She went with me today and she tried them all. I was just asking if anyone had any experience with the racquets I listed, to please share. Don't know what Eliza was talking about???

flashfire276
06-12-2011, 05:31 PM
That is exactly what she wanted. She went with me today and she tried them all. I was just asking if anyone had any experience with the racquets I listed, to please share. Don't know what Eliza was talking about???

The thing about a beginner frame, I'm really afraid of spending a lot when it comes to those. Like, your wife can stop using that frame because she either quits (which I highly doubt), or she would progress and need another one (which I strongly believe!!).
So when I try to find a beginner frame, I try to find a good tweener, or a lighter player's frame that can be modded as she gets better. That way, you might not have to make a 2nd investment on a frame, you know?
So stating that, any chance you can look into something like the Head Youtek Speed Elite? It's on sale right I think, so it's super cheap! And the mold is a true player's racquet, so you just need to lead it up when she gets to that point.
Or along that, maybe a Head MG Radical OS and a Wilson BLX Bold?
Or, I have some beginner's frames for cheap. PM if you'd like!

mctennis
06-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Get her a Volkl V1 Classic. It is a great racquet to start out with and also grows as her skills grow too. You'll not have to keep buying another racquet as she gets better. It is easy on the body and arm/shoulder/ wrist area as well.

Readers
06-12-2011, 09:09 PM
TW just reviewed an exo3 115 not long ago and they liked it a lot, and many did not expect and like an OS before they hit with it.

Smasher08
06-13-2011, 03:54 AM
I'd suggest not getting her a "beginner frame" at all since they tend to be too light and poorly balanced: they'll reward bad technique, which will impede her progress.

So buy her a decent frame that will encourage her to develop proper strokes and that she can advance with as a player. I'd suggest something like the Wilson 6.1 Team, or the Dunlop 300.

GorillaPeanuts
06-13-2011, 04:06 AM
Exo3 Red, can't beat it.

SCapps
06-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks to all for your suggestions, I really appreciate it. Flashfire 276, I totally agree with what you're saying and I have tried explaining that to her but for some reason she seems to be kinda scared of the 100" head and feels more comfortable with the OS head. She played with the EXO3 Hybrid 110 and liked it but I am gonna try and talk to her again before I actually make a purchase. If she is stuck on the OS frame then I may send you a message. I am gonna check into all the frames listed here and talk with her about them as well. I can demo pretty much any Wilson, Babolat, or Prince racquet at our tennis club but I would have to demo Head racquets from TW. Again, thanks!

NoQuarter
06-21-2011, 11:20 AM
The thing about a beginner frame, I'm really afraid of spending a lot when it comes to those. Like, your wife can stop using that frame because she either quits (which I highly doubt), or she would progress and need another one (which I strongly believe!!).
So when I try to find a beginner frame, I try to find a good tweener, or a lighter player's frame that can be modded as she gets better. That way, you might not have to make a 2nd investment on a frame, you know?
So stating that, any chance you can look into something like the Head Youtek Speed Elite? It's on sale right I think, so it's super cheap! And the mold is a true player's racquet, so you just need to lead it up when she gets to that point.
Or along that, maybe a Head MG Radical OS and a Wilson BLX Bold?
Or, I have some beginner's frames for cheap. PM if you'd like!

This post is right on the money....my wife took up tennis last fall and she started with an OS. By the spring she was complaining about that racquet so we went to a store and she picked out the Speed Elite to test, then buy. She is loving this frame...and she is hitting with much more control and getting good depth.

10ACE
06-21-2011, 11:40 AM
SCapps have her hold your racquet and ask her what she like's and dislikes about it- heavy, head light etc- then you can go from there.

Is she strong, is she week, does she have an iota of athletic ability- you know your wife- I am sure from that you will be able to pick the racquet- if it has to be from the ones you're listed i would say none- and rather go with A Babolat Pure Drive + off the bay- good weight- balance and power for women.

SCapps
06-21-2011, 12:03 PM
SCapps have her hold your racquet and ask her what she like's and dislikes about it- heavy, head light etc- then you can go from there.

Is she strong, is she week, does she have an iota of athletic ability- you know your wife- I am sure from that you will be able to pick the racquet- if it has to be from the ones you're listed i would say none- and rather go with A Babolat Pure Drive + off the bay- good weight- balance and power for women.

You're saying a Babolat Pure Drive standard or plus version? I would say she is in the middle, wouldn't say she is really strong nor would I say she is really weak. She hasn't got the greatest athletic ability but when she sets her mind to do something, she will do it. On another note, I'm about to purchase the PDR standard or the plus version. I have always played with standard 27" racquets but have heard the plus is good for shorter people (I'm 5'8) and that it has a more solid feel. What is your opinion on this?

kalipa
06-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Gamma Big Bubba
Wilson BLX Cierzo

10ACE
06-22-2011, 12:08 PM
You're saying a Babolat Pure Drive standard or plus version? I would say she is in the middle, wouldn't say she is really strong nor would I say she is really weak. She hasn't got the greatest athletic ability but when she sets her mind to do something, she will do it. On another note, I'm about to purchase the PDR standard or the plus version. I have always played with standard 27" racquets but have heard the plus is good for shorter people (I'm 5'8) and that it has a more solid feel. What is your opinion on this?

the PDR + also great for 2HBH- I think your wife- and u would get great use out of it- great racquet.

user92626
06-22-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm a guy, been playing for 3+ years, I think I have a solid FH and BH (as good as recreational game goes) and I can attest the Speed Elite is a fine frame. After 2 sets of singles it feels as heavy as a 14oz stick when you first pick up. If you make an effort, it's a great racket to whip around with superb control.

Get a few. Ladies are gonna look so good with those Apple white frames! LOL