PDA

View Full Version : 2 Versions of the Yonex RQIS 1 Tour

Pure Babs
06-11-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm in the market for a new racquet, and I am trying to decide between the heavier or the lighter version of the RQIS 1 Tour. I normally use the Pure Drive, and have had no problems with the racquet itself- other than the stiffness which destroyed my arm. My questions: Is the light version of this racquet too light? Do you notice the relatively high weight of the normal frame?

fuzz nation
06-12-2011, 03:57 AM
I have only the heavier version of the RQiS 1 Tour, which I think I got through the classifieds here in a trade. I typically use heavier gear all the time and usually enjoy playing with the Volkl C10 these days - mine weigh 12.5 oz. and they play nice and soft for me.

My bet would be that the lighter Yonex option would probably be too light, even if it has a weight and balance that are in the neighborhood of your Pure Drive. The problem we can run into when switching to a significantly softer racquet is the sort of "power drain" that comes with that extra flex. The softer frame has less inherent pop, so going to an alternative that's both softer and lighter can make for a double whammy.

My RQiS 1 Tour has rather nice feel along with plenty of flex in its throat, which seems to contribute to that racquet's high degree of control, but I needed to add a bit of 3/9 o'clock lead tape to mine just to get some stability with it as well as a measure of authority on my shots (this really worked well). In stock form, it's a rather mellow racquet, but in a good way. Even though I like rather heavy gear, my Yonex still feels rather light, and that's with the lead tape added to its hoop.

HurricaneDominic
06-12-2011, 04:41 AM
Go for the RQiS 1 Tour. I'd even suggest the XL if you're looking for a few grams lighter.

Gasolina
06-12-2011, 05:53 AM
Already a lot of threads comparing the XL and non-XL versions.

Buckethead
06-12-2011, 07:42 AM
I'm in the market for a new racquet, and I am trying to decide between the heavier or the lighter version of the RQIS 1 Tour. I normally use the Pure Drive, and have had no problems with the racquet itself- other than the stiffness which destroyed my arm. My questions: Is the light version of this racquet too light? Do you notice the relatively high weight of the normal frame?

I have the heavier version, and have always loved it, for me it is one of the best rackets that has been on the market in the last 4,5 years among anything.

I'd suggest you to go with the light one, since it's close in weight to your Pure Drive, therefore you won't lose any maneuverability.

They're(RQiS 1 tour and PD) going to be very different, where you'll have to generate your own pace with it more or less, it is more control oriented has a better feel(quite different from PD) where it flexes more on the throat and it is somewhat firm on the hood, you'll get more more spin with RQiS 1 tour(at least i get with mine).

Even if the power level is lower this racket would allow you to use powerful poly strings since it's a lot more comfortable. It is a more versatile racket string wise and you can always lower tension and mess around with it to get your desired set up.

You'll see a whole new world with that racket.

fuzz nation
06-13-2011, 05:09 AM
No offense intended to our pal Buckethead, but if you've had your arm "destroyed" by the stiffness in the Pure Drive, I say don't even think about putting poly in that Yonex if you get one (or more!) for yourself. Step one toward protecting your arm is avoiding that stuff like the plague.

What you may actually find with a much softer frame like the RQiS 1 Tour is that a more lively, resilient string works well in that racquet compared with a stiffer frame that typically turns into a slingshot when paired with softer strings.

Pure Babs
06-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I've decided to buy one of the light versions from a guy here on the boards. I'll play with it for awhile, tinker around with lead, etc. And then decide where to go from there. I know it's going to be in a whole different world than the pure drive, but I need it right now.

vandre
06-14-2011, 08:03 AM
^^^that's prolly the way to go babs. i own both and hit with both against the ball machine yesterday and i getting through the ball quicker with the xl.

vandre
06-14-2011, 08:07 AM
What you may actually find with a much softer frame like the RQiS 1 Tour is that a more lively, resilient string works well in that racquet compared with a stiffer frame that typically turns into a slingshot when paired with softer strings.

right on the money. i string up my rqis 1 tours (non xl versions) with gamma tnt2 and things balance quite nicely. the string gives the frame a little more pop but i still get the control i like from the racquet. i'm not hitting 80 mph groundies and i'm not a string breaker, so i don't really need the poly. works for me.

klu375
06-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I've decided to buy one of the light versions from a guy here on the boards. I'll play with it for awhile, tinker around with lead, etc. And then decide where to go from there. I know it's going to be in a whole different world than the pure drive, but I need it right now.

Why don't you demo VCore 100S? It is a more civilized version of Pure Drive.

terryansimon
06-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Why don't you demo VCore 100S? It is a more civilized version of Pure Drive.

+1. personally changed from a Pure Drive to a VCore 100s. yes, a drop in power was immediately noticeable, but it's so much more friendlier on the arm!