PDA

View Full Version : Pat Cash questions Federer quality

TheNatural
06-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Written last year but the points cash makes are still relevant. Interesting read.

Pat Cash questions Federer quality (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/pat-cash-questions-federer-quality/story-e6frexni-1225820392000)

When The Sunday Telegraph contacted the 44-year-old last week for his thoughts on the Australian Open, Cash was as honest and forthright as ever.

He declared the legacy of Swiss legend and world No 1 Roger Federer won't be known until he has weathered the storm he is set to face over the next three years. It's almost blasphemy in the world of tennis to question Federer's greatness, but that didn't deter Cash.

"The next couple of years is the only time he will have been challenged by more than one person," Cash said. "(Rafael) Nadal has a winning edge over him and he has it over him mentally, too.

"I think (Juan Martin) del Potro and Andy Murray are really troubling him lately and I just hope we haven't seen Federer peak when there weren't any challenges."

Pete Sampras, who saw Federer go past him at Wimbledon last year when he claimed his 15th Grand Slam title, was defined by his rivalry with Andre Agassi.

Before that, it was Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors. And in Cash's day, he battled the super Swedes, Mats Wilander and Stefan Edberg, and Ivan Lendl.

For much of his career, Federer was playing against history - trying to chase down Sampras's 14 Grand Slams. Now that he has got there, the rivals are real - and they are coming to get him.

"It doesn't really make it a fair indication of how good he really is if there hasn't been anyone really to challenge him," Cash said. "It will almost be a false impression of how good he really is.

"But I think over the next few years we'll see how good he really is. You've got to look at who you play. You can't just put a man in a boys' tournament and say, 'Wow, how good is he?'

"Because suddenly you drop another man in there and think, 'He's not as good as we thought he was'. And at the moment for me, that's what is still in question."

THE BATTLE

Federer has appeared in an unprecedented 21 Grand Slam finals and has reached the semi-finals or better of the past 22 major tournaments.

It is a record streak that spans five years. He also holds the record of reaching 10 consecutive Grand Slam finals and has appeared in 17 of the past 18. And the world No 1 has won 16 ATP Masters Series tournaments, one less than Agassi's record.

But, according to Cash, tennis fans should mark down the Australian Open of 2010 as the year the onslaught began. "Because it was a bit of a one-horse race, then a two-horse race for so long. But now I think this is a legitimate challenge there for Federer," Cash said.

"Federer really was in a league of his own for a while, partially because he's so good. He brought a different aspect to the game, but a lot of players have become accustomed to his style now and they have worked him out. "It's going to be not so easy for him any more.

"He's a sensational player and he'll continue to win big tournaments, for sure, but I don't see it as quite as freely. Nadal was injured last year, so you've got to say Federer had a bit of luck in the French Open.

"Federer's amazing because he's so fit. He stays in incredible shape all the time. There's no doubt his shot-making is one of the greatest of all time, if not the greatest. But it's easy to make shots when you're not playing against anybody of your standard.

"Now he's got other players of his standard, so, I think it will be a great challenge for him and hopefully he can stand up to it and stay fit as well."

THE RIVALS

In 2001, Cash lost a claycourt exhibition match to a then 15-year-old Nadal. He knows the Spaniard well and believes only a nagging knee injury robbed the world No 2 of solidifying the pressure on Federer.

But it's Argentine giant Juan Martin del Potro who really excites Cash. The former Australian Davis Cup hero suggested the world No 4 has the high-powered game to bring down Federer, just like he did in last year's US Open final.

"I think del Potro is a very, very good player. I heard he hurt himself this week so hopefully he'll be OK," Cash said. "I think he's a real superstar.

"I think Andy Murray is a real superstar, also (Novak) Djokovic has a lot of potential as well. He's a real danger player. So there's a handful now."

The new wave will get their crack at the master this week at the Australian Open. Last year, it was Nadal who brought down the Swiss maestro. This year, the world No 1 is facing an ambush.

nikdom
06-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Pat Cash who?

TheNatural
06-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Pat Cash who?

Cash - The Wimbledon Champ.

ledwix
06-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Eh....so we'll only see how good he REALLY is in his 30-31 year old retirement year? Something tells me there is information about his level of play before this....

flyinghippos101
06-11-2011, 10:03 PM
This article is a year and a half old...

Grasping straws eh?

Bud
06-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Pat Cash who?

Johnny Cash's brother :|

Magnus
06-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Didn't Mr. Cash bash Nadal on quite a few occasions?

TheNatural
06-11-2011, 10:19 PM
This article is a year and a half old...

Grasping straws eh?

he is talking about the next 3 years there so what he says is relevant right now.Its a good time to asses what he wrote and see how Fed is travelling after a year and a half.

cc0509
06-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Pat Cash is a one slam wonder who takes great pride it seems in bashing those who are better than he is. But, with that said, who cares what he really thinks about Federer or anybody else? He is allowed his opinion no matter how much others may not like it or disagree with it. It is not like it is a state of national emergency or something.

nikdom
06-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Johnny Cash's brother :|

Brother or sister?

Pat sounds like a girl's name.

Roger No.1
06-11-2011, 10:41 PM
The reason guys like Hewitt, Roddick, Safin, Murray and Djokovic won so few (or none) Grand Slams was becasue Federer beat them. Was it not for Federer - these guys would have more titles and would be considered superstars.
There's a lot more competition these days and any top 4 players would have beaten anybody in the 80's or 90's - the game has changed.
Maybe Cash is trying to say he was unfortunate to play with so many great players and that's why he only won 1 Grand Slam.

rafan
06-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Pat Cash changes like the wind. He is a very 'available' ex Wimbledon champion who tours around the place playing wherever he can. He was quite scathing about Rafa once so I never take him seriously

zagor
06-11-2011, 11:00 PM
With all due respect I disagree with Pat Cash,of course his opinion does hold some weight given that he's a former Wimbledon champ but that doesn't mean everyone has to take it as a fact.As I see it everything player does from 29-30 to the rest of his career is sort of a bonus,a player legacy isn't defined in the twilight years of his career but rather during his peak years and Fed used the utmost of his talent,worked hard,scheduled well and achieved more than any other player in open era probably.

Now I hope Fed gets a few more slams but that's because I'm a fan of his,not because I think Fed has to prove anything to Cash or anyone else out there.

jackson vile
07-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Federer could very well make that difference. He has been playing extremely well, he was just taken out by an on fire Tsonga.

Clarky21
07-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Pat Cash is an idiot. Federer has 16 slams in his pocket and this clown wants to question his quality? Get real.

gregor.b
07-08-2011, 05:42 PM
I am an Aussie and even I think Pat Cash is an idiot.His Daddy finally let him off the leash,so he didn't really know what he was saying.

Rippy
07-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Lmao, so we only see how good he really is once he's 30 years old, and well past his prime?

:lol:

gpt
07-08-2011, 05:49 PM
I am an Aussie and even I think Pat Cash is an idiot.His Daddy finally let him off the leash,so he didn't really know what he was saying.

Ha Ha! Probably truer than funny :)

Breaker
07-08-2011, 05:54 PM
The reason guys like Hewitt, Roddick, Safin, Murray and Djokovic won so few (or none) Grand Slams was becasue Federer beat them. Was it not for Federer - these guys would have more titles and would be considered superstars.
There's a lot more competition these days and any top 4 players would have beaten anybody in the 80's or 90's - the game has changed.
Maybe Cash is trying to say he was unfortunate to play with so many great players and that's why he only won 1 Grand Slam.

Almost worse than anything Cash said in the article. Maybe early 80s players would have difficulty due to racquet technology being so different but the top players of the 90s would still be great today.

Тинана
07-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Pat Cash is a one slam wonder who takes great pride it seems in bashing those who are better than he is. But, with that said, who cares what he really thinks about Federer or anybody else? He is allowed his opinion no matter how much others may not like it or disagree with it. It is not like it is a state of national emergency or something.

Absolutely Agreeable.

aprilfool
07-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Pat Cash who?

Pat-lets bring back the time clock because Nadal and Novak waste too much time-Cash.
I guess he wants to appear "fair and balanced".

Bobby Jr
07-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Yeah... the article is over 18 months old so no wonder it's full of irrelevant points like Murray/Delpo having giving him trouble. The period since has shown Delpo to be a non-event and Federer has had the measure of Murray at the important junctures.

Every player can attribute some percentage of their success to other's injuries. Record books don't care. Nor do they care if you were injured.

Cash is a muppet. Been hanging out with too many hippies and smoking too much weed by the looks of it.

SStrikerR
07-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Didn't Mr. Cash bash Nadal on quite a few occasions?

Considering Nadal beat him when he was in his mid teens, I would hope not.

OrangePower
07-08-2011, 06:49 PM
The irony of it is:

Pat Cash had some success in his career, but won his last singles title when he was 25.

And he is suggesting that Fed should be judged mostly based on his results in his late twenties?

If we judged Cash by how he was doing in his late twenties, he'd be a total zero.

hoodjem
07-08-2011, 06:52 PM
If we don't like the message, let's trash the messenger--

Cash is an idiot.

Federer is god.

SStrikerR
07-08-2011, 07:43 PM

Cash is an idiot.

Federer is god.

No, it's the fact that he's a total hypocrite and is trying to cover his a** since Nadal beat him as a teenager.

pame
07-08-2011, 07:51 PM

Cash is an idiot.

Federer is god.

Seems that just because you don't like the almost universal respose to cash'< cooments, you trot out some overworked and tired broadside

Rippy
07-08-2011, 07:53 PM

Cash is an idiot.

Federer is god.

Yes, when someone speaks a load of illogical rubbish, it is expected that they get insulted for doing so.

Does that not seem reasonable to you?

pame
07-08-2011, 07:55 PM
The irony of it is:

Pat Cash had some success in his career, but won his last singles title when he was 25.

And he is suggesting that Fed should be judged mostly based on his results in his late twenties?

If we judged Cash by how he was doing in his late twenties, he'd be a total zero.

QFT and touche

r2473
07-08-2011, 08:11 PM
The reason guys like Hewitt, Roddick, Safin, Murray and Djokovic .....

I stopped reading right there.

I don't want to know why guys like these players.

Mustard
07-08-2011, 08:31 PM
That exhibition match in May 2001 when a 14 year old Rafael Nadal beat Pat Cash wasn't supposed to happen. Cash was in Majorca to play against Boris Becker, but Becker couldn't play because of injury. The organisers wanted the crowd to see a match so they decided to give a 14 year old Nadal his chance against Cash. Nadal, at the time, was trying and failing to qualify for Satellite tournaments and having lost to Sergio Roitman in the qualifiers for the 2001 Mallorca ATP-Tour tournament. Nadal took his chance brilliantly against Cash, winning a close match.

Sid_Vicious
07-08-2011, 08:35 PM
I think Pat Cash once criticized Mirka for trying to mess up Federer's career and Mirka actually responded by telling Cash to "Shut up".

Mustard
07-08-2011, 08:40 PM
I think Pat Cash once criticized Mirka for trying to mess up Federer's career and Mirka actually responded by telling Cash to "Shut up".

Here's an article on it:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/article-8687719-i-am-not-wrecking-federer-says-mirka.do

Sid_Vicious
07-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Here's an article on it:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/article-8687719-i-am-not-wrecking-federer-says-mirka.do

LOL!

Man I forgot about all the other stuff she said. Mirka really shred Cash to pieces.

:lol:

HEFFERNANdoug
07-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Would be funny listening to Pat Cash talk about those statements now.
http://www.wiids.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/grand-slam-tennis-pat-cash.jpg

Sentinel
07-08-2011, 09:15 PM
No disrespect to the great Cash, but its amazing how one persons injuries and illnesses are seen as an excuse, while another's are a reason for loss.

It's like the Nadal fans here, who laugh at other players injuries/illnesses, but discredit anyone who beats Rafa since Rafa was clearly injured or tired or not himself (if you can't see that you are delusional and know nothing about tennis).

rk_sports
07-08-2011, 09:48 PM
lost me right here ... lol

"I think Andy Murray is a real superstar"

norbac
07-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Have got to agree with Cash here, like it or not.

SStrikerR
07-08-2011, 09:51 PM
That exhibition match in May 2001 when a 14 year old Rafael Nadal beat Pat Cash wasn't supposed to happen. Cash was in Majorca to play against Boris Becker, but Becker couldn't play because of injury. The organisers wanted the crowd to see a match so they decided to give a 14 year old Nadal his chance against Cash. Nadal, at the time, was trying and failing to qualify for Satellite tournaments and having lost to Sergio Roitman in the qualifiers for the 2001 Mallorca ATP-Tour tournament. Nadal took his chance brilliantly against Cash, winning a close match.

Yes, I know the story behind the match. But guess what? It doesn't matter if it wasn't supposed to happen, or how it happened. What matters is Nadal won.

mandy01
07-08-2011, 11:27 PM
LOL!

Man I forgot about all the other stuff she said. Mirka really shred Cash to pieces.

:lol:Yep. That was epic. That's probably the most I've ever heard from Mirka in the press after she started playing a greater role in Roger's life and it was well-deserved. I think it's a Swiss-thing to be so direct and I love it. :)

Tshooter
07-09-2011, 12:26 AM
",of course his opinion does hold some weight given that he's a former Wimbledon champ"

Some weight. As in next to zero.

David Foster Wallace once and forever destroyed the notion that top players simply by virtue of having been top players have any particular insight into the game. He seems about insightful as Tracy Austin:

http://ijstrose.wetpaint.com/page/How+Tracy+Austin+Broke+My+Heart

fps
07-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Oh yes Pat Cash, it's definitely all about who Fed plays and how well he does between the ages of 30 and 33. THAT will decide what people think of him as a player.

FedExpress 333
07-09-2011, 01:17 AM
Pat Cash is an idiot.

pringles
07-09-2011, 06:04 AM
Isn't it the same Cash who said c. 2002 that Federer was never going to win Wimbledon?

sbengte
07-09-2011, 07:03 AM
OP, why don't you start a thread on Ralph calling the guy in your avatar boring and that what he played was not tennis ? I don't remember you ever commenting on it.

TheTruth
07-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Pat does speak out of term, a lot. Many times it seems he's just trying to keep himself relevant as a one-time Wimbledon player. We usually don't hear much one slam wonders, so it's pretty sly on Cash's part.

That being said, his points are true.

Fed with his five year edge of experience and talent, at age 23was able to win against an inexperienced field. Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and del Potro were 18, 17, and 16 years old.

His contemporaries Nalbandian, Hewitt, JCF, and Safin were MIA most of that time. Only Roddick remained and his talent level was light years away from Fed's.

Now that the boys grew up the playing field is leveling out. It's true that Federer only had one challenger. How can you judge greatness based on that?

And before you say I'm siding with Cash, the reality is that Cash is siding with me. I've been saying this for years.

Don't trash me for having an opinion. A blind man has to admit this argument is valid.

In response to the article, I agree.

Talker
07-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Cash may have some points.

Maybe he's just singling Federer out because of his records but we have Nadal also who has good records and has to come under the knife also.

It's just an ERA argument and just another opinion. We've heard it all before.

Mustard
07-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Isn't it the same Cash who said c. 2002 that Federer was never going to win Wimbledon?

Correct. Cash gave that analysis to Sue Barker on the BBC after Ancic beat Federer in straight sets in the first round of 2002 Wimbledon. Although, it has to be said that at the time, Federer seemed to be going backwards when it came to the majors, as he had lost in the first round of the 2002 French Open as well despite his excellent 2002 Hamburg win.

I must admit that I never thought Federer would win a major myself. He just didn't seem to have the temperament needed.

pringles
07-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Correct. Cash gave that analysis to Sue Barker on the BBC after Ancic beat Federer in straight sets in the first round of 2002 Wimbledon. Although, it has to be said that at the time, Federer seemed to be going backwards when it came to the majors, as he had lost in the first round of the 2002 French Open as well despite his excellent 2002 Hamburg win.

I must admit that I never thought Federer would win a major myself. He just didn't seem to have the temperament needed.

Still he made a complete fool of himself. It's not to wise to predict that a then 20,21-year old player would NEVER do this or that. It's like saying nowadays that Raonic or Dimitrov won't EVER win a Slam. It's completely hypothetical and way too early to predict.

Torres
07-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Pat Cash completely missis the point.

Federer can only beat whichever players are in front of him. If there's nobody THAT good, that's not to say that he's not the greatest or one of the greatest.

Silly for Cash to also suggest that the real test is in the next 3 years when Federer's going to be 31-33 and not everywhere close to his physical peak - the complete opposite situation to Djokovic.

Gorecki
07-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Pat does speak out of term, a lot. Many times it seems he's just trying to keep himself relevant as a one-time Wimbledon player. We usually don't hear much one slam wonders, so it's pretty sly on Cash's part.

Fed with his five year edge of experience and talent, at age 23was able to win against an inexperienced field. Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and del Potro were 18, 17, and 16 years old.

His contemporaries Nalbandian, Hewitt, JCF, and Safin were MIA most of that time. Only Roddick remained and his talent level was light years away from Fed's.

Now that the boys grew up the playing field is leveling out. It's true that Federer only had one challenger. How can you judge greatness based on that?

And before you say I'm siding with Cash, the reality is that Cash is siding with me. I've been saying this for years.

Don't trash me for having an opinion. A blind man has to admit this argument is valid.

In response to the article, I agree.

meanwhile in a different thread...

There is a difference between constructive criticism and negative criticism.

And it puts him in a bad light, imo, since he hasn't done *#@* on the tour.

When it's all said and done, Mirnyi's name will not be mentioned. So, him coming out against an all time great is just dumb.

Anyone who dismisses incredible gets, superior and winning tactics, amasses 10 majors, holds an enviable h2h against one who many call the greatest ever is just silly.

If anything, he ought to be saying to himself, "what am I missing? cause I haven't even made a dent on the tour with what I'm doing."

Poor Max, with his boring game. Many posters don't even know who he is or his particular game style.

I could understand it if he had a flashy game (which he does not), but Max is the one of the most boring players on the circuit.

Serve, serve, serve. Next game. Serve, flub, passed. The nerve!

ha the irony!!!!

zagor
07-09-2011, 02:21 PM
",of course his opinion does hold some weight given that he's a former Wimbledon champ"

Some weight. As in next to zero.

David Foster Wallace once and forever destroyed the notion that top players simply by virtue of having been top players have any particular insight into the game. He seems about insightful as Tracy Austin:

http://ijstrose.wetpaint.com/page/How+Tracy+Austin+Broke+My+Heart

No, I still maintain his opinion has weight because he played tennis at such a high level, doesn't mean I can't criticize or disagree with his opinion.

In this case I strongly disagree with him.

No, his points are true to you because you agree with them. His points on their own are neither true or false, they're an opinion, speculation.

A blind man has to admit this argument is valid.

LOL, no, neither I nor anyone else has to admit Cash's argument is valid, his opinion is not infallible. I don't judge Fed's greatness by what he will/has achieved in the twilight years of his career (which seems quite convenient I have to say) but rather look at the big picture and his achievements place him among tennis greats like Sampras, Lenld, Borg, Laver, Agassi etc,. Furthemore I apply the same standard to any player, I don't judge Pete solely by his achievements in 1998-2002 nor will I judge Nadal/Djokovic merely by what they do after the age of 27.

Gorecki
07-09-2011, 02:30 PM
it will be funny to revive this thread in two or three years time...

zagor
07-09-2011, 02:33 PM
it will be funny to revive this thread in two or three years time...

Oh, I will revive it once Nadal hits 27-28(not even 29-30 like Roger), I reckon we'll hear quite a different tune then.

Gorecki
07-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Oh, I will revive it once Nadal hits 27-28(not even 29-30 like Roger), I reckon we'll hear quite a different tune then.

we already do now... look above!!!

zagor
07-09-2011, 02:40 PM

LOL, nice catch. Absolutely hilarious stuff.

Gorecki
07-09-2011, 02:45 PM
LOL, nice catch. Absolutely hilarious stuff.

a Fed fan (not me as you know) could just pick her post, replace Max & Mirny words by Pat & Cash and no more work needed... :)

AlpineCadet
07-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Pat Cash needs the attention, doesn't he?

Sid_Vicious
07-09-2011, 02:50 PM
lol. The funny thing about this article is that Cash was eating some major crow just 2 weeks later when Federer trashed Murray in the AO final. Hopefully, Cash put an end to that "false impression" theory.

cc0509
07-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by zagor

Ha, ha, so true. Pure mindless hypocritical drivel of epic proportions! :lol:

forehandshanker
07-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Coming from a bloke who only made 9 major appearances in the QF (compared to Fed who has 32 QF appearances in majors), I have to conclude that by his own standards he was not a very good player to beat his own peers.

accidental
07-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Yes its true, all players have their very best years at 30 or beyond.

Pat Cash is a prime example.

pame
07-11-2011, 07:16 PM
I wonder what other ancient articles the OP will dig up for us... there must be more out there to dig up - never mind the cobwebs and settled dust :D

Russeljones
07-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Pat Cash is bitter, this is absolute garbage.

Chasing history (Pete's 14 Slams) now that he's got there the competition is real, yeah they handed him those slams on a silver platter.

This man should be put in a mental institution.

beast of mallorca
07-12-2011, 02:48 AM
Pat Cash wants to generate attention for himself. Guess he wants to feel relevant in the sports news industry by making lame comments like that.

jackson vile
07-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Pat Cash is bitter, this is absolute garbage.

Chasing history (Pete's 14 Slams) now that he's got there the competition is real, yeah they handed him those slams on a silver platter.

This man should be put in a mental institution.

Now this is a true fanatic LOL

Nadalgaenger
07-17-2011, 12:05 PM
this guy's a joke...

Would love to have watched Fed smoke this guy!

Nadalgaenger
07-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Pat Cash ==TROLL

tacou
07-17-2011, 08:18 PM
makes no sense?
the REAL test will be if Roger can win a slam when he's 40. how can we judge him if he can't even win a slam when he's 40??

adamX012
07-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Who is Pat Cash?

jackson vile
07-18-2011, 08:45 AM
makes no sense?
the REAL test will be if Roger can win a slam when he's 40. how can we judge him if he can't even win a slam when he's 40??

LOL, could not agree more :)

The Dark Knight
09-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Written last year but the points cash makes are still relevant. Interesting read.

Pat Cash questions Federer quality (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/pat-cash-questions-federer-quality/story-e6frexni-1225820392000)

When The Sunday Telegraph contacted the 44-year-old last week for his thoughts on the Australian Open, Cash was as honest and forthright as ever.

He declared the legacy of Swiss legend and world No 1 Roger Federer won't be known until he has weathered the storm he is set to face over the next three years. It's almost blasphemy in the world of tennis to question Federer's greatness, but that didn't deter Cash.

"The next couple of years is the only time he will have been challenged by more than one person," Cash said. "(Rafael) Nadal has a winning edge over him and he has it over him mentally, too.

"I think (Juan Martin) del Potro and Andy Murray are really troubling him lately and I just hope we haven't seen Federer peak when there weren't any challenges."

Pete Sampras, who saw Federer go past him at Wimbledon last year when he claimed his 15th Grand Slam title, was defined by his rivalry with Andre Agassi.

Before that, it was Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors. And in Cash's day, he battled the super Swedes, Mats Wilander and Stefan Edberg, and Ivan Lendl.

For much of his career, Federer was playing against history - trying to chase down Sampras's 14 Grand Slams. Now that he has got there, the rivals are real - and they are coming to get him.

"It doesn't really make it a fair indication of how good he really is if there hasn't been anyone really to challenge him," Cash said. "It will almost be a false impression of how good he really is.

"But I think over the next few years we'll see how good he really is. You've got to look at who you play. You can't just put a man in a boys' tournament and say, 'Wow, how good is he?'

"Because suddenly you drop another man in there and think, 'He's not as good as we thought he was'. And at the moment for me, that's what is still in question."

THE BATTLE

Federer has appeared in an unprecedented 21 Grand Slam finals and has reached the semi-finals or better of the past 22 major tournaments.

It is a record streak that spans five years. He also holds the record of reaching 10 consecutive Grand Slam finals and has appeared in 17 of the past 18. And the world No 1 has won 16 ATP Masters Series tournaments, one less than Agassi's record.

But, according to Cash, tennis fans should mark down the Australian Open of 2010 as the year the onslaught began. "Because it was a bit of a one-horse race, then a two-horse race for so long. But now I think this is a legitimate challenge there for Federer," Cash said.

"Federer really was in a league of his own for a while, partially because he's so good. He brought a different aspect to the game, but a lot of players have become accustomed to his style now and they have worked him out. "It's going to be not so easy for him any more.

"He's a sensational player and he'll continue to win big tournaments, for sure, but I don't see it as quite as freely. Nadal was injured last year, so you've got to say Federer had a bit of luck in the French Open.

"Federer's amazing because he's so fit. He stays in incredible shape all the time. There's no doubt his shot-making is one of the greatest of all time, if not the greatest. But it's easy to make shots when you're not playing against anybody of your standard.

"Now he's got other players of his standard, so, I think it will be a great challenge for him and hopefully he can stand up to it and stay fit as well."

THE RIVALS

In 2001, Cash lost a claycourt exhibition match to a then 15-year-old Nadal. He knows the Spaniard well and believes only a nagging knee injury robbed the world No 2 of solidifying the pressure on Federer.

But it's Argentine giant Juan Martin del Potro who really excites Cash. The former Australian Davis Cup hero suggested the world No 4 has the high-powered game to bring down Federer, just like he did in last year's US Open final.

"I think del Potro is a very, very good player. I heard he hurt himself this week so hopefully he'll be OK," Cash said. "I think he's a real superstar.

"I think Andy Murray is a real superstar, also (Novak) Djokovic has a lot of potential as well. He's a real danger player. So there's a handful now."

The new wave will get their crack at the master this week at the Australian Open. Last year, it was Nadal who brought down the Swiss maestro. This year, the world No 1 is facing an ambush.

Nadal whipped Cash's butt at the age of 14.

VPhuc tennis fan
09-20-2013, 10:09 AM

THE BATTLE

THE RIVALS

Wow, Pat made this statement now that Fed is 32 year old?!!! And claimed that Fed "has to weather this storm for the next 3 years to prove his greatness"?!!!
And you, The Natural, put it up as to show... what? The sheer stupidity of Pat's statements?!!!
The ironic guy in me wonders why Pat doesn't wait 2 more years before making this statement. If you have to beat the guy when he's down on 1 knee, might well wait till he's on the floor unconscious then beat him and claim that you yourself are the greatest fighter in the world, no? LOL.
As for Pat's value as a player, he won Wimby against ...who again? Lendl, that's right! Lendl, not a bad player, really, but on grass, he's nowhere to be in the same league as Becker, Edberg, Sampras and Fed, just to name a few recent champions. So a win against Lendl ON GRASS is nowhere near as impressive as the same on USO or FO. Did Pat do that?
Am I impressed with his wisdom? I let you draw your own conclusions.

The Dark Knight
09-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Wow, Pat made this statement now that Fed is 32 year old?!!! And claimed that Fed "has to weather this storm for the next 3 years to prove his greatness"?!!!
And you, The Natural, put it up as to show... what? The sheer stupidity of Pat's statements?!!!
The ironic guy in me wonders why Pat doesn't wait 2 more years before making this statement. If you have to beat the guy when he's down on 1 knee, might well wait till he's on the floor unconscious then beat him and claim that you yourself are the greatest fighter in the world, no? LOL.
As for Pat's value as a player, he won Wimby against ...who again? Lendl, that's right! Lendl, not a bad player, really, but on grass, he's nowhere to be in the same league as Becker, Edberg, Sampras and Fed, just to name a few recent champions. So a win against Lendl ON GRASS is nowhere near as impressive as the same on USO or FO. Did Pat do that?
Am I impressed with his wisdom? I let you draw your own conclusions.

The quote was made years ago

Tenez101
09-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Wow, Pat may have had a point. A few years pretty much everyone was circlejerking each other saying Fed was GOAT. Now all of a sudden Fed's all washed up an everyone expects Nadal to emerge as the real GOAT.

bluetrain4
09-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Cash is really going to town with this generation's players. Of course, he's made bold statements before about any number of tennis topics including fat women tennis players.

Maybe a bit obnoxious, but if that's what he honestly thinks, then I like that he says it -- a good foundation for discussion on TW as to what degree of merit his comments have, even if he is basically just seeking attention.

tipsa...don'tlikehim!
09-20-2013, 12:06 PM

Well, Cash may be an idiot or not, but sometimes he speaks the truth. :p

tennisaddict
09-20-2013, 02:34 PM
I seriously think Pat Cash, his wife and others in family are in this forum.

Fedinkum
09-20-2013, 03:07 PM
I seriously think Pat Cash, his wife and others in family are in this forum.

If he is not, he is perfectly qualified for this forum. Didnt he smoked pot with his buddy Wilander?

tacou
09-20-2013, 03:26 PM
So we can't say he was good, because he was so good that no one could beat him. Now that he's not as good, we can finally say he's not as good as we thought he was when he was so good!

The Dark Knight
09-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Well, Cash may be an idiot or not, but sometimes he speaks the truth. :p

That's because he speaks out if both sides of his mouth.

One side will be true while the other is false