PDA

View Full Version : Todd Martin at it again!

timeisonmyside
06-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Todd Martin teaching a young Thai player how to serve. Poor kid. He's going to develop a shot put serve a la 2010 Novak.

Seriously, how is this guy still getting coaching gigs?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EDcP6kFcEg&feature=related

Harry_Wild
06-12-2011, 01:17 AM
If Todd can improve that person serve and move him up the tour ladder; what difference does it make?

kishnabe
06-12-2011, 03:22 AM
The thai will mess his serve up, then find his old sere after he wins DC. Then undergo gluten reduction therapy to come back and rock the tour for 6 months becoming the number one challenger tour ranked player!

Bobby Jr
06-12-2011, 03:30 AM
Ahhh. That video reminded me of something funny I noticed a few times when playing tennis in Thailand. Basically, countries like Thailand are magnets for outside 'experts' who, by their own country's standards, are incompetent or plain clueless. The place it teeming with them - sports coaches, advertising suits, brand gurus etc.

That club/organisation obviously knows better and has tried to get someone with cred in to help.

Hood_Man
06-12-2011, 03:35 AM
Has Todd Martin really been far as decided to use shot put serve even go want to do look more like?

stringertom
06-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Has Todd Martin really been far as decided to use shot put serve even go want to do look more like?

English please!

li0scc0
06-12-2011, 07:45 AM

Random word generator?

Speranza
06-12-2011, 07:50 AM

Watson: Once bitten, twice.... ;)

Mainad
06-12-2011, 08:05 AM

That looks like an on-line Babelfish translation or something.I've given up trying to understand what it means! :confused:

firefox
06-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Todd is doing this kid a favor by weakening his serve, so the kid will focus more on developing a fearsome ground game for the next year, just like what he did to Nole. Same game plan. The kid will then discover the power of Thai Spice diet, and overtake DY as the king of challenger circuit. :twisted:

Bjorn99
06-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Was Todd Martin responsible for creating that funny looking serve of Nole's a while back?

That is so surprising, as Martin himself had a horrible serve to get back. It was great, and relaxed.

gsharma
06-12-2011, 08:58 AM
English please!

Lol...10 char

slice bh compliment
06-12-2011, 09:07 AM

If watch us whole vid, see Martin demo goot dechnique. Not Todd blame for Nole ack of rkt drop phase. Nole blame.

Sirawit, have wit, do right, Todd help. Use spearyence from 2 gran slam fynel. Mrs. Martin not raise no dummy.

Abbreviated takeback isolate left launch, so dat wut ToTT Mardin want to say.

He complain of neck pain in clip begginING, then hit into net.

Sorry fo my English. I just trying to do my best to fit in round here.

tennisisfun
06-12-2011, 09:11 AM
The kid needs to get Paradorn Srichaphan to coach him. Paradorn v2.0 would be nice on tour.

timeisonmyside
06-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Todd is doing this kid a favor by weakening his serve, so the kid will focus more on developing a fearsome ground game for the next year, just like what he did to Nole. Same game plan. The kid will then discover the power of Thai Spice diet, and overtake DY as the king of challenger circuit. :twisted:

What a genius Todd Martin is. Kind of like when someone goes blind, their other senses become much more sensitive to make up for it.

timeisonmyside
06-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Ahhh. That video reminded me of something funny I noticed a few times when playing tennis in Thailand. Basically, countries like Thailand are magnets for outside 'experts' who, by their own country's standards, are incompetent or plain clueless. The place it teeming with them - sports coaches, advertising suits, brand gurus etc.

That club/organisation obviously knows better and has tried to get someone with cred in to help.

I was agreeing with the first paragraph. But then your final sentence seems to suggest Todd Martin has real cred. I doubt it, otherwise he'd get a gig with the USTA.

Pwned
06-12-2011, 10:47 AM

lol. And lol at the people who haven't seen that before.

firefox
06-12-2011, 11:05 AM
What a genius Todd Martin is. Kind of like when someone goes blind, their other senses become much more sensitive to make up for it.

Exactly! Todd's next project is to redirect Pova's extreme shrieking into better serves.

stringertom
06-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Exactly! Todd's next project is to redirect Pova's extreme shrieking into better serves.

Perhaps Mr. Martin could help cook up better predictions for our beloved FordStan intelligento!...

FA: I really blew it picking Fed to lose early throughout the Euroclay. Help me restore TT-cred, Todd!

TM: Oh, that's an easy one...tell everyone Wimby final will be an all-Mallorcan affair...I've been working on Moya's serve and it's going so well he's coming out of retirement to qualie at AELTC and hopes to break Isner's record for most aces in a match. Chalk flying at 135+MPH! It's a weapon of mass destruction.

ci2ca
06-12-2011, 02:30 PM
I don't blame Todd MArtin working on that kid's serve. It looks terrible lol.

Carolina Racquet
06-12-2011, 03:35 PM
From the video, it looks like Martin is trying to help the kid get a more pronounced shoulder tilt, which is certainly a good thing.

If I recall, Nole's problem with the serve was a stiff, straightened arm during the motion which robbed him of racquethead speed, not to mention some good old fashioned serving yips.

I don't think Martin or anyone would teach that... and from the video, he's not.

timeisonmyside
06-15-2011, 02:46 PM
When talking about Nole's serve, pmac really tiptoes around the subject, going to great pains not to diss Martin. But obviously, since he's teaching in Thailand, USTA doesn't want to hire him.

sureshs
06-15-2011, 03:07 PM
When talking about Nole's serve, pmac really tiptoes around the subject, going to great pains not to diss Martin. But obviously, since he's teaching in Thailand, USTA doesn't want to hire him.

Retired US expats are still in big demand in SE Asia. Plenty of them hanging around in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand etc doing management consultancy type of stuff. Usually, they are spotted at more upscale bars with a young local girl in tow. Beats surviving on a fixed income and Medicare.

timeisonmyside
06-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Retired US expats are still in big demand in SE Asia. Plenty of them hanging around in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand etc doing management consultancy type of stuff. Usually, they are spotted at more upscale bars with a young local girl in tow. Beats surviving on a fixed income and Medicare.

That seems like a really good gig especially if you are a "disgraced" US expat. If you can't get a job in your home country, move to SE Asia, where they don't really know about your history, or don't care because you're probably the best compared to what they have.

Then you get to be a superstar, enjoy the lower cost of living, and flirt with the local ladies because you are "exotic."

sureshs
06-15-2011, 03:51 PM
That seems like a really good gig especially if you are a "disgraced" US expat. If you can't get a job in your home country, move to SE Asia, where they don't really know about your history, or don't care because you're probably the best compared to what they have.

Then you get to be a superstar, enjoy the lower cost of living, and flirt with the local ladies because you are "exotic."

So many have done it. It is more difficult now, because locals also know English and have access to the same technology and education. The way it works is this: guy is a mid to high level manager and retires from the US, he knows what it takes to run the show in an industry in his field and has good communication skills, takes it overseas, also serves as liasion for the Asian company to get more contracts, discovers others doing the same, hooks up, gets more work, teaches courses, arranges for his retirement benefits to be available remotely, and hangs out in the bars in the evenings impressing the locals with tall stories.

Often, they get contracts paying for yearly travel back home. Then, they spend a month telling their old buddies tall stories of their exploits abroad.

Dubai is another place for that. All the top visible positions are occupied by UK, European and US expats, and the next tier come the expat Indians, etc. Even in tennis at the resorts.

timeisonmyside
06-15-2011, 04:17 PM
You sound like you have some experience with this, sureshs.

sureshs
06-15-2011, 04:20 PM
You sound like you have some experience with this, sureshs.

No, I just know these things because I spend some time in Singapore every year.