PDA

View Full Version : Wimbeldon surface or U.S open surface which is faster??

tusharlovesrafa
06-11-2011, 11:45 PM
I want to know which surface place fast...I have red many ppl say that now U.S open is faster now...Pls enlighten me on this...

Murrayfan31
06-11-2011, 11:49 PM
US Open suits bigger hitting. The balls are lighter and less friendly to spin. It is also truer bouncing. Whether it is faster, I don't know. But it is definitely more enjoyable to watch compared to Wimbledon.

Zildite
06-11-2011, 11:55 PM
There is probably that official court speed rating somewhere but Wimbledon has more aces and TB sets than the US Open and a higher ratio of forced to unforced errors, which points towards faster court speed I guess. Also the bounce could be factored in.
http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~cross/GrandSlamStatistics.htm
Usually seems like the rallies are a lot shorter at Wimbledon too.

Bryan Swartz
06-12-2011, 02:09 AM
The question is really too simplistic to be answered accurately. Wimbledon is faster vertically, USO is faster horizontally.

tusharlovesrafa
06-12-2011, 02:14 AM
The question is really too simplistic to be answered accurately. Wimbledon is faster vertically, USO is faster horizontally.

can u elaborate more on these terms?:)...How can it be scentifically possible??

Murrayfan31
06-12-2011, 02:17 AM
can u elaborate more on these terms?:)...How can it be scentifically possible??
Means the ball bounces lower at Wimbledon and thus reaches 2 bounces quicker. While the ball bounces at the US Open higher but also goes through the court quicker.

tusharlovesrafa
06-12-2011, 02:19 AM
Means the ball bounces lower at Wimbledon and thus reaches 2 bounces quicker. While the ball bounces at the US Open higher but also goes through the court quicker.

thnx that seems logical conclusion it seems...:)

Li Ching Yuen
06-12-2011, 03:00 AM
Wimbledon is more generous to serving than US Open due to the nature of the grass that takes the paciest shots hit on a tennis court (the serves) better than any other surface.

Other than that, USO is faster no doubt.

tata
06-12-2011, 05:07 AM
i prefer watching rallies at the US than wimby. they seem more exciting and seems to have a better 'pop' sound to it than outdoors on grass

Tammo
06-12-2011, 05:13 AM
USO is faster because when I try to play outside on my lawn the ball doesn't bounce.:)

piece
06-12-2011, 05:22 AM
i prefer watching rallies at the US than wimby. they seem more exciting and seems to have a better 'pop' sound to it than outdoors on grass

There's nothing quite like the sound of the ball off the racquet at the USO:)

nothingfails
06-12-2011, 12:39 PM
It's not so much about the speed. The bounce is way slower at Wimbledon (grass). That's what you need to know.

nothingfails
06-12-2011, 12:41 PM
It's not so much about the speed. The bounce is way slower at Wimbledon (grass). That's what you need to know.

oops. I mean "lower".

Lsmkenpo
06-12-2011, 01:50 PM
US Open is faster in court speed but also allows players to cut and react faster in terms of movement than a grass court.

Returning serve on grass is harder because the court pace is similar to a medium fast HC in speed, but the movement and reaction of the player is slowed by the surface footing.