PDA

View Full Version : This may be a repeat...

thedarkONE
06-28-2005, 01:36 PM
Hello guys. I was just thinking how convenient it would be to have a forum where you can post questions about tennis only.
Well, I saw the link on the TW page 20 hrs. later than I should have. :mad:
'Sways, I seem to have a game that is not suited to any particular racquet. I
-have sometimes short, powerful swings from the baseline
-play the net very aggressively &
-have a hard serve (an overhead paddle style. But this could be because of my racquet. Don't ask me what series, but all I know is that I call it, or them since I have 2 of the same acquistion, my Meijer specials. Which one is completely dead (a Pro Kennex)and the other sends my shots going a mile away without even having to do anything but stand there and let it bouce off the racquet:shock: (Prince Boost, Boom, or some'in like that. The frame makes an awful noise when you hit off of it. It seems to vibrate like crazy.Though it didn't do that at first. Some of my teammates say that it gives too much.) I'm not particularly impressed with my slice or topspin shots at the moment, but when they get better, I would like to incorporate them into my game. All I know is that I would like the following out of my racquet:
-a large sweetspot
-control (which should've been first actually), control, and more control
-power to a point. I can provide an ample amt. of power to my ground and overhead shots I see. &
-length. I'm 5'3, so this comes in handy for my reach at net play. I love to get the ball out of the air close to the net.
From what I've been reading here at TW, I seem almost suited to a power or game improvement racquet. The problem is, I also seem to have aspects geared toward the control or player's racquets, and the tweener racquets don't seem to match me quite as much as I would like. Since I'm in no postion to format my own racquet, I need to find one that fits my game. No more cheap knockoffs; I now have started my first league play (2.5) after years of teetering back and forth with no access to the game, and now need a racquet that says I'm here to stay! Can anyone give me some kinda of clue that will help me on my way???? I'd appreciate any feedback I could get. Thank you!!!!! :)

Gaines Hillix
06-28-2005, 02:31 PM
I'd recommend demoing several racquets and I assume you have a tennis shop in your area that has a demo program. I'd start with a MP sized frame(98-102 in. head) that weighs 11-11.5 ozs. Stay away from Hammer type frames that are head heavy. Look for ones that have a flex rating of around 65-67. An example is a PK Laver Type S or
SX. Also try some racquets that are lighter and heavier than this. At 5'3" you may not have the srtength to play long sets with a heavier racquet, but you should still try at least one. If you can't demo racquets locally, TW has a mail order demo program that only charges for the postage.

thedarkONE
07-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Thanks for replying. I'm going to take this info to my club and see if they have anything, and so on. Finding a racuet isn't very easy!!! :o

ambro
07-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Yonex RDX 500 MP sounds about right for you, except the length part. It's only standard 27". Huge sweetspot for a MP though.

ptuananh
07-02-2005, 12:23 AM
Well, if u live in USA, demo raquets with TW but u have to pay for the postal cost.