PDA

View Full Version : Wreck my racquet?

baselinebrawler
06-28-2005, 02:37 PM
If the recommended tension on my racquet is 57 lbs could I seriously mess up my racquet by stringing above the recommended tension? If not then how much tighter can I string the racquet?

TennsDog
06-28-2005, 04:24 PM
At least 10 lbs. I not to long ago strung my racket 8 lbs over, and last year, 10 lbs over. I have heard of other people stringing at least 10 lbs over as well. However, it probably makes a difference what the racket is how it will be affected by higher tensions.

Gaines Hillix
06-28-2005, 05:56 PM
I agree with TennsDog, but it depends on the racquet. Head racquets are more fragile. So are some of the Yonex racquets with the flat top. It also depends on the machine you're stringing on. A very good frame mount is needed if you're going to try this.

hummer23
06-28-2005, 06:03 PM
a few pounds, 3-5 shouldnt be a problem for any frame, however more tahtn taht for frames that are widebody and very metal walls, prince hornet type frames, you dotn want to try that for, but frames that are thicker, and more solid, like wilson hps 6.1's you can go even higher up the range if you want. be sure that you really wan to raise tension that much, becasue it isnt too good for youra rm, and it sometimes kills the posotive aspectof a string to have it strung too tightly. if you are looking for control, maybe try a less powerful frame, or a more stiff string so it wont pocket the ball as much.

LoveThisGame
06-28-2005, 06:03 PM
If one feels the need to string 10 lbs. over max tension range, the real question is why the need.

If the purpose is to "deaden" the stringbed in order to keep the ball in the court, there's a pretty good likelihood that one is playing with the wrong racquet.

Steve Huff
06-28-2005, 08:57 PM
Like Gaines said, "it depends on the racket". A lot of the lightweight, oversized rackets have very thin-walled graphite construction. I wouldn't string a Yonex too much over recommended tension either.

diredesire
06-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Again, to reiterate it really depends on the racquet, i personally don't think (m)any racquet(s) is/are going to break right off the bat from stringing it 10 over, but the thing is racquets slowly weaken (the graphite fibers slowly break down), and if you string it much higher over the "recommended" tension range, you are speeding up that process. If you don't expect on keeping your racquet more than a year or two, i'd encourage you to go for it if you know you are stringing/being strung on a solid machine with a good mounting system. If you are playing a lightweight racquet, i suggest against it, as the walls are typically very thin on the construction, and the effects of high tensions are seen VERY quickly (in my experience). Just know the racquet's fibers are weakening at a much more rapid pace, and the racquet may not feel the same as it does right now in the near future (a few months maybe), with all these precautionary things said, i think it is blown a little bit out of proportion, although i wouldn't exactly recommend it ;D

baselinebrawler
06-29-2005, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. Once again the message boards come through.