PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous scenes at Queen's club

christos_liaskos
06-13-2011, 03:26 AM
When tickets went on sale for the rescheduled Monday final they sold out in an hour. 1500 tickets were held back to be sold on the morning of the final and the queue seemed to be 1000's long from what I've just seen on TV.

I always find myself bringing up this subject every year about how the crowds at Wimbledon, and Queen's for that matter, are so much better than the other slams and tournaments. Other stadiums around the world are always empty whereas Wimbledon Center Court and the grounds are always packed at 12pm from day 1.

People always come up with the excuse that the public are at work and that is why the stadiums are empty at the start of the tournament. Well today's Monday final hasn't been an excuse for the British public not to turn up in their thousands to watch this match, as it wasn't all the way through from last Monday at the start of the tournament, with the stands being packed every day.

(Before anyone mentions it, no Wimbledon and Queen's are not during the school holidays so that is not the reason these stadiums are always packed.)

Thud and blunder
06-13-2011, 05:11 AM
Skivers!

10 chars

FedEx23
06-13-2011, 06:09 AM
Every grand slam should be in the UK. One for each territory- England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales. It would be rain delay-free.

Manus Domini
06-13-2011, 09:31 AM
they're countries, not territories...

gavna
06-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Well first off Queens seats what 7000 maybe? so getting a sellout for a final with a top Brit (and 2 very popular players) really not a big deal. Do you really think that if Queens had the same final as Gerry Weber (2 Germans both not even ranked in the top 40) you would have had the "thousands" in queue for the withheld seats?

As for Wimbledon that's such a special event it should be sold out for every match. I will tell you from my trips there during the first week the centre court and even the outside courts are NOT always full. I've been to 20 of the last 24 Wimbledon's and sat thru a few match with only 60 to 75% of the seats taken.

Still Wimby is Wimby and the place does get packed.

gavna
06-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Every grand slam should be in the UK. One for each Territory- England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales.

Ahhh our American edumacation system at work.