PDA

View Full Version : Is Andy Murray the Lebron James of Tennis?

GOAT BAAH!!!
06-13-2011, 04:49 PM
extremely talented

choker

unrealized potential

poor attitude in tight situations

slayed by media for bottling his chances

still doesn't have a chip

?

pug
06-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Not even close. I wouldn't watch James play if I got free courtside tickets. Murray is one of my favorite players to watch, and seems like a decent chap.

Pwned
06-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Not even close. I wouldn't watch James play if I got free courtside tickets. Murray is one of my favorite players to watch, and seems like a decent chap.

Ditto...except for the second part.

AM95
06-13-2011, 05:16 PM
no, murray is just unlucky.

he lost to federer in two straight GS finals, and then lost to a on-fire djokovic.

Tony48
06-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Well I'm from Cleveland and I despise both of them. I would love for them both to retire without a major title :twisted:

stringertom
06-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Unless you're in the UK, the hype level for Murray has never even approached the LeBronmania here in the U.S. Murray never made the self-proclamations James is famous for. I wouldn't mind Murray cashing in on a major title. I hope James never gets a ring because he embodies every thing wrong about the modern team sports athlete.

TMF
06-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Well I'm from Cleveland and I despise both of them. I would love for them both to retire without a major title :twisted:

Of course you don't like James if you are in Cleveland. He took his talents to South Beach instead. That's why.

Glory Hunters Anonymous
06-13-2011, 06:35 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/731926/qqsac_medium.jpg

Lebron has the hairline title.

boris becker 1
06-13-2011, 06:51 PM
murray isnt full of himself and is pretty humble.

he isnt in the press or self promoting... he has turned down so many endorsement deals.

BrooklynNY
06-13-2011, 06:57 PM
This was my tweet, and then greg couch RTed it

Tennis_Monk
06-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Murray and Lebron ...day and night. Lebron still thinks he is ....Roger Federer of basketball (alright...Michael Jordon) even though he has no rings. he hardly respects people or players that are already accomplished (eg:Kobe)

Murray doesnt think that way. He knows he was ways to go to be like Michal Jordon of tennis (alright...Federer/Nadal)

martini1
06-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Murray is still largely supported in the UK. LeBron is a laughing stock in the States, even in Miami.

NadalAgassi
06-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Definitely not. Lebron is arguably the best player in the World the last several years despite his failures to live up to many peoples expectations or lead a team to a Championship. Obviously the same isnt true on the other side.

SirGounder
06-13-2011, 10:42 PM
I think the 2 situations are completely different. Murray is very close but hasn't quite broken through that final barrier the way Djokovic has.

Lebron is considered to be the best all around player in the NBA and acts like it. He made a huge spectacle of his "decision" and turned his back on this hometown.

Both players are close to winning it all, but choked. However, I don't believe I have ever seen Murray be arrogant like Lebron.

Big_Dangerous
06-13-2011, 11:45 PM
extremely talented

choker

unrealized potential

poor attitude in tight situations

slayed by media for bottling his chances

still doesn't have a chip

?

Murray isn't really a choker, I mean come he was never favored to win any Grand Slam Final he played in. The Heat were favored to beat Dallas. Granted Murray hasn't looked like he's given his best effort in GS Finals and neither has James, but that's probably the only similarity you can make. Also, Murray has never been dubbed "The King" or referred to himself as such. He's also never been labeled as the best player to step onto the court, plus Murray isn't an arrogant piece of trash either. Additionally, tennis is really an individual sport whereas Basketball is a team sport, so it's really hard to make that comparison anyway.

Also, Murray has several Masters series titles in which he had to go through Fedal. So at least he can say he's won some tournaments and beaten the best players, unlike James who all he has are All-Star appearances and a few MVP's.

Plus Murray never went an attacked people who "rooted against" him.

Murray is a likable guy who, who handles himself pretty well in interviews.

James is an arrogant ***** who can't give a decent interview to save his life.

That's the difference.

batz
06-14-2011, 01:11 AM
Nice to see that guys like Davey/NadalAgassi are in a small but vocal minority wrt Murray.

DjokovicForTheWin
06-14-2011, 04:16 AM
LeBron is black.

jonnythan
06-14-2011, 04:19 AM
This year was the first year James was on a team that actually had a shot, and he got within 2 games of the championship.

PSNELKE
06-14-2011, 04:43 AM
LeBron is black.

And you are an idiot.

Totai
06-14-2011, 04:50 AM
This year was the first year James was on a team that actually had a shot, and he got within 2 games of the championship.

Are you kidding? The heat were so stacked, its unfair. Does James really need an even better supporting cast than he does now to win a championship? Maybe the other team should just tie their hands behind their backs and try to play basketball with their heads in order to assist Lebron in getting a ring. The sad thing is that he would probably choke that away too.

Murray > Lebron

martini1
06-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Definitely not. Lebron is arguably the best player in the World the last several years despite his failures to live up to many peoples expectations or lead a team to a Championship. Obviously the same isnt true on the other side.

I have reservations on that. Basketball is a team sport. Individual talent is important but it is not everything. Players like Jordan, Magic, Bird, and Kobe, etc could elevate his team to a higher level when needed. LeBron got nothing in that department during the Mavs series. He did a few good plays but pretty much stepped away from the leading role when needed. It was almost like he was just there to ride along. This kind of performance is no way "best in the world".

Btw, even if he did well in a game here and there, it will never be enough. He is far from being a great player. Had he got a triple double in the last game I think people won't bash him as much.

And no, I have never been a cavs fan so this is not about him moving to Miami.

On that regard tennis players are often associated with their nationality. Like Roddick is supported by Americans even though he hasn't been winning a slam since Fed took over. But Roddick is the #1 American player for a very long time. And he deserves some respect and support. Same goes with any country's #1 player.

amx13
06-14-2011, 08:28 AM
Dont think so...Murray would have to be named the most talented player on the ATP(wich I think he is far from) and be hated as Nadal, Federer and Djokovic combined to be in the same league of LeBron

jackson vile
06-14-2011, 08:32 AM

Why are people from Cleveland and others so sour about LeBron going to Miami?

amx13
06-14-2011, 08:38 AM
I guess its the way he did it...no one blame him for chasing a championship...but taking the easy way out looking for a couple of all stars to carry you to the promise land, making a one hour TV special to announce it, showing up in the arena like they had actually won something...and then dissing everyone out after he lost the series

stringertom
06-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Why are people from Cleveland and others so sour about LeBron going to Miami?

Many sports fans, Cleveland-based or not, like their heroes to address their weaknesses and overcome them. LeFraud chose to do neither. This is not the first time he failed to produce in the clutch. His Cavs were swept in the Finals, lost to Orlando and then to Boston before he gave up and fled to Miami. Cleveland bent over backwards to accomodate him...roster changes, coaching changes, special rules for his entourage. Instead of talking Bosh and/or Wade to come join him in Cleveland, he went all Benedict Arnold on his home town/state and flashed&brashed his "decision" on national TV, then followed it up with the over-the-top welcome party.

The bottom line is the guy believes he is the beginning and end of basketball. He has nothing to back that claim up with, and I hope he never does. MJ stuck it out in Chicago and learned how to modify his game in order to win rings once he had a decent supporting cast. That's a King!

jackson vile
06-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Many sports fans, Cleveland-based or not, like their heroes to address their weaknesses and overcome them. LeFraud chose to do neither. This is not the first time he failed to produce in the clutch. His Cavs were swept in the Finals, lost to Orlando and then to Boston before he gave up and fled to Miami. Cleveland bent over backwards to accomodate him...roster changes, coaching changes, special rules for his entourage. Instead of talking Bosh and/or Wade to come join him in Cleveland, he went all Benedict Arnold on his home town/state and flashed&brashed his "decision" on national TV, then followed it up with the over-the-top welcome party.

The bottom line is the guy believes he is the beginning and end of basketball. He has nothing to back that claim up with, and I hope he never does. MJ stuck it out in Chicago and learned how to modify his game in order to win rings once he had a decent supporting cast. That's a King!

To me it seems Cleveland had it's chances and failed, also if LeBron is that bad why be so sour he left the team? One thing I can't help but notice is the fact that Cleveland did much worse without LeBron than with.

Also MJ did not have to wait long and had access to arguably the best coach in basketball history.

With that said I 100% LeBron is no MJ, but no one ever will be. Some argue that MJ was not even that good of a player.

jackson vile
06-14-2011, 09:12 AM
I guess its the way he did it...no one blame him for chasing a championship...but taking the easy way out looking for a couple of all stars to carry you to the promise land, making a one hour TV special to announce it, showing up in the arena like they had actually won something...and then dissing everyone out after he lost the series

Shaq left to join Kobe and then Wade, I don't remember people saying he was taking the easy way out. The one hour TV special was there because people wanted to see it, it is not like they forced people to view this, and forced sponsors to pay them.

As for the dissing, I find it strange that people believe that it is 100% ok for them to spit venom at someone who's life choices is none of their business, but get angry when their venom is addressed.

LeBron's choice was correct, Miami took him farther to a ring than Cleveland ever could or would.

Would people rather he end up like Vince Carter and his cuz Tracy, hell there are so many players that literally gave their lives to their teams and never got a ring. Was that really worth it if their #1 goal is a ring???

jdubbs
06-14-2011, 09:16 AM
I think the Murray -Lebron thing is a pretty good analogy.

Both are super talented and have dominated at times. Both are a bit of a crybaby and can't win the big one.

And I think by the time it's all said and done, each will have 2-3 championships -Murray will break through at Wimby or the US Open, and Lebron will win the NBA title.

Losing is all part of the process.

NadalAgassi
06-14-2011, 10:17 AM
I have reservations on that. Basketball is a team sport. Individual talent is important but it is not everything. Players like Jordan, Magic, Bird, and Kobe, etc could elevate his team to a higher level when needed. LeBron got nothing in that department during the Mavs series. He did a few good plays but pretty much stepped away from the leading role when needed. It was almost like he was just there to ride along. This kind of performance is no way "best in the world".

Btw, even if he did well in a game here and there, it will never be enough. He is far from being a great player. Had he got a triple double in the last game I think people won't bash him as much.

And no, I have never been a cavs fan so this is not about him moving to Miami.

On that regard tennis players are often associated with their nationality. Like Roddick is supported by Americans even though he hasn't been winning a slam since Fed took over. But Roddick is the #1 American player for a very long time. And he deserves some respect and support. Same goes with any country's #1 player.

If he isnt the best player in the World today who is. The guys you mentioned are either retired or old. I didnt say he was the best ever, he is far from that and quite overhyped by those who said he would be the next Jordan.

jonnythan
06-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Larry Bird lost twice in the NBA Finals.

asafi2
06-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Shaq left to join Kobe and then Wade, I don't remember people saying he was taking the easy way out. The one hour TV special was there because people wanted to see it, it is not like they forced people to view this, and forced sponsors to pay them.

Lol what? Kobe wasn't even a starter when Shaq joined the lakers and had already won 3 rings and was out of his prime when he joined D wade (who was only in his third year...).

stringertom
06-14-2011, 11:12 AM
To me it seems Cleveland had it's chances and failed, also if LeBron is that bad why be so sour he left the team? One thing I can't help but notice is the fact that Cleveland did much worse without LeBron than with.

Also MJ did not have to wait long and had access to arguably the best coach in basketball history.

With that said I 100% LeBron is no MJ, but no one ever will be. Some argue that MJ was not even that good of a player.

Didn't have to wait long? The Bulls and MJ tried to bust through the door to a championship from 1985 through 1991. First the Celtics beat them twice and then the Pistons three times before they made it. MJ didn't quit on his team or adopted city. He improved his team game, passing more, "D"-ing more and scoring when he could. No more 63-point explosions that still led to defeats.

As to the coach, Phil Jackson was a totally unproven commodity when handed the reins in Chicago. At first, he was just another piece of the package that led to the titles. MJ showed patience, let the front office add pieces (Pippen, HGrant), and matured alongside the others. LeFraud did none of the above. Six rings vs. zero. Which would you prefer?

In your other post, you claim nobody complained when Shaq left to join Kobe. Obviously, you weren't living in Orlando FL at the time. Shaq jettisoned the Magic for much different reasons...a thirst for Hollywood fame. Kobe was not a factor in his decision, one many feel was determined before Shaq ever suited up in a Magic uni. I live in Orlando and saw the whole shamisode take place. D12 is now contemplating his sequel version of Shaqexodus and there's nothing the Magic front office can do except try and get "fair" trade value for him. There is a pox on small-market teams and it has to do with the massive egos the supposed superstars carry as baggage. The Mavs' success at least temporarily removes the sting of said egoism.

gramdacious
06-14-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't think so. LeBron was "the chosen one" right out of high school and even had his high school games televised nationally. Murray was never hyped near that much and talent for talent LeBron is unmatched compared to the rest of the field. Murray is definitely not.

That being said I do agree with the list of characteristics that OP said they shared...

zagor
06-14-2011, 02:11 PM
That depends on is Andy Murray the chosen one?

RCizzle65
06-14-2011, 04:03 PM
I still don't know why people are burning jerseys and everything about Lebron, yeah the hour long TV special was stupid and arrogant, but his decision wasn't. He spent 7 years trying to carry a whole team, and he hasn't done enough for Clevland? I don't really watch basketball, and I'm by no means a Lebron fan, I think he's really arrogant, but I still think people throwing out the "he wasn't faithful to our town" crap is stupid

tacou
06-14-2011, 04:48 PM
I still don't know why people are burning jerseys and everything about Lebron, yeah the hour long TV special was stupid and arrogant, but his decision wasn't. He spent 7 years trying to carry a whole team, and he hasn't done enough for Clevland? I don't really watch basketball, and I'm by no means a Lebron fan, I think he's really arrogant, but I still think people throwing out the "he wasn't faithful to our town" crap is stupid

I personally, living just 20mins outside Boston, would dream of playing for the Celtics at the TD Garden. playing for another team would just make no sense to me

however, that's me. I respect a guy wanting a ring. but he left his hometown, why would he rub that in their face with a TV special? because he wanted to see how big the ratings were? Idk its a dick move

jonnythan
06-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Cleveland isn't his hometown.

martini1
06-14-2011, 06:28 PM
If he isnt the best player in the World today who is. The guys you mentioned are either retired or old. I didnt say he was the best ever, he is far from that and quite overhyped by those who said he would be the next Jordan.

Kobe is a better player, just by the leadership alone. There you go. And even if you disagree Wade is much better than James this past post season. James is all hype.

norbac
06-14-2011, 07:01 PM
And you are an idiot.

I have to agree with DjokovicFTW here, I also think Lebron is black.

Bhagi Katbamna
06-14-2011, 07:01 PM
I personally, living just 20mins outside Boston, would dream of playing for the Celtics at the TD Garden. playing for another team would just make no sense to me

however, that's me. I respect a guy wanting a ring. but he left his hometown, why would he rub that in their face with a TV special? because he wanted to see how big the ratings were? Idk its a dick move

You think that now. However, when you are actually in a position to make a lot more money playing for another team while realizing that your career could be over tomorrow or in a very short time, you might make a decision to play for another team.

Some PR hack that works for the agency that represents Le Baron(as my father pronounces his name) should have stopped that egotistical anouncement special.

Tennis_Monk
06-14-2011, 07:15 PM

There is this guy who goes by the name Dirk Nowitzki. He hasnt done much lately but happened to play well in about 100 odd matches this season. Normally no big deal but happened to make some serious clutch plays and basically got his teams back and btw won a little known year end tournament called NBA championship.

Best Players often display characteristics that ultimately result in championship. One of the key characteristics....instilling fear in an opponent so that they dont mess with you.

check this link..
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_lebron_james_nba_finals_game5_061011

The exact quotes....

"James won’t get mad, and James won’t get even and make people pay a price. When opposing players hear people insist they ought to be respectful of James out of fear of retribution – be careful they don’t stir him with words – they privately giggle.

“Different guys are different,” Stevenson told Yahoo! Sports in a corner of the Mavericks’ locker room Thursday night. “Kobe Bryant feeds off stuff like that. He looks for it every time. LeBron’s a different kind of person. Obviously he’s a freak of nature, able to do a lot of things, but everybody in this league is built different.”

Built differently. Translated: Where’s the killer within?"

NadalAgassi
06-14-2011, 07:56 PM
I guess it all depends on criteria. LeBron James has won the MVP 2 of the last 3 seasons and while I dont follow the NBA as much since the dominance of the of the San Antonia Spurzzzzzz a few years back turned me off it somewhat I think he has had the best regular season stats of anyone. Of course in the past he didnt have the team to win in the playoffs but this year he did in spades and still blew it. So yeah come to think of it more he probably shouldnt be considered the best player in the NBA if he had been, after this years playoffs.

So for those who feel Kobe, Wade, and Dirk are all better than LeBron James right now, or some different combination of 2-4 players, I guess in that case he could be called the Murray equivalent in the NBA. Except the hype around Murray (as excessive as it also is at times) never went as far as on LeBron James. Nobody ever touted Murray as the future best ever, which LeBron James was touted by many as the guy who was going to displace Michael Jordan, LOL!

Either way we seem to all agree on one thing. LeBron James is even more overhyped than Andy Murray, and both are chokers in big games.

LeBron is considered by many (even who dont overhype him) as the most talented player currently in the NBA as well. So for those who feel he isnt the best or isnt even close to it, then he is much more an underachiever than Murray who while expected to win major titles isnt really expected to be #1.

Defcon
06-14-2011, 11:09 PM

Results are all that matters.

Defcon
06-14-2011, 11:13 PM
And btw, team sports are a complete joke compared to individual accomplishments. I know here in the US people love NFL, NBA etc which are as much about the coach and predefined strategies as performance on the field. I respect tennis 10x more.

stringertom
06-14-2011, 11:53 PM
You think that now. However, when you are actually in a position to make a lot more money playing for another team while realizing that your career could be over tomorrow or in a very short time, you might make a decision to play for another team.

Some PR hack that works for the agency that represents Le Baron(as my father pronounces his name) should have stopped that egotistical anouncement special.

Your suggestion that LeFraud earned more money by going to Miami is false...the NBA has it rigged to give max money to free agents willing to stay with their existing teams. LeFraud took a paycut to take his "talents" to South Beach.

LetsGoRoddick
06-15-2011, 05:18 AM
As a big time NBA fan, the similarities are there. But you have to remember, that James's attitude is the big difference here. He can be very immature at times, whereas Murray is much more composed and gracious in defeat.

Clay lover
06-15-2011, 06:11 AM
I think James is and will be a greater player than Murray ever will be in their respective sports, but I may be wrong.

kishnabe
06-15-2011, 08:05 AM
Murray will win a slam.....Le Bron can only hope to win a nba final! Too bad he wasn't with the Heat in 06.

jaggy
06-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Although Murray has an annoying habit of screaming at his entourage when the other guy hits a great shot I think he does a great job of being a reasonable loser and acknowledging his opponents achievements when he loses.

LeBron is an ***, probably cannot help it if you are hyped up for so long but he needs to learn humility.

stringertom
06-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Murray will win a slam.....Le Bron can only hope to win a nba final! Too bad he wasn't with the Heat in 06.

It's too bad because LeDirk would have two rings now. Champions rise to the occasion...LeFraud, you're no champion!

CCNM
06-15-2011, 02:16 PM
From what I've seen Andy M doesn't seem as "stuck-up" as LeBron.

iMpro
06-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Are you kidding? The heat were so stacked, its unfair. Does James really need an even better supporting cast than he does now to win a championship? Maybe the other team should just tie their hands behind their backs and try to play basketball with their heads in order to assist Lebron in getting a ring. The sad thing is that he would probably choke that away too.

Murray > Lebron

Haha! When Andy fails, he wouldn't blame other people which I'm sure peppermint bron bron does

Feņa14
06-16-2011, 12:27 AM
The sportsman most like LeBron?

Roberto LuBrongo! :)

iMpro
06-16-2011, 07:37 AM
The sportsman most like LeBron?

Roberto LuBrongo! :)

Yeah you're right, Luongo blew that entire series for Vancouver, bigger choke than the Heat.

Bhagi Katbamna
06-16-2011, 09:04 AM
Your suggestion that LeFraud earned more money by going to Miami is false...the NBA has it rigged to give max money to free agents willing to stay with their existing teams. LeFraud took a paycut to take his "talents" to South Beach.

Really? Is there some other way that Miami is giving him money to get around the salary cap?

gramdacious
06-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Really? Is there some other way that Miami is giving him money to get around the salary cap?

Not really, at least not directly. But he has so many endorsements however that it makes up for difference I suspect. Plus he probably concluded that his "marketability" is better in Miami (glam, gliz, stars, money) as opposed to Cleveland. He did in fact take a pay-cut to play for the Heat, in fact I believe Bosh makes more then all of them since he signed a huge max deal with Toronto before being traded. He's still a fraud but no one can call him greedy on this one. Taking shortcuts perhaps but not greedy. He would have made more in Cleveland.

tsongaali
06-16-2011, 05:37 PM
You think murray has a good attitude? He throws a hissy fit when someone tags him with a tennis ball http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muM-UQc_Tnk. Just play on!

GOAT BAAH!!!
06-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Lets see if he can close the SW19 or will Dirk Nowitzki clown him...

also

Feliciano Lopez is Delonte West to Judy's Gloria...

think about it.
:)

GOAT BAAH!!!
07-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Better luck next time...

Dallas in 6...

sjam316
07-01-2011, 04:16 PM
After today i think the answer is definitely yes. In the way that they both crumble in the games that matter the most. Obviously murray is not the villain that lebron is, has much more class, etc. thats clear. I couldnt help but notice today how poorly murray did after the first set, it was very unlike how he had been playing. It's exactly the way lebron looked in the nba finals

forzamilan90
07-01-2011, 04:21 PM
In terms of not living up to the expectations and choking in big events, yes they are similar. Having said that, Lebron is the best all around player in the NBA (most versatile by far), while I don't think Murray is the best tennis player in the field, nor is he the most talented.