PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a racquet..going crazy

bdaniels
06-28-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm probably a 2.5-3.0 player. I've demoed about 20 racquets so far and still haven't found anything I like. When I play player improvement stuff it has way too much power and I send shots flying. When i play players racquets I mis-hit too much and play with no confidence, power, or consistency. I've also yet to find a tweener that I like. I've played Head liquidmetals, babolat pure drive +, yonex rdx series, volkl catapault v1, prokennex ionic series and the 7G...the list goes on.

Can anyone make any recommendations? I'm thinking of trying Tecnifibre or maybe Fischer. Any good tweeners from those guys I should try? I'm also open to suggestions for any tweener from major manufacturers.

:mad: :confused: :mad:

Forgot to mention...I like a heavier racquet, 11oz+ and I haven't really gotten attached to any specific string pattern or length yet (though I think I do hit better with standard length).

wtennis206
06-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Try the AeroPro Drive standard. I like it...although I lead it up a little bit.

racingdad23
06-28-2005, 08:01 PM
After a lay off of many years I picked the game back up and went through a similiar pattern of buying and trying well more than a dozen racquets.
Very frustrating. I finally picked up a couple of Fischer GDS racquets. The GDS 910 really helped me find my strokes again and was a pleasure to play with. Lots of control but light on power! I liked the feel of the GDS system so much that when I was ready for a more powerfull racquet I purchased the Fischer Rally FT. I'm a 3.5 recreational player and I play for fitness and enjoyment. So far these racquets have been a perfect fit.

AndrewD
06-28-2005, 08:34 PM
bdaniels,

perhaps a way in which you could compromise is to choose a lower powered frame that has a head size around the 98-100 sq range. The Prince Diablo mp isn't, in my opinion, a bad choice as it does have a comfortable weight and swingweight, a 100sq head size and a nice flex. Due to the larger head there is power but it isn't overwhelming. The lower flex will give you a good feel for your shots at impact and also be quite comfortable for the arm and shoulder. It is marginally longer than standard (27.25) but that can be altered or adjusted to as it isn't a great increase.

Another good idea would be to make out a list of the frames you've tried (post it here if you like) and try to see what they have in common. You might find that that all of the game improvement frames have one common thread and all of the players frames another. You can then say, 'that's what I dont like' and when you demo next, ensure that you dont go for something similar.

I'd also put weight to one side for the moment as you can always increase the weight of a frame. Focus more on swingweight, flex and headsize as they're pretty much non-adjustable (you can alter swingweight but its a pain). So, work out what headsize you might be most comfortable with, what swingweight and what flex. Let us know and we might be able to offer up some suggestions.

nViATi
06-28-2005, 09:05 PM
if you are a 2.5 you should just stick with your current racquet until you are a 3.5 or higher

yvp
06-28-2005, 10:50 PM
I Agree with nViATi.
If you don't,try the babolat pure control Zylon.

Coda
06-28-2005, 11:04 PM
what about getting a tweener(nPro, I also hear the PK's tweeners are good as well) and putting about half an ounce of lead on it?

Coda
06-28-2005, 11:10 PM
in response to Andrew's post, the Type R seems to work there

PrestigeClassic
06-28-2005, 11:37 PM
At your level, you'll get better playing with a dedicated frame, even if it's not the "best" for you at the moment. The "best" frame for you might change day-to-day! You should be presently on the steep end of your learning curve. If game-improvement frames make your shots fly, perhaps that means that you don't brush up on the ball like mad. In that case, stay away from those frames. Besides, wouldn't you like to learn proper stroke mechanics so that you can really take advantage of any frame once you get better? As for a frame for you now, a lot of people here laud the Dunlop 300G. As you get going, you can add lead tape to that frame to make it more solid.

Rory G
07-09-2005, 08:21 AM
I agree that the old Dunlop hm300g or the new version 300g might be worth a try. Its about your weight preference and has a nice feel to it. Also, the Volkl VE Tour 9 (it has open and dense patterns available) might be a possibility, although a bit heavy at 11.4oz. The new Volkl DNX (weighted up a bit) or V1 Classic could be nice demos for you as well. Good luck!