PDA

View Full Version : racquet tolerances

tarkowski
06-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Just a sanity check:

I received my third Wilson nCode6.1 95 18x20 from TW today. It's lighter (.2 oz, no biggie) with different graphics. But the main thing that concerns me is that it is a full 1/8 inch shorter than the others - 26 7/8. I haven't played with it yet - so before I do, should this be a concern for me? The others are identical at 27" flat.

As an aside, with pro-overgrip and string dampener, the three racquets weigh 12.7, 12.6, and 12.5oz, with the trend being the newer, the lighter.

Steve Huff
06-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Before deciding that it's too short, you need to have them all restrung by the same stringer. If it is indeed 1/8 of an ince shorter, personally, I'd call Wilson about getting a replacement. 1/8 of an ince may be within their tolerances, but they want you to continue using Wilson as well. They are very good to their customers which is one of the reasons they sell so well.

NoBadMojo
06-28-2005, 09:04 PM
steve makes a good point. the shorter frame could have compressed from stringing. this could either be from the frame being weak or it being mounted improperly in the stringer. unlikely, it came that way from the factory altho stranger things have happened. try and comare the width of the frames and if the shorter one is wider than the others, then that's prob what happened. industry standard tolerances are .03

tarkowski
06-29-2005, 04:35 AM
Thanks very much for the replies,

I had a chance to look at them more carefully this morning. If I stand them on their respective head-side edges, each is identical all the way up to the handle cap.

The head and stringbeds look identical as well. Same length, width, and frame thickness, with the strings laying on top of each other very well.

I think I'm losing that 1/8 inch somewhere in the handle.