PDA

View Full Version : have you ever been stuck? How did Federer decide?

jlukephoto
06-28-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm stuck between two grip sizes. For serving, a 4 1/2 grip fits just right. For ground strokes, the 4 5/8 is the most comfortable feel. So I'm thinking of getting a racket - the one I have in mind costs $180 - and I would awful if I got the smaller racket and wished I'd got the larger or vice versa.

Do you think I should get the smaller racket and then just use grip tape on it? Or do I get the larger racket and just hope I can get used to a slightly large grip when serving.

Also, I have a second question - I've heard that Federer uses a 4 3/8 grip, which seems really small for a guy who is about 6' 2". Do you think he uses a racket that might be small in his hands for better spin or control?

Thanks for any suggestions -

Jeff

rumstove
06-28-2005, 09:28 PM
If you truely can't decide between the 1/2 and 5/8 I suggest going small. That way you can always build the grip up using overgrips if needed.

Steve Huff
06-28-2005, 09:41 PM
No doubt, go small. An overgrip alone might make the difference you need.

AndrewD
06-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Better to err on the smaller side. You can always have a heat sleeve put on if you want it larger or, as rumstove says, add an overgrip. However, if you want it smaller its a pain in the bum to fix.

I made the mistake, when I was just getting back into the game, of erring on the larger side (Im in between grips like yourself but dislike overgrips) and buying a 4 5/8. However, I found it too uncomfortable (my new racquet was a different brand and grip shape to my old one) so had to sand down the grip to get it right. Would have been a lot easier if Id bought the 1/2 and worked up.

ikon
06-28-2005, 09:42 PM
how much does one overgrip increasee the racquet size?

NoBadMojo
06-28-2005, 10:33 PM
hi there..go smaller like the others have said, and yes, pros often use smaller grips than 'normal'. you have discovered one of the advantages already..the serve. i suggest using the right gripsize unless you are a good ball striker. downside of smaller grips= can lead to alot of harmful torque on mis-hits and they are more difficult to volley with and can lead to a too wristy swing on some shots. an overgrip can usually increase the grip size by 1/16 depending on the thickness of the overgrip of course.