PDA

View Full Version : Raonic Seeded at Wimbledon

T-ennis 888
06-16-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm not having a go at him as I personally think he will excel on grass (if not this year then in the future) but how come Raonic is seeded at SW19? He obviously has great potential but what exactly has he done so far to merit being seeded.

jamesblakefan#1
06-16-2011, 10:03 AM
He's ranked inside the top 32? :?

Why, are Tommy Robredo, Fognini, Stakhovsky, Montanes, Ljubicic really more deserving of a seed than Raonic?

Bryan Swartz
06-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Yep. He's ranked 26th and seeded 31st. At the other Slams he'd actually be seeded higher.

I guess the question would be, is there some other criteria that you think should be used or some other player who is more deserving?

T-ennis 888
06-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Yep. He's ranked 26th and seeded 31st. At the other Slams he'd actually be seeded higher.

I guess the question would be, is there some other criteria that you think should be used or some other player who is more deserving?

My understanding is that the seeding at Wimbledon has always been arranged slightly differently from other events. This is apparently due to (please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken) grass being a very unique surface and the grass season is very short indeed. A combination of past and present rankings are therefore used to create the seed list for Wimbledon and bearing this in mind I was a bit surprised to see Raonic being seeded.

I am actually really looking forward to seeing him on grass. The very first day I saw him play (the Memphis final earlier this year) all I remember thinking is that this guy's game will thrive on the surface. Roll on the first Monday of Wimbledon!

Max G.
06-16-2011, 06:41 PM
If I remember correctly, they use their grasscourt rankings to rearrange the seeds, but do not change who is seeded. The top 32 are still seeded.

JeMar
06-16-2011, 06:56 PM
My understanding is that the seeding at Wimbledon has always been arranged slightly differently from other events. This is apparently due to (please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken) grass being a very unique surface and the grass season is very short indeed. A combination of past and present rankings are therefore used to create the seed list for Wimbledon and bearing this in mind I was a bit surprised to see Raonic being seeded.

I am actually really looking forward to seeing him on grass. The very first day I saw him play (the Memphis final earlier this year) all I remember thinking is that this guy's game will thrive on the surface. Roll on the first Monday of Wimbledon!

The Wimbledon committee uses a formula to seed the men. Raonic is ranked in the mid-20s, so they actually moved him down, as others have stated. Because it's a mathematical formula, where the players fall is pretty much out of the organizer's hands. Raonic, because I don't think he played Wimbledon last year, fell at 31.

The Wreck
06-16-2011, 07:55 PM
If I remember correctly, they use their grasscourt rankings to rearrange the seeds, but do not change who is seeded. The top 32 are still seeded.

Can't be completely true since Venus, if I'm not mistaken, is ranked 33rd but was seeded higher. Granted, Clijsters isn't playing so the top 32 could still be seeded, but I figure had everyone else been there, somebody would have gotten bumped in favor of Venus.

Sneezy
06-16-2011, 08:08 PM
The Wimbledon committee uses a formula to seed the men. Raonic is ranked in the mid-20s, so they actually moved him down, as others have stated. Because it's a mathematical formula, where the players fall is pretty much out of the organizer's hands. Raonic, because I don't think he played Wimbledon last year, fell at 31.

I don't know the exact formula, but it uses a combination of points based on prior performances on grass court and their current ranking.

Why is it that the other Slams don't do the same?

Max G.
06-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Can't be completely true since Venus, if I'm not mistaken, is ranked 33rd but was seeded higher. Granted, Clijsters isn't playing so the top 32 could still be seeded, but I figure had everyone else been there, somebody would have gotten bumped in favor of Venus.

I think it's different for the womens side.