PDA

View Full Version : If we take the top 4 out, how many Slams does Soderling win in 2011?

tennis_pro
06-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Since I consider the field (don't get me wrong, not the top 4) to be weak, if we take out the top guys who are regularly in the latter stages of Slams, how many does Soderling rack up in 2011?

Consider the fact that Soderling has lost only to Fedal in the French Open, Wimbledon and US open since 2009, only non-Fedal losses were to Baghdatis, Granollers and Dolgopolov (Australian Opens 2009-2011).

BrooklynNY
06-16-2011, 12:36 PM
7 french opens in 8 years.

mandy01
06-16-2011, 12:38 PM
There is no guarantee he would be winning slams even without them.The absence of top guys also gives the other guys more of a chance.So you never know.

Tammo
06-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Since I consider the field (don't get me wrong, not the top 4) to be weak, if we take out the top guys who are regularly in the latter stages of Slams, how many does Soderling rack up in 2011?

Consider the fact that Soderling has lost only to Fedal in the French Open, Wimbledon and US open since 2009, only non-Fedal losses were to Baghdatis, Granollers and Dolgopolov (Australian Opens 2009-2011).

then wouldn't Soderling be number 1?

bluetrain4
06-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Sods is a good player, and, as he's shown with his two FO finals and 4 other Slam QFs, he can get deep into a Slam.

BUT, while he often loses to the top 4, he is also clearly capable of being upset by people ranked below him. So, take out the top 4 and it's far from a sure thing he'd win. There are a bunch of contenders if you take out the Top 4.

So, I'd say Soderling has 1 or 0 Slams without the Top 4. I'd give a healthy Ferrer a chance to win 1 Slam also.

tangerine
06-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Zero. Like Berdych he has his moments, but he's not a slam contender in any way, shape, or form.

tennis_pro
06-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Zero. Like Berdych he has his moments, but he's not a slam contender in any way, shape, or form.

In that case, who are your major winners?

Qubax
06-16-2011, 02:04 PM
I think Sod would get zero or one....

I'd say that Roddick would win Wimbly

Ferrer would have a great chance at the French

Del Po would work his way into good form just in time for the US Open and win in NYC

And the way Ferrer was playing at the Aussie open, if the top 4 guys weren't playing he may have won there was well...

So Ferrer 2, Roddick 1, Del Po 1...

and maybe Sod gets one

Ferrer would have been like a modern day spanish Hewitt....

Tennis_Monk
06-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Problem is we cant take the top 4 out. So bottom line is Bo Carl Soderling isnt going to win slams no matter what.

The Wreck
06-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Del Potro has Soderling's number big time (if you watch their match from Indian Wells you can clearly see they aren't best buddies either...).

He doesn't beat the 'average' players as easily/consistently as the top 4 do, and he doesn't always step it up in big moments. He may win 1, but I still say he goes 0-fer.

Breaker
06-16-2011, 08:11 PM
I think Sod would get zero or one....

I'd say that Roddick would win Wimbly

Ferrer would have a great chance at the French

Del Po would work his way into good form just in time for the US Open and win in NYC

And the way Ferrer was playing at the Aussie open, if the top 4 guys weren't playing he may have won there was well...

So Ferrer 2, Roddick 1, Del Po 1...

and maybe Sod gets one

Ferrer would have been like a modern day spanish Hewitt....

Ferrer would still likely have 0 slams even without the top 4 playing. He always loses at the French early compared to where he should (last two years Monfils and an absolute destruction by Melzer). He does not have the serve nor the attacking instinct to win a latter round slam match on a hard court where even someone like Davydenko or Wawrinka would be favoured ahead of him.